Rossweisse
RIP Rossweisse, HellHost and long-time Shipmate.
Please see the thread in All Saints remembering her.

Telford

BoogieBoogie Shipmate
It’s time you had your very own Hell thread, so that perfectly good discussions can be saved from becoming all about you.

You are single handedly putting me off visiting the Ship, and I’m a 30-a-day addict.

Enough said.

🤬😡

Comments

• Two.
  • A dull and boring thread title. Matches the subject. I made the mistake of thinking he was worth putting a bit of thought into the thread title.
  • You do the originator of that name an injustice, sir: https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/man-of-iron-9781408837467/.

(Having read the book, I have to say that Thomas Telford, despite his enginerring achievements, doesn't come across as a particularly interesting character - although he may have been a closet gay man).
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    A dull and boring thread title. Matches the subject. I made the mistake of thinking he was worth putting a bit of thought into the thread title.

I had several fun titles in mind. None described him at all.

🙄

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited September 16
    Telford the Thread-Killer might describe him fairly well, as his dead hand descends on an otherwise interesting subject, and forces attention upon his dull and boring self...
    :disappointed:

• ...Thomas Telford, despite his enginerring [nice typo, I'll use it :smile: ] achievements, doesn't come across as a particularly interesting character...

Come on, us enginerrs, errr engineers, just make things work, and make them cheap(er). That makes us boring as hell, as we tell everyone why they can't have unicorns and engineer-splain all over whatever groovy shit is going down. I wouldn't invite me to a party - I'd probably bring meccano or an overhead projector or something.
  • What's wrong with a meccano party? You've tapped into the bit of my brain that got involved with stuff at school. Issue groups with a bunch of straws, thread, rubber bands and a marble and have a competition to see who can get their marble held stably highest off the ground! Stuff like that.
  • Sounds deeply cool to me - but I am an enginerr :smile:
  • Doesn't have to be Telford the engineer - what about Telford the town in Shropshire? That doesn't have a huge amount to recommend it.
  • Penny S wrote: »
    What's wrong with a meccano party? You've tapped into the bit of my brain that got involved with stuff at school. Issue groups with a bunch of straws, thread, rubber bands and a marble and have a competition to see who can get their marble held stably highest off the ground! Stuff like that.
    The horrors of staff team-building exercises. Arrggghhhh!
  • HelenEva wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be Telford the engineer - what about Telford the town in Shropshire? That doesn't have a huge amount to recommend it.

Quite - and it's named after the great enginerr, who, in all fairness, is said to have had a hearty laugh!

Unlike the subject of this thread, who I fear does not have much of a SOH...not that that's his fault, poor lamb.

• HugalHugal Shipmate
    Boogie wrote: »
    It’s time you had your very own Hell thread, so that perfectly good discussions can be saved from becoming all about you.

You are single handedly putting me off visiting the Ship, and I’m a 30-a-day addict.

Enough said.

🤬😡

Isn’t this Telford’s second he’ll call?
  • I'm a bit worried by all this talk of "enginerrs" - aren't they people who design bridges that fall down? Telford's greatest works (the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and the Menai Bridge) have both been around for about 200 years (although he didn't get the Menai Bridge right first time and it's had to be modified more than once over the years - well, it was almost untried technology).

I'm glad that my training was in Proper Engineering (Mechanical not Civil), though I've never practised.
    edited September 16
    Hugal wrote: »
    Boogie wrote: »

Enough said.

🤬😡

Isn’t this Telford’s second he’ll call?

Yes, it is. It'll be (very mildly) interesting to see if he responds...if he does, it will be as Insulted And Outraged Of Shropshire, I expect.
    *sigh*
    I'm a bit worried by all this talk of "enginerrs" - aren't they people who design bridges that fall down? Telford's greatest works (the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and the Menai Bridge) have both been around for about 200 years (although he didn't get the Menai Bridge right first time and it's had to be modified more than once over the years - well, it was almost untried technology).

I'm glad that my training was in Proper Engineering (Mechanical not Civil), though I've never practised.

Thomas Telford was a very great Engineer indeed, though L T C Rolt, in his biography of Brunel, has some pungent remarks to make about Telford's very peculiar proposed design for the bridge across the Avon gorge...not one of T's best efforts.

Fortunately for posterity, Brunel's bridge was the one (eventually) built.

One could say that, in this case, Telford enginerred...

I'll get me hammer.

• I'm a bit worried by all this talk of "enginerrs" - aren't they people who design bridges that fall down? Telford's greatest works (the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and the Menai Bridge) have both been around for about 200 years (although he didn't get the Menai Bridge right first time and it's had to be modified more than once over the years - well, it was almost untried technology)
    I seem to recall that Telford took one look at Stevenson's design for the Britannia Bridge across the Menai Strait and declared it to be a far superior piece of engineering. I wonder about the conversation between the two of them looking down from heaven as the Britannia Bridge burnt down ...
  • Please can anyone point me to a post where he said something which made a good point or was interesting in some way.

I used to think he was seeking attention but now I don't think that's deliberate, it's just a side effect of always saying others are wrong without explaining or actually engaging with their queries. So his actions derail threads where others want to discuss a topic and he becomes the centre of attention. He's not unpleasant just doesn't get how discussion work where people don't agree.
    edited September 16
    Correct, but it's not as if numerous people haven't taken an immense amount of time and trouble to try to explain how the Ship works.

The fact that he just ignores all that is, I think, what is so frustrating. I prefer to scroll past his posts, but, as another Shipmate pointed out to me once, that practice can mean that one misses something worthwhile. In Telford's case, I doubt it.
  • Please can anyone point me to a post where he said something which made a good point or was interesting in some way.

I used to think he was seeking attention but now I don't think that's deliberate, it's just a side effect of always saying others are wrong without explaining or actually engaging with their queries. So his actions derail threads where others want to discuss a topic and he becomes the centre of attention. He's not unpleasant just doesn't get how discussion work where people don't agree.

Yeah, I think this is true. Way back in the midsts of time, on the old ship, I coined the phrase* Pseudotroll for someone who displays trolling behaviour but isn't doing it deliberately.

AFZ

*at least I think I did. IIRC, I provided a helpful definition.
  • Pseudotroll describes him to a T...

(See what I did there?) :wink:
  • I seem to recall that Telford took one look at Stevenson's design for the Britannia Bridge across the Menai Strait and declared it to be a far superior piece of engineering. I wonder about the conversation between the two of them looking down from heaven as the Britannia Bridge burnt down ...
    They were saying, "I wonder who thought it was a good idea to roof over those non-flammable metal tubes with a timber structure, and to then recoat every so often with a layer of tar? And to cut costs by withdrawing the fire wardens?"

After all, steam trains (with fires and cinders) had safely run through it for 120 years!

The smaller bridge at Conwy is still in use.

• edited September 16
    Come on, we (or, you, actually!) were talking about Tom Rolt a minute ago, and I'm sure if we bent that around to James Boyd we could get Baptist Trainfan going and before long we'd be having a lovely time :smile:

oops, x-post, the tangent has returned!
  • At the risk of prolonging this tangent (!), I think the rebuilt bridge actually looks better than the original, but YMMV.
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited September 16
    Yes, but the lions are, I believe, in poor repair.

By all accounts Tom Rolt was Not A Very Nice Man, though he did get things done. I know nothing of Boyd, except that a wrote a history of the Festiniog Railway.

But - at the risk of being sucked booted into Warmer Climes or Nether Regions - I shall desist from saying more. Fim.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I'm a bit worried by all this talk of "enginerrs" ...
    It isn't because of International Talk like a Pirate Day, is it?

I'll fetch my eye-patch ...
  • [quote="Baptist Trainfan;c-337212" I know nothing of Boyd, except that a wrote a history of the Festiniog Railway.

But - at the risk of being sucked booted into Warmer Climes or Nether Regions - I shall desist from saying more. Fim.[/quote]

Ah, spoil sport :smile: He wrote loads of books on narrow gauge railways all over the place, containing minutiae on fishplates, flanges, axleboxes and abutments - and diagrams, maps and ancient b&w photos. Travel guides to that most exclusive of holiday destinations - the past.
  • The horrors of staff team-building exercises. Arrggghhhh!

Quite - I think there's a rule that all such teams must contain two loud, obnoxious people who aren't prepared to listen to the people who know how to build the required structure. I'll just leave that hanging there.
    edited September 16
    That should read 'Oi'll fetch me oye-patch, Jim lad, harr, harr...'.

(x-posted - I was replying to @Piglet!)

*ahem*

Alas, it seems that our dear Shipmate declines to lower himself into the depths of this thread, so we shall have to make do with excoriating him on those threads where he does continue to post blather...
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    That should read 'Oi'll fetch me oye-patch, Jim lad, harr, harr...'.

(x-posted - I was replying to @Piglet!)

*ahem*

Alas, it seems that our dear Shipmate declines to lower himself into the depths of this thread, so we shall have to make do with excoriating him on those threads where he does continue to post blather...

I shall refer him here each time.
  • Good idea @Boogie!
    :naughty:

One day, he might take some notice of what others say...
  • Telford the Thread-Killer might describe him fairly well, as his dead hand descends on an otherwise interesting subject, and forces attention upon his dull and boring self...
    :disappointed:

There was a shipmate who went by Og Thread Killer. Wonder whatever happened to him.
  • Telford - the engineer - did build a couple or three very lovely churches. I was curate in one of them; and did a curacy placement in another (which also coincidentally was in the town of that name).
  • Baptist TrainfanBaptist Trainfan Shipmate
    edited September 16
    I believe he was commissioned to do a fairly standardised design for rural parishes in the Scottish Highlands, too.

I shall not be drawn on flanges and abutments etc.
  • The horrors of staff team-building exercises. Arrggghhhh!

Quite - I think there's a rule that all such teams must contain two loud, obnoxious people who aren't prepared to listen to the people who know how to build the required structure. I'll just leave that hanging there.

I was unaware of this sort of thing being done with adults - I was a primary school teacher.

In the OU I was placed in a group where one person (female deputy head) declared she had been on several management courses and so was the right person to be the leader. She went on to make sure we produced nothing useful and then dumped the job of making the presentation on me*. After coming across her the following year I had to change my choice of summer school week to a less convenient one to make sure I didn't see her again.
    *Perhaps I had been the other obnoxious one.
  • Re team-building exercises:

IMHO, they're fun at the beginning of an Outward Bound course, when total strangers are put together. And sometimes one of the instructors is undercover as a student! You get to try to help each other get over invisible lava, etc.
  • Team building exercises are better when you treat it like a competition. Crush your enemies, drive them before you and hear the lamentations of their women.
  • Doc Tor wrote: »
    Team building exercises are better when you treat it like a competition. Crush your enemies, drive them before you and hear the lamentations of their women.

Or just make sure you're the one who gets all the soft toilet paper.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Tsk, tsk and there you see before you Ladies and Gentlemen, the would be dominate male in all his glory.

:wink:
  • What is this thread about?
  • Telford and his annoyingness, although that can be hard to see.
  • ECraigR wrote: »
    Telford and his annoyingness, although that can be hard to see.

If I were to count posts and put them into buckets as to what they seemed to be about, what % would you guess would be about Telford?
  • Good point. I skipped most of the ones about engineers and past shipmate trolls. So I'd say about 10%? Maybe less?
  • mousethief wrote: »
    ECraigR wrote: »

If I were to count posts and put them into buckets as to what they seemed to be about, what % would you guess would be about Telford?

Is it not a piece of performance art holding up a mirror to the way Telford derails every thread he goes into by posting utter bollocks and making it all about him? In this case the thread was all about him and the thread has been derailed by more interesting and valuable things. A pleasing inversion to my eyes.
  • Now that sounds very post-modern!
  • BoogieBoogie Shipmate
    mousethief wrote: »

Very true. But it makes me feel better about visiting the Ship now. I have a strategy for dealing with the pseudotroll. Every time he nit picks instead of engaging, or makes the thread all about him I will refer him here.

🙃
  • orfeoorfeo Shipmate
    A waste of space. I propose to spend the minimum amount of extra space declaring him such.
  • Boogie wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »

Very true. But it makes me feel better about visiting the Ship now. I have a strategy for dealing with the pseudotroll. Every time he nit picks instead of engaging, or makes the thread all about him I will refer him here.

🙃

I suspect you will need to beg the hosts to keep this thread alive longer than is the current protocol. Maybe I'm being unfair and unduly pessimistic?

Nah.

AFZ
  • Huia wrote: »
    Tsk, tsk and there you see before you Ladies and Gentlemen, the would be dominate male in all his glory.

:wink:

Yeah, it's just the misfortune of being born in a body with external gonads. Who the Hell designed this meatsack anyway? I want a refund.
  • alienfromzogalienfromzog Shipmate
    edited September 17
    Please can anyone point me to a post where he said something which made a good point or was interesting in some way.

Yeah, I think this is true. Way back in the midsts of time, on the old ship, I coined the phrase* Pseudotroll for someone who displays trolling behaviour but isn't doing it deliberately.

AFZ

*at least I think I did. IIRC, I provided a helpful definition.

Found it!
    Pseudo-Troll
    n. A pseudo-troll is one who displays troll-like posting but unlike the true-troll lacks the wit and insight to realise how provocative their posts are. Whilst a true-troll will post in order to generate responses for their own entertainment, a pseudo-troll seems to actually believe their ridiculous pronouncements.

The main danger of the pseudo-troll is that the correct response is unclear. Everyone knows that starvation is the way to treat a true-troll as in the great maxim: Don't feed the troll! Indeed in the Good Old Days™ feeding a troll would usually result in an Alligator bite to one's legs. It seems a pseudo-troll needs to be slapped down to stop them spreading their misinformed views.

I won't repeat here who I was describing but I do remember. I think it an accurate description of our friend. What say thee?

AFZ
  • You do realise that's a link to a profile, not to a post.
  • You do realise that's a link to a profile, not to a post.

D'oh!
    It's so long since I had to link to the old Ship that I clicked on the wrong thing...

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=002152;p=44#002153