Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

AS: More tea, Vicar? - the British thread 2020

Comments

• Yes indeed - although I read that as "Alloa"!
  • Great news @Piglet - I’m so happy for you.
  • Yes indeed - although I read that as "Alloa"!

Great place to have a future! Right at the foot of the Ochils.
  • Fantastic news, Piglet. Looking forward to having you back in the neighbourhood
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Hurrah @Piglet! 👏🏼

Today is Pilates day for me followed by lunch with good friends. Then bathroom cleaning as we have a visitor coming tomorrow.

A friend has rescued a dog and I’m being a middle-woman as she’s in Cornwall and the dog is in Lancaster. So the rescue is bringing him to me and she’s picking him up along with lots of catching up, wine and chatting.

She’s another good friend made online - in my ‘other’ forum, a Labrador forum. I’m Boogie on there too - and an Admin (polishes halo).

• Great news, Piglet! (I have been following the threads, but not saying much!)

Have had builders here all day all week, as I am having a lift fitted, so I can get upstairs. Lots of banging, sawing and drilling, and my introvert nature is being stretched to breaking point! Keep telling myself its all in a good cause, which it is, and they are really nice people, but its Friday now, and not done yet!! :(. Mind you, having a 100 year old house did present a lot of problems for them! So I scream silently! :o
  • I know how you feel, the gardener is in the back garden and I’m avoiding walking past the kitchen windows so he doesn’t see me! I think if we had workmen in the house I would have to go on holiday or at least be working away from home.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    Excellent news, Piglet! So pleased for you!

I've had a Domestics morning, chasing laundry and such, and am off shortly to a Zumba class. Then Mr Nen and I are out this evening for a meeting with a discussion group that also involves a meal and wine. :smile:
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    Meal and wine sounds nice.
    I’ve had a morning of admin and reviewing tomorrow morning’s tutorial (on autonomy and capacity in end of life care, a nice interesting one). Now I’m going to mark some essays on working with children in the community. My subjects are quite varied!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Excellent news, @Piglet. Good luck with the packing and clearing!
  • Great news Piglet 🙃😊🙃
  • Thomasina wrote: »
    Great news, Piglet! (I have been following the threads, but not saying much!)

Have had builders here all day all week, as I am having a lift fitted, so I can get upstairs. Lots of banging, sawing and drilling, and my introvert nature is being stretched to breaking point! Keep telling myself its all in a good cause, which it is, and they are really nice people, but its Friday now, and not done yet!! :(. Mind you, having a 100 year old house did present a lot of problems for them! So I scream silently! :o
    I know how you feel, the gardener is in the back garden and I’m avoiding walking past the kitchen windows so he doesn’t see me! I think if we had workmen in the house I would have to go on holiday or at least be working away from home.

I'm glad I'm not the only Humming Bean who feels this way...I'm quite good at Silent Screaming whilst other peeps bustle round, doing what they do...
    :scream:
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Thanks everyone! I really shouldn't be messing about on here - I should be Doing Things - although in fairness I've cleared a good bit of the stuff that isn't coming with me - just a few drawers and cupboards to go. The stuff that is will be packed by the movers, so it's really just sorting stuff for charity shop, bin or giving away that needs to be done by me.

Still quite a daunting task though ... :flushed:
  • Yes indeed - more power to your trotters!

Re Mysterious Substances In Jars - do NOT put the said substances down the drain, or Susplosions might occur, should someone else chuck a fag-end, or a lighted match, into the said drains.

Just sayin'...

Keep the jars, though, as they may come in handy for future manufacture of Jam, Chutney, etc. etc.

OTOH, on reflection, Scotland is a Civilised Country™, and may well be able to provide jars.
    I think I'll have to re-start my jar collection when I get there - no point in shipping more weight than I have to!
  • Yes, that's what I thought!

A friend recently gave me some home-made chutney in what I take to be the modern version of a Kilner jar, so I assume they're still available.
    edited January 2020
    Over here you can buy Mason jars in various sizes in the supermarket - preserving is still quite a popular art here.

I'd never tried it until I came here, but now I love it - it's a very cost-effective way of sorting the Christmas present list!
  • AIUI, Kilner jars, and Mason jars, are similar, so you should be OK in finding something suitable in Scotland.

Yes indeed - jars of Jam, or Chutney, or preserved Fruits, are very suitable presents, at any time!
    :grin:
  • In the UK Lakeland, Wilkinson and Dunelm sell Kilner jars, as to independent cookery shops and (I suspect) John Lewis,
  • Also Sainsbury's - at least round here.
    So glad that you are on the move, Piglet.
  • Look forward to meeting you when you get back to the other city (as we in Glasgow see it :wink: ). Sorry I couldn't make it over whilst you were here over Christmas - a combination of commitment at my own cathedral, and then family stuff which kind of intervened....
  • I'm so pleased that Chateau Piglet has found a buyer and all is going through. `All power to you as you sort and decide what Comes and what Remains and what Goes Where. And i hope that your mysterious jars don't contain the next undiscovered antibiotic...although I often wonder that about mine....
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    So pleased it is all going ahead with the house (and country) move @Piglet. Hard work, but it will be worth it.
    I've just had an e-mail from the movers with a link to a shedload of forms to do with import duty exemptions on the stuff I'm bringing back - I don't remember all that palaver when we moved to Canada!

At least it can be done after the shipment has left. I'm also glad I haven't got any pets to worry about - that would complicate things even more.

I'm now at the stage where nearly all my clothes are sorted*, and I spent an enjoyable while this afternoon sorting through some photographs - well, mostly - some of the pictures brought on sniffage. :cry:

* Bin/charity shop/stuff I should keep with me/stuff that can go with the furniture because I shouldn't need it before early April (i.e. summer clothes).
  • Piglet wrote: »
    I've just had an e-mail from the movers with a link to a shedload of forms to do with import duty exemptions on the stuff I'm bringing back - I don't remember all that palaver when we moved to Canada!

At least it can be done after the shipment has left. I'm also glad I haven't got any pets to worry about - that would complicate things even more.

I'm now at the stage where nearly all my clothes are sorted*, and I spent an enjoyable while this afternoon sorting through some photographs - well, mostly - some of the pictures brought on sniffage. :cry:

* Bin/charity shop/stuff I should keep with me/stuff that can go with the furniture because I shouldn't need it before early April (i.e. summer clothes).

It seems you are doing very well with the clothes triage, @Piglet - and I think you will be OK even if your shipment is delayed. Last year in Scotland, I don’t think we managed to hit 20C until the end of June...

Of course, for natives and those of us with a couple of decades of acclimatisation, “shorts weather” starts at 16C.
  • @Piglet You might want to keep the bottle of D's favourite cologne if he wore it: even after 7 years a drop of Chanel No 19 brings back not only memories but comfort.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Nor when we moved back to the UK from West Africa in 1986.

• Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    Congratulations, Piglet, on the sale of the house. I hope that all goes swimmingly in Scotland. Don't become a stranger to the Canada thread!
    @Piglet You might want to keep the bottle of D's favourite cologne if he wore it ...
    Sadly, he didn't - just deodorant. He smoked - for a long time we both did, though latterly I would only have about one a week - and when I took his clothes home from the hospital I found a packet of cigs in the pocket of his jacket. One evening, I went out on to the deck and had one, but tbh I didn't really enjoy it, and the other day I threw away the rest. I don't think I'll be starting that again, even for the memories!

The estate agent's just been round and put up the SOLD sign, and photographed me beside it - now things are beginning to feel real ...
  • Wishing you... everything, I suppose, in the next few days Piglet: you’re going through such a lot of life changes in such a short space of time.
  • In the UK Lakeland, Wilkinson and Dunelm sell Kilner jars, as to independent cookery shops and (I suspect) John Lewis,

Can confirm John Lewis, well at least Waitrose to be technically correct but if Waitrose do then I suspect John Lewis do as it is the same company.
    Thanks, Ferijen. I've just deposited six bin-bags of clothes at the Value Village - and have decided I'll need to draft in the Strong-Armed Bloke who shifted the other books for me to get rid of the last eight boxes of books.

I don't envy them trying to sell some of the books - I doubt that anyone in New Brunswick is likely to be interested in Essex Churches or A Century of the Ulster Society of Organists and Choirmasters* ... :confused:

* In fairness to D., he didn't buy that one - the author, an organ anorak of the first division, sent it to me, as we're both mentioned in it.
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    The Essex Churches wouldn't be Pevsner, would it?
  • Congratulations on the house sale, piglet, and wishing you all the best as you continue to work through all the Things Which Must Be Done.

It’s a silly thing, but it warms my cynical heart a little bit that there are organ anoraks of various divisions.
  • If the Essex Churches book is indeed by Pevsner, there is a small niche market for such things in Ukland, so bring it with you. If you know someone who indulges in selling on Mr E Bay's online emporium, they might help pass it on to a new owner.

We had a Visitor to Our Place yesterday morning, when the church was open, and he bore in his hand the Pevsner volume which includes us...(said entry is not as flattering as it might be, but there yer go).
  • daisydaisydaisydaisy Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    Maybe there’ll be a revival of interest in Pevsner like Michael Portillo’s railway journeys series did to Bradshaws?
  • Mr Pevsner definitely had Opinions about things.
    It's too late - a couple of chaps* from the church have just left with the last shedload of books that I'm ditching to take them to Value Village.

I'm not sure that it was Pevsner - I remember seeing his books at D's mum's house, and this one was a bigger, hardback book.

* correction: a couple of total heroes - we got about a foot of snow (plus drifts) this morning, and what they did was way beyond the call of duty!
    I had to dig myself out to get to church today, and dig myself back in again afterwards; as it was D's successor's first Sunday I made the effort (i.e. got a taxi - the others in the choir who live out my way decided it was too risky, and I think they were right). There were only eight of us in the choir, but we made a valiant effort and a joyful noise.
  • So glad to hear that you were able to go. It was an important day to be there.
  • Damn! I was going to PM you, Piglet, about Essex Churches. A friend of mine studied under Pevsner, and when she became an editor at T&H worked on a couple of his books (couldn't tell you which ones, off hand). We and two other friends of hers once did a New Year's Day drive up to Wrest House, and to the tiny church in Silsoe, Pevsner in hand. I was slightly hungover, but it was wonderful, and returned to London for a very nice Italian dinner.

The smaller Pevsner books of your mother-in-law you mention were probably from the 40+ volumes of his Buildings of England series. He wrote other books, though, and I have a couple that might be called coffee table books.

Well, I may be disconsolate, but I realise that you're under the gun. At least you valiantly sallied out to church. Well done!

Daisydaisy - Why might there be a revival of interest in Pevsner? Something on British television I (in Canada) don't know about?
    I’m off to the vet this morning, poor Echo has woken up with a badly swollen eye and lumps on his face. It must be an allergy but I can’t think what it might be to, he hasn’t been near anything which could be the cause.

:confused:
  • daisydaisydaisydaisy Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    Daisydaisy - Why might there be a revival of interest in Pevsner? Something on British television I (in Canada) don't know about?
    @Pangolin Guerre there have been many BBC television series called “Great Railway Journeys” (and variations upon it) presented by ex-politician Michael Portillo based on Bradshaws Railway Guides.

Poor Echo - hope he feels better soon!

Those programmes by Michael Portillo were really good - and I say that as a non-trainspotter. D. loved them; like many organists, he was very much into steam-trains. (He used to have a book with mini-biographies of all the English cathedral organists, and, like Who's Who, it listed their hobbies, and quite a lot of them were train-related).

I really need to get myself in gear today - although nearly all the clearing out is done, there are things like cancelling phone and cable TV, transferring electricity and arranging to have my post forwarded to be done.

This would all be much easier if it wasn't just me, but if that were the case, I wouldn't be doing it at all ...

Sorry - moan over!
  • Piglet, you are entitled to have a moan sometimes; it can be very stress relieving!
  • I agree, you moan away piglet. That is a lot of work to be done.
    Piglet wrote: »

Those programmes by Michael Portillo were really good - and I say that as a non-trainspotter. D. loved them; like many organists, he was very much into steam-trains. (He used to have a book with mini-biographies of all the English cathedral organists, and, like Who's Who, it listed their hobbies, and quite a lot of them were train-related).

How fascinating! Child C is very keen on steam trains, as many small children are, I suppose, and he’s also very interested in the organ at church. Partly I think because you can put down the trumpet stop, play a low note, and it sounds like a forghorn, and is utterly hilarious. But also I think because he’s interested in how the whole thing works.

I’d be surprised if he became a cathedral organist, but it would be lovely if he developed an interest in playing.
  • The TV series Travels with Pevsner was made in the late 90s
  • Poor Echo! Hope it's something quickly and easily treated.

I'm leaving shortly for my Vet with sweet "A". It's for boarding for a few days (the plumbers are working in my back yard to replace a pipe --they've just arrived), but also a chance to see how she's doing after our scare on Saturday. She's much improved, but we need to keep an eye on her, her medications, etc.
  • The TV series Travels with Pevsner was made in the late 90s
    Ah ha - preceding the Great Railway Journeys series then.

Today I travelled into a nearby Cathedral city as the only passenger on the bus for the first of my jabs needed for Distant Lands. The return journey was on a sardine-like packed bus, and I was glad to see that this service is used well by students and business commuters even if not much during the day.
    Thank you

Echo had a steroid injection and is on antihistamines for two days. His lumps and swellings have gone down. He’s very snoozy due to the medication but I think he’ll be fine.

I’m glad ‘A’ seems much better @Pigwidgeon
  • daisydaisy wrote: »
    Today I travelled into a nearby Cathedral city as the only passenger on the bus .... The return journey was on a sardine-like packed bus ...
    Of course a bus has to "go" so it can "come"; only in large conurbations, where there is a lot of travel between areas rather than just between outskirts and centre, is it likely to be reasonably well-filled in both directions.