Purgatory : Refugees

Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
edited April 2021 in Limbo
So, in the UK at least refugees have risen in the news with an increase in the trickle of refugees crossing the Channel in inadequate boats.

I propose that we need to revamp our refugee system: how we define refugees (anyone willing to take the risks of crossing the Channel in a small boat is clearly fleeing something significant, even if they don't fit the precise legal definition of refugee), we need to rethink the controls so that we can cut criminal traffickers out of the process (many of which then feed people into modern slavery), and we need to rethink how we welcome those who have sanctuary in our lands. My thoughts are below, have at it ...

I'm working from an assumption that there's a moral duty for wealthy nations such as the UK to offer sanctuary to those fleeing war, persecution, poverty, environmental catastrophe etc. Especially when our actions as a nation and individuals have contributed to the conditions that people can no longer live in. That we should be a nation that provides a welcome to those who have no where to go, a nation better represented by Premier League clubs opening their grounds to tours by refugees than professional wind-bags mouthing off against such acts.

I'm also sure that the best possible solution is to eliminate the drivers for refugees - to stop supplying weapons to groups engaged in war against their neighbours or their own citizens, to write off debts and trade fairly so that we can help life other nations out of crippling poverty, to reduce our excessive use of resources and the resulting pollution that's driving the environment into increasingly less fit for humans, etc. But, I recognise that these aren't going to be easy, and even if we change today there's going to be a significant lag before people start to benefit, and in the meantime there will be millions of people who need to move elsewhere.

Currently our nation has a policy that is directly contrary to providing sanctuary to those who are in need. With a massive crisis on the doorsteps of Europe (the war in Syria) the UK has welcomed no more than a handful of refugees, far fewer than the other nations of Europe. With little in the way of official means of bringing people in need into the country, those fleeing put their lives in the hands of people smugglers at great personal cost. For a fraction of the costs of the navy patrolling the Channel, a ferry could be hired to safely bring people into the country cutting the illegal activities of people traffickers out from under them.

Also we have a bizarre policy of not allowing those seeking asylum from working, instead the government (national and local) pays to provide them with barely adequate housing and food. Letting them work would reduce the costs to the nation of providing a place of safety, and provide them with the dignity of providing for themselves and their families. And, in some cases these are qualified people (doctors, nurses etc), even though they might need some assessment to confirm those qualifications before they can work in those fields.

Comments

• I apologise that this is a long read but it covers what I think quite comprehensively:

http://alienfromzog.blogspot.com/2015/06/immoral-hazard.html

I would particularly like to emphasise this link in that blog post: https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2013/12/17/the-hidden-stories-of-the-people-britain-will-deport-tonight.

The other noteworthy point which is also circulating on Twitter at the moment is that a nation that panicked about toilet rolls shortages seems incapable of imagining what real hardship feels like... Also on Twitter; Farage is working hard as a one-man fear campaign, I see. Desperate to make himself relevant to his devotees.

It all makes me very angry and ashamed to be British.

AFZ
  • Me too.

Alas, under the present *leadership*, it's unlikely to improve. If OTOH there is ever a significant change in the way this country is governed (i.e. by a party other than the Selfservative & Delusionist Gang), we may see a difference in attitude, although, as Alan says, it'll take a while.

I expect to hear of gunboats off the shores of this fair county (Kent) any day now, Horrid Foreign People Not Like Us for the sinking of...
    :rage:
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    How dare these people (Farage, Patel et al) even claim to be human, let alone represent Britain.
  • I agree with everything Alan says. I add that refugees and migration generally is a major driver of population and economic growth in Australia. It used to be said that we live off the sheep's back. Now it is said that we live off the miner's back. Both are wrong. We live, and have always lived, off the backs of our immigrants.
  • Wasn't there just a vote to keep the foreign devils out? What gives anyone the idea that actually helping refugees has any legs in the UK?
  • Alan Cresswell Alan Cresswell Admin, 8th Day Host
    I think there are signs of hope that moves in Parliament to make things worse haven't got anywhere, so children can still be re-united with family already in the UK despite attempts to have them left in camps without anyone to look after them. Also, petitions to protect refugees always manage to gain significant numbers of signatures - for example calls to let asylum seekers work, to end the practice of taking refugees out of flats or houses they've been put in to fill hotels etc.
  • Also we have a bizarre policy of not allowing those seeking asylum from working, instead the government (national and local) pays to provide them with barely adequate housing and food. Letting them work would reduce the costs to the nation of providing a place of safety, and provide them with the dignity of providing for themselves and their families. And, in some cases these are qualified people (doctors, nurses etc), even though they might need some assessment to confirm those qualifications before they can work in those fields.

I think however lonely the path, this has to be pursued on purely humanitarian rather than instrumental grounds, because doing the latter is what got us to where we are currently.

48% did not want Brexit. That's a goodly number of legs, especially since some people who did are eager to claim that it wan't immigration that made them vote that way.
  • Penny S wrote: »
    48% did not want Brexit. That's a goodly number of legs, especially since some people who did are eager to claim that it wan't immigration that made them vote that way.
    48% of those who voed, more than 48% of people in general.
    Still, the parties of the people who voted against it are not in power.
  • TelfordTelford Deckhand, Styx
    edited August 2020
    So, in the UK at least refugees have risen in the news with an increase in the trickle of refugees crossing the Channel in inadequate boats.

I propose that we need to revamp our refugee system: how we define refugees (anyone willing to take the risks of crossing the Channel in a small boat is clearly fleeing something significant, even if they don't fit the precise legal definition of refugee), we need to rethink the controls so that we can cut criminal traffickers out of the process (many of which then feed people into modern slavery), and we need to rethink how we welcome those who have sanctuary in our lands. My thoughts are below, have at it ...

I'm working from an assumption that there's a moral duty for wealthy nations such as the UK to offer sanctuary to those fleeing war, persecution, poverty, environmental catastrophe etc. Especially when our actions as a nation and individuals have contributed to the conditions that people can no longer live in. That we should be a nation that provides a welcome to those who have no where to go, a nation better represented by Premier League clubs opening their grounds to tours by refugees than professional wind-bags mouthing off against such acts.

I'm also sure that the best possible solution is to eliminate the drivers for refugees - to stop supplying weapons to groups engaged in war against their neighbours or their own citizens, to write off debts and trade fairly so that we can help life other nations out of crippling poverty, to reduce our excessive use of resources and the resulting pollution that's driving the environment into increasingly less fit for humans, etc. But, I recognise that these aren't going to be easy, and even if we change today there's going to be a significant lag before people start to benefit, and in the meantime there will be millions of people who need to move elsewhere.

Currently our nation has a policy that is directly contrary to providing sanctuary to those who are in need. With a massive crisis on the doorsteps of Europe (the war in Syria) the UK has welcomed no more than a handful of refugees, far fewer than the other nations of Europe. With little in the way of official means of bringing people in need into the country, those fleeing put their lives in the hands of people smugglers at great personal cost. For a fraction of the costs of the navy patrolling the Channel, a ferry could be hired to safely bring people into the country cutting the illegal activities of people traffickers out from under them.

Also we have a bizarre policy of not allowing those seeking asylum from working, instead the government (national and local) pays to provide them with barely adequate housing and food. Letting them work would reduce the costs to the nation of providing a place of safety, and provide them with the dignity of providing for themselves and their families. And, in some cases these are qualified people (doctors, nurses etc), even though they might need some assessment to confirm those qualifications before they can work in those fields.

BIB....I thought you were a supporter of the EU. What do you think these people have to fear whilst in France ?
  • Telford wrote: »

BIB....I thought you were a supporter of the EU. What do you think these people have to fear whilst in France ?

Not speaking the language? Racism? Lack of family members? Lack of an existing immigrant community to help them integrate?
    Telford wrote: »

Not speaking the language? Racism? Lack of family members? Lack of an existing immigrant community to help them integrate?

I never knew that people were so badly treated in the EU.

Plenty of countries have a racism problem. France has a particularly bad one because there is no official monitoring so it can go on without hindrance. Other EU countries (particularly Poland and Hungary) have racism issues, as well as other human rights problems. Nobody ever claimed the EU was perfect or that its member states were.
  • RussRuss Deckhand, Styx
    Are you suggesting that asylum seekers be given temporary refuge in Britain until the regime that has oppressed them has moderated or been overthrown ? Or suggesting that having suffered gives them first place in the queue to migrate to Britain permanently ?

Plenty of countries have a racism problem. France has a particularly bad one because there is no official monitoring so it can go on without hindrance. Other EU countries (particularly Poland and Hungary) have racism issues, as well as other human rights problems. Nobody ever claimed the EU was perfect or that its member states were.

Never the less these people are not fleeing from the French.

They should have nothing to fear in France - they have fled other nations where they have genuine fears and there are reasons for them wanting refuge in the UK: speaking the language or other cultural similarities, knowing there's a community of other refugees they know here, preferring rainy weather ... they probably don't know that the UK hasn't welcomed as many refugees as France and other EU nations and so should be welcoming more to pick up our fair share of the burden.

The EU has a scheme for moving refugees from the first border they crossed to other nations to settle down. A scheme that hasn't worked very well, but at least exists, and the UK has taken significantly less than our share of that burden (not doing our bit is part of the reason it hasn't worked very well). That sort of pan-European support for refugees is one of the things that the EU should be ideally placed to sort out.
    Russ wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that asylum seekers be given temporary refuge in Britain until the regime that has oppressed them has moderated or been overthrown ? Or suggesting that having suffered gives them first place in the queue to migrate to Britain permanently ?
    I would say that, unless there's very good reason to expect the reason for their flight to be very short lived (but, in those cases people don't tend to go very far - those fleeing famine usually end up in camps in their own country or just across the border of neighbouring countries and return home as soon as rains come), refugees will be settling down permanently. That is the nature of asylum for the vast majority of people, throughout the world there are refugee camps that are more like small towns where people have lived for generations (the classic examples being the Palestinian refugee camps in Lebanon, Gaza an elsewhere).
  • Russ wrote: »

I'm suggesting it is in Australia's national interests to accept a larger number of migrants, irrespective of their reasons for migrating. It is probably in the UK's national interests as well, but I don't know for sure.

I think I heard people say the humanitarian reasons should be given prominence. I say that a great many people will not accept humanitarian reasons, and that in a democracy, you need more than one argument to get things up. I say that if you want to help refugees you need to participate in the figurative political street fights.
  • Forgive me if in my ignorance I am stating the obvious, but isn't the Jewish Diaspora the result of people fleeing persecution in their homeland and becoming refugees?

If so then it would be startling, if not shameful, for any Christian to be hostile to refugees seeking sanctuary.
  • Indeed that is the case Colin.

See Sweet Honey in the Rock

They should have nothing to fear in France - they have fled other nations where they have genuine fears and there are reasons for them wanting refuge in the UK: speaking the language or other cultural similarities, knowing there's a community of other refugees they know here, preferring rainy weather ... they probably don't know that the UK hasn't welcomed as many refugees as France and other EU nations and so should be welcoming more to pick up our fair share of the burden.

The EU has a scheme for moving refugees from the first border they crossed to other nations to settle down. A scheme that hasn't worked very well, but at least exists, and the UK has taken significantly less than our share of that burden (not doing our bit is part of the reason it hasn't worked very well). That sort of pan-European support for refugees is one of the things that the EU should be ideally placed to sort out.

Once they are in a safe dcountry like France they are no longer regugees fleeing for their life. They become an illegal economic migrant if they want to illegally entered the UK

I would be happy for the UN to be in charge of the distribution of refugees.
    They had some Australian on the radio this morning advocating that we followed the Australian pattern of dealing with refugees. As I couldn't cope with listening to someone who advocates the sort of camps I have read of, I didn't listen. We also had the deputy for Calais and someone pointing out that as there is no international water between England and France, using the Royal Navy for push back would lead to difficult diplomatic issues. I'm not sure how our navy would respond to being told to ignore the care which mariners are supposed to offer to people in trouble at sea. We don't have access to third world islands in the vicinity to force to take people we don't want, either.
    These are people we are thinking of. Not a swarm of Portuguese-Men-of-War*.
    Take refuge in the word "illegal" if you want. It won't shield you from the force of the word "immoral". Eventually.
    *The jellyfish.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Penny S wrote: »
    They had some Australian on the radio this morning advocating that we followed the Australian pattern of dealing with refugees. As I couldn't cope with listening to someone who advocates the sort of camps I have read of, I didn't listen.

Very sensible. You've not missed anything apart from a string of racist bile.

Once they are in a safe dcountry like France they are no longer regugees fleeing for their life. They become an illegal economic migrant if they want to illegally entered the UK

As I said in my OP, we need to rethink the system. The concept of once someone's in a safe country they can't move on is one of those ideas. Taken to an extreme it would mean that refugees from Syria (to take one example) would just sit down in safety as soon as they cross the border into Lebanon or Turkey. Which would create massive problems both for the refugees and host countries, but may be suitable when the reason for fleeing is short term (eg: if the war in Syria was to end in a few months and they could go home ... but the people of Syria would know full well that that would be a pipe dream). The concept of re-locating refugees beyond where they first land isn't new. In the town where I live there's a Vietnamese community, people who escaped Vietnam in boats and made it to Hong Kong (or were picked up on the way) and subsequently the UK government brought them here.
    I occasionally look into Flightradar24 to see who is buzzing overhead, and why the older flightpath isn't active any more, and this morning, by extending the map a bit, see the RAF is now involved in a search pattern over the Downs (that is the bit of sea between the Goodwin Sands and Kent) having flown out of Brize Norton. Sometimes there's a drone out of Lydd, but that's border force.

I did wonder, in the silence after turning the radio off, what would happen if the indigenous Australians were to suggest that being open to refugees might be a good idea.
  • RussRuss Deckhand, Styx
    Simon Toad wrote: »
    Russ wrote: »

I'm suggesting it is in Australia's national interests to accept a larger number of migrants, irrespective of their reasons for migrating. It is probably in the UK's national interests as well, but I don't know for sure.

I think I heard people say the humanitarian reasons should be given prominence. I say that a great many people will not accept humanitarian reasons, and that in a democracy, you need more than one argument to get things up.

I agree that immigrants have contributed much to the UK, and that it is in the interests of a country (whether Ireland, UK, Australia or any other) to accept a certain level of immigration.

But asylum seekers are almost by definition migrants through force of circumstance rather than migrants by choice.

It seems to me that the humanitarian argument is an argument for offering temporary refuge to those in need of it.

And the self-interest argument is an argument for accepting permanently (making your own) those immigrants who have most to offer to the receiving country. (Whether that's in terms of skills and education, or personal qualities of intelligence and diligence and law-abidingness, or desire to assimilate into the receiving culture).

And whilst coincidentally it may happen that the person you help out when they're in need turns out to be just the person you wanted to know anyway, it doesn't follow logically that this will be so.

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I did wonder, in the silence after turning the radio off, what would happen if the indigenous Australians were to suggest that being open to refugees might be a good idea.

Perhaps those in metropolitan areas could make such a suggestion, but I'd not be surprised if those living outside those areas have given no thought to the issue.
    The Border Force patrol boat is still in harbour at Dover. Of course, the inflatables don't have transponders.
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    In principle it is a good idea to move people in from the nation they land in to other EU countries . The reasons given for people pushing on to the UK are also sound. The problem is what is the next move. Lots of people in small boats is not good. The government wants to make us less attractive. That is not a good solution. Immigrants, as mentioned don’t realise we take fewer people than anyone else so they push on. What is the answer?
  • The notion that refugees must claim asylum in the first safe country they come to is nonsense anyway. There is a convention across the EU to support this, with subsequent distribution so local services of certain countries aren't overwhelmed. The point here is to minimise unsafe travel.

Britain is not remotely welcoming to refugees but there is one major attraction: the English language. Given that English is the most common second language in the world, it's not surprising that people who are running away from everything they know might want some hope of being able to communicate when they arrive. And as Alan said there are other factors like pre-existing communities. Not to mention the idea that refugees fleeing are able to be well informed on asylum procedures of their destination is plainly ridiculous.

I think this thought experiment is clarifying here... imagine that suddenly the UK wasn't safe for you and you had to flee... where would you go? Where would Mrs-Dr-AFZ and I take the 2yr old & 8m old Zogglets??? For me, the English language is important, due to my complete lack of language skills. So if small boat was my only means, that limits me to the Republic of Ireland! Which would struggle to cope with more than a few thousand UK refugees. If air travel is an option, that opens up a lot of the world but the USA and Australia are not welcoming! Although, to be fair, I might be OK, as I'm white! Canada might be an option but will they not accept me because France is much closer???

A very small amount of thought takes one to realising that the rationalisations for our nation's cruelty hold very little water... in fact they are as leaky as many refugee boats...

But the most disgusting thing I have heard in a while was a Kent MP's argument on the radio news. Basically she said if you didn't support a tough approach (whatever the hell that means - although we can guess...) then you were supporting modern slavery and exploitation.

The problem ultimately, is that we see refugees as less than fully human, as worth less than 'us.'

Back during the 2005 election, I saw a piece of graffiti in Bristol that read "Refugees are not the problem, deport the politicians!" Far be it from me to generalise or dehumanise (even politicians) but ultimately it is about the powerful shifting the blame for all sorts of ills to the powerless. The powerless people are fully human and not responsible for the actions of the powerful. If someone wants to argue from a moral and/or Christian perspective that we in wealthy countries shouldn't take refugees then that's the argument you need to overcome...

AFZ

• North East QuineNorth East Quine Purgatory Host
    Originally posted by Telford:

Scotland undertook to take 2000 Syrian refugees through the UNHCR scheme by 2020, reached that target by 2017, and has continued to take in more. The UN moves families whose health makes it risky to remain in the camps. None of these families could have made the long trek across Europe.

We have three families of Syrian refugees in our village, one in my street, who were flown here by the UN from refugee camps in Egypt. There are more Syrians in the nearest town, and in Aberdeen.

It has worked very well; they arrive to welcome signs, furnished homes, access to translators, and, most importantly, health care.

Here is one of my local refugees, telling his story.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIP_qysJbl8

I'm pleased that you support this, Telford. Obviously it means that the host country has to invest in housing, education, translators, support workers, health care etc, but we gain people who are an asset to the community.
    I think this thought experiment is clarifying here... imagine that suddenly the UK wasn't safe for you and you had to flee... where would you go?
    Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) has concluded that the UK isn't safe. Apparently he's currently in Spain considering where to take his family. So much for his calls for refugees to stop at the first safe country they reach, the irony hurts ...
  • HugalHugal Shipmate
    The notion that refugees must claim asylum in the first safe country they come to is nonsense anyway. There is a convention across the EU to support this, with subsequent distribution so local services of certain countries aren't overwhelmed. The point here is to minimise unsafe travel.

Britain is not remotely welcoming to refugees but there is one major attraction: the English language. Given that English is the most common second language in the world, it's not surprising that people who are running away from everything they know might want some hope of being able to communicate when they arrive. And as Alan said there are other factors like pre-existing communities. Not to mention the idea that refugees fleeing are able to be well informed on asylum procedures of their destination is plainly ridiculous.

I think this thought experiment is clarifying here... imagine that suddenly the UK wasn't safe for you and you had to flee... where would you go? Where would Mrs-Dr-AFZ and I take the 2yr old & 8m old Zogglets??? For me, the English language is important, due to my complete lack of language skills. So if small boat was my only means, that limits me to the Republic of Ireland! Which would struggle to cope with more than a few thousand UK refugees. If air travel is an option, that opens up a lot of the world but the USA and Australia are not welcoming! Although, to be fair, I might be OK, as I'm white! Canada might be an option but will they not accept me because France is much closer???

A very small amount of thought takes one to realising that the rationalisations for our nation's cruelty hold very little water... in fact they are as leaky as many refugee boats...

But the most disgusting thing I have heard in a while was a Kent MP's argument on the radio news. Basically she said if you didn't support a tough approach (whatever the hell that means - although we can guess...) then you were supporting modern slavery and exploitation.

The problem ultimately, is that we see refugees as less than fully human, as worth less than 'us.'

Back during the 2005 election, I saw a piece of graffiti in Bristol that read "Refugees are not the problem, deport the politicians!" Far be it from me to generalise or dehumanise (even politicians) but ultimately it is about the powerful shifting the blame for all sorts of ills to the powerless. The powerless people are fully human and not responsible for the actions of the powerful. If someone wants to argue from a moral and/or Christian perspective that we in wealthy countries shouldn't take refugees then that's the argument you need to overcome...

AFZ

Establish communities I can understand. You said English is the most popular second language. Yes that is true. The Germans and the Dutch in particular speak excellent English. So whilst I kind of agree with you as a whole I wonder if English is a significant a factor as you say. You know more about than I do but I wonder if a ready made community is the real draw.
    edited August 2020
    I think that MP may be the wife of Mr Elphick, who inherited his seat in Dover (which wasn't like that when I lived there, not even in the Young Conservatives), with his opinions, but is now divorcing him. The area became fairly poisonous as I saw in the local paper when it took on the URC which was opening its hall to refugees/asylum seekers*. And the deeply awkward situation in another local church where we had gone to look at the aged yew tree and a couple tidying offered to show us the church, which "we have to keep locked because if it was open it would be full of refugees in five minutes". We were polite. I wanted to do the sand from the shoes thing.
    *Thus redeeming itself from expelling my mother.
    PS Two search and rescue boats are now out under the RAF tracks, and the Border Force is still in port, but will be heading for SAR HQ. Isn't the web wonderful?

This is not true.

This is not true.

Excellent article, thank you.
  • I think this thought experiment is clarifying here... imagine that suddenly the UK wasn't safe for you and you had to flee... where would you go?
    Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) has concluded that the UK isn't safe. Apparently he's currently in Spain considering where to take his family. So much for his calls for refugees to stop at the first safe country they reach, the irony hurts ...

It is very painful isn't it.

A thug fleeing milkshakes and Twitter is a very long way from a genuine refugee...

Just to be clear here, if Mr Yaxley-Lennon does indeed have legitimate concerns about his and his family's safety (I remain skeptical but OK...) there is no doubt that he has all the rights and protections he needs under UK law. The. Very. Opposite. Of. Refugees'. Experiences.

AFZ
    <snip>
    PS Two search and rescue boats are now out under the RAF tracks, and the Border Force is still in port, but will be heading for SAR HQ. Isn't the web wonderful?

Do be careful @Penny S - they may be tracking you...
    :flushed:
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 2020
    BTW - remember the (in)famous camp at Calais a year or two back? The inhabitants had set up a thriving economy, including shops and cafes, using very little in the way of resources. I recall photos of two young Eritrean girls eating what looked like an interesting vegetarian meal, and an Afghan chap proudly displaying his sign 'The Afghan Chicken n'Chips Cafe'!

I'd love to have been able to find out what his food was like, and, indeed, I did have the opportunity of visiting the camp with church peeps from England and France. Alas, lack of mobility meant that it probably wasn't a Good Idea...

There was also a wonderful 'pop-up' Orthodox Church in the camp, made from bits of anything-they-could-find, but complete with icons etc. (and a priest, too, IIRC).

IOW, these were all ORDINARY PEOPLE trying against desperate odds to live their lives.

O to be able to put Johnson, Patel, Mrs Elphicke, Farage etc. behind a wire fence, and see how they manage to survive...
    :rage:
    I think this thought experiment is clarifying here... imagine that suddenly the UK wasn't safe for you and you had to flee... where would you go?

It is very painful isn't it.

A thug fleeing milkshakes and Twitter is a very long way from a genuine refugee...

Just to be clear here, if Mr Yaxley-Lennon does indeed have legitimate concerns about his and his family's safety (I remain skeptical but OK...) there is no doubt that he has all the rights and protections he needs under UK law. The. Very. Opposite. Of. Refugees'. Experiences.

AFZ
    Aye, I tend to put any action on the part of Mr Yaxley-Lennon under the banner of "seeking attention" rather than him having any legitimate concern.
  • Was it perhaps on Yes, Minister , or Yes, Prime Minister , where the theory was put forward that, if an asylum-seeker was fleeing a threat of murder in his own country, the thing to do was to deport him back to that country?

If he was then indeed murdered, that was proof that he was being truthful...
    :confounded:
    The RAF is still going to and fro weaving a darning pattern over the straits, but the 2 SAR boats and the Border force ship have completely vanished from the marine tracker! Patel is down there, I gather.
    edited August 2020
    Two SAR boats round Dungeness, picked up by satellite on another site. Another one has nipped round to Sheppey. No sign of the big ship sailing on the .....
    the 2 SAR boats and the Border force ship have completely vanished from the marine tracker! Patel is down there, I gather.
    Well, that's reasonable. Anyone with some common sense will find a reason to be somewhere else if Ms Patel is putting in an appearance.
    They had some Australian on the radio this morning advocating that we followed the Australian pattern of dealing with refugees. As I couldn't cope with listening to someone who advocates the sort of camps I have read of, I didn't listen. We also had the deputy for Calais and someone pointing out that as there is no international water between England and France, using the Royal Navy for push back would lead to difficult diplomatic issues. I'm not sure how our navy would respond to being told to ignore the care which mariners are supposed to offer to people in trouble at sea.
    Given tht racism and Nationalism are problems in the military...
    Not a swarm of Portuguese-Men-of-War.¹
    <snip>
    ¹The jellyfish.
    Pedantically, they are not jellyfish.ₐ

ₐNo, I don't mean the stupid jellies v jellyfish, but they are a different creature. Actually, they are a colonial organism. Really quite interesting.

the 2 SAR boats and the Border force ship have completely vanished from the marine tracker! Patel is down there, I gather.
    Well, that's reasonable. Anyone with some common sense will find a reason to be somewhere else if Ms Patel is putting in an appearance.

If they've disappeared, it'll save them having to arrest Ms Patel as a Horrid Brown Person Not Like Us...wasn't she the one who said she'd deport her own parents if necessary?
    :grimace:

• Also we have a bizarre policy of not allowing those seeking asylum from working, instead the government (national and local) pays to provide them with barely adequate housing and food. Letting them work would reduce the costs to the nation of providing a place of safety, and provide them with the dignity of providing for themselves and their families. And, in some cases these are qualified people (doctors, nurses etc), even though they might need some assessment to confirm those qualifications before they can work in those fields.

Whatever you think about the refugee question, this one makes no sense at all. If people are going to be in the country (whether it's for a couple of years while the situation in their homeland stabilizes, or they're here for the long term), it makes no sense at all to prevent them from working. I can only assume that this is intended as some sort of blunt tool to deter economic migrants - if you know that what you can expect when you seek refuge is a camp and a bowl of rice, then people who are poor-but-safe in their homes aren't going to bother.

Whatever you think about the refugee question, this one makes no sense at all. If people are going to be in the country (whether it's for a couple of years while the situation in their homeland stabilizes, or they're here for the long term), it makes no sense at all to prevent them from working. I can only assume that this is intended as some sort of blunt tool to deter economic migrants - if you know that what you can expect when you seek refuge is a camp and a bowl of rice, then people who are poor-but-safe in their homes aren't going to bother.

I think there may be a couple of other arguments there. One is a 'good' argument and the other is a 'bad' argument, though both are flawed.

The 'good' argument is it could stop the refugees being exploited, though there's plenty of evidence that many refugees are exploited and some end up as effectively slave labour. The 'bad' argument is it appeases those who fear migrants taking 'their' jobs.

That said, giving refugees a sense of worth by employing them in at least some capacity beats both arguments.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited August 2020
    Ah, but (say the Faragists et al ), these Horrid Brown Foreign People are taking the jobs of the TrueBlue English!

This cannot be borne! Send the HBFPs back, or put them in concentration camps!

So your assumption @Leorning Cniht is probably correct...
  • Ah, but (say the Faragists et al ), these Horrid Brown Foreign People are taking the jobs of the TrueBlue English!

This cannot be borne! Send the HBFPs back, or put them in concentration camps!

So your assumption @Leorning Cniht is probably correct...

Unfortunately yes. Though having cut off the supply of eastern European migrant workers the Faragists might want to think about who's going to pick our fruit and veg because sure as eggs are eggs (assuming someone collects the eggs) the Faragists won't be working in the fields.