Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Heaven: 2021 Proof Americans and Brits speak a different language

Comments

• Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited September 2020
    Eirenist wrote: »
    'Lonely' or 'Lonesome'? Brits as far as I know only use 'lonely', except when singing 'How much is that doggie in the window?' (ugh!) or 'In the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia'. Is 'lonesome' universally used in the States, or are there regional variations?
    “Lonesome” and “lonely,” while they can in some circumstances be used interchangeably, don’t mean quite the same thing, at least as I’m familiar with them being used. One can feel lonely while in a large group of people if one feels disconnected, isolated, misunderstood or overlooked by others. Lonesomeness generally requires physical isolation or distance from anyone else. Lonesome also often suggests a degree of yearning or aching beyond what lonely suggests.

Then there’s the expression “(all) by my lonesome,” which means “(all) by myself,” but not necessarily in the sense of being lonely.

• Trudy wrote: »
    We discuss in my province that the degree of separation between most of us is maximally two people, e.g., I know someone who's mentioned your cousin. It is really interesting to have this discussion with newcomers (we are moving away from using the term "immigrant" as it tends to be used more for visible minority people). The usual is something about what their kids are doing or where they work, and then it's "do you know <Name> who goes/works/used to work there". It is is probably off-putting for some.

It will not surprise you to learn that Newfoundland is that way too. It's not quite as extreme as the 22 Minutes TV show satire of PEI ("PEI-witness News," where the running joke is that ever person mentioned as well as ever reporter is surnamed Gallant) but I'd be surprised if there's more than two degrees of separation between any two Newfoundlanders chosen at random.
    Nfld is my favourite island. I swear that everyone calls me either "buddy" or "my dear" when I've been there. I mean everyone. Friendliest place in the universe.
  • I like my medical physician assistant indeed more then my doctor. He introduced himself by first name and then asked, "How would you like to be addressed." "By my first name thank you," was my answer. At work I went by my title and last name because that was the norm. My request to my volunteers was," When speaking of me to others or when we are with others please use my title and last name. When addressing me in person feel free to use my first name."
  • I don't know whether this has come up before, but as well as 'lonesome', words like 'bothersome' sound very American to me. I've not heard it anywhere in the UK but I suspect it may be said in Northern Ireland.

Are there any other 'some' suffixes in US English?
  • loathesome. Troublesome. toothsome (yech).
  • Fulsome. Worrisome. Adventuresome. Quarrelsome. Wholesome/Unwholesome.

And per at least one hymn, gladsome.

• "on my ownsome"
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Tiresome
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited September 2020
    Handsome.

And I referred to “Let Us with a Gladsome Mind” earlier. Apparently, it was written by Milton.

• You winsome, you losesome.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    {groan}
  • Alternately, you winsome, you loathsome.
  • Threesome.
    The Trinity.(not that other kid)
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Currently I'm watching a lot of American news clips on YouTube. My impression is that American presenters do a lot more talking before they allow the experts to comment than their British counterparts. Is this right?
  • Currently I'm watching a lot of American news clips on YouTube. My impression is that American presenters do a lot more talking before they allow the experts to comment than their British counterparts. Is this right?

I think that's often true. There is one particular interviewer on PBS who lectures her subjects to the point that you can sometimes see their annoyance while they wait to get in a word. It may be an attempt to keep them focussed, but most have prepared their answers anyway, and it makes no difference. (Jared Kushner yesterday was a magnificent example of zero communication between interviewer and subject).
  • Is 'gladsome' actually a term in regular use in the US?

The only time I've heard it here is in Milton's hymn.

'Fulsome' is in currency here and whilst we'd obviously understand terms like 'lonesome' there aren't common in normal everyday speech.

Thinking about it, a phrase like, 'They lavished him with fulsome praise,' wouldn't be common here either, but we'd know what it meant.

Handsome and winsome, yes, but the terms Lamb Chopped cites, far less so.
  • edited September 2020
    Toothsome though unwholesome.
    Worrisome to the point of tiresome.
    Just don't be meddlesome about it. It's troublesome.

• Thinking about it, a phrase like, 'They lavished him with fulsome praise,' wouldn't be common here either, but we'd know what it meant.

Handsome and winsome, yes, but the terms Lamb Chopped cites, far less so.

You don't have troublesome in common use? Or loathsome?

We do. But then, look at our politics.
  • I use loathsome all the time. Also lonesome, never thought of that as an unusual word at all.
  • Is 'gladsome' actually a term in regular use in the US?
    No, which is why I said “And per at least one hymn, gladsome.” I’ve rarely heard it used outside the hymn, except perhaps by someone consciously referencing the hymn.

But as @Lamb Chopped says, troublesome and loathsome are in common use in my experience, as are worrisome, tiresome, meddlesome, quarrelsome and wholesome.

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Is 'gladsome' actually a term in regular use in the US?
    No, which is why I said “And per at least one hymn, gladsome.” I’ve rarely heard it used outside the hymn, except perhaps by someone consciously referencing the hymn.

But as @Lamb Chopped says, troublesome and loathsome are in common use in my experience, as are worrisome, tiresome, meddlesome, quarrelsome and wholesome.

Identical experience (at least with "some" words).
    … and noisome is a familiar word, though thankfully I don’t often have cause to use it.
  • I would say "noisome" is uncommon bordering on rare in these parts. So much so that people think it means "noisy".
  • orfeo wrote: »
    Kylie - largely confined to this country until one of them escaped and went global.

It always makes me giggle to think that in about 50 years' time there are going to be lots of little old ladies called Kylie.

• There is a section in the supermarket we use marked 'Wholesome Foods'. The implication that the remainder of the food they sell is unwholesome is worrying, though their honesty is commendable.
  • Eirenist wrote: »
    There is a section in the supermarket we use marked 'Wholesome Foods'. The implication that the remainder of the food they sell is unwholesome is worrying, though their honesty is commendable.

I have always thought that about "health food" -- does the rest cause sickness?
  • mousethief wrote: »
    There is a section in the supermarket we use marked 'Wholesome Foods'. The implication that the remainder of the food they sell is unwholesome is worrying, though their honesty is commendable.

According to some True Believers, yes.

• Ah! "Homely". In the UK it denotes something home-like, cozy (which makes sense, etymologically), whereas in North America it means something (of a person, dog, usually something animate) somewhere between plain and ugly.
  • Ah! "Homely". In the UK it denotes something home-like, cozy (which makes sense, etymologically), whereas in North America it means something (of a person, dog, usually something animate) somewhere between plain and ugly.
    Yes, which caused some bewilderment on my part when I first encountered Tolkien’s reference to Rivendell as “the Last Homely House East of the Sea.”

• All the 'some' suffixed words mentioned in recent posts are common in the UK - 'troublesome' etc.

Nevertheless, I might be wrong, but I do get the impression that there are more words in common US usage which end that way. It might be my imagination. I don't know. Perhaps I've heard one or two instances such as 'bothersome' and assumed that there are many more than there actually are.
    I’m used to bothersome as a UK usage.

Which is why I (as a Brit) always struggled a little with the Chi-Lites' hit single Homely Girl. I never realised just how much of an insult it was.
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »

According to some True Believers, yes.
    Especially due to additives and processing, and allergens. There are other things, but those are likely the ones avoided by *supermarket* health foods.

edited September 2020
    I would say "noisome" is uncommon bordering on rare in these parts. So much so that people think it means "noisy".

Thx for this. I looked it up. I think I've always thought of it as "annoyingly noisy". But it's various versions of "harmful", "offensive", and disgusting.

Perhaps there could be "noisome noise"?
    ;)
  • Golden Key wrote: »
    I would say "noisome" is uncommon bordering on rare in these parts. So much so that people think it means "noisy".

Thx for this. I looked it up. I think I've always thought of it as "annoyingly noisy". But it's various versions of "harmful", "offensive", and disgusting.

Perhaps there could be "noisome noise"?
    ;)

I have mostly heard/read it (when used correctly) to refer to smells or things that smell bad.
  • There is a standard condition in most leases forbidding the carrying on of 'noisome or offensive trades' on the leased premises.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Ah! "Homely". In the UK it denotes something home-like, cozy (which makes sense, etymologically), whereas in North America it means something (of a person, dog, usually something animate) somewhere between plain and ugly.
    Yes, which caused some bewilderment on my part when I first encountered Tolkien’s reference to Rivendell as “the Last Homely House East of the Sea.”

Conversely, when AD&D Unearthed Arcana (unwisely) introduced the 'Comeliness' stat and I rolled low and was rated as "Homely" I had to reach for a dictionary...
  • "Wholesome" isn't unknown, but to me always conjours an image of a middle class evangelical contrasting books, films or telly he approves of with the sort of depravity I like.
    edited September 2020
    Interestingly it appears to have become a term of approval for good internet content etc. among my age 20-something contacts. The ones I know are mostly middle class, though not evangelical, as such.
  • BroJames wrote: »
    I’m used to bothersome as a UK usage.

Whereabouts in the UK?

Or, if I were to ask in South Walian dialect, 'Where to do you live?'
  • I remember a number of rural people would use the word "Whereabout." I always understood it as referring to a local landmark other people would recognize. For instance, we lived about a mile south of the Fechtner farm. Everyone knew where the Fechtner farm was.
    I grew up in SE England and live in NW England, but am conscious that some of my idiolect reflects Scots heritage.
  • BroJames wrote: »
    I grew up in SE England and live in NW England, but am conscious that some of my idiolect reflects Scots heritage.

Fair do's mind.

I wonder whether 'bothersome' is more a Scottish / Northern Irish thing.

I've not heard it in NW England, but then I don't live in either Lancashire or Cumbria.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus

I think we'd more likely say it was a scunner.
  • Firenze wrote: »

Ok. New one on me.
    Firenze wrote: »

Ok. New one on me.

Also available as a verb. 'The whole house is in a guddle and I'm scunnered with the stoor' (to be both illustrative and accurate *workmen in*)
  • That sounds irksome to me.
    Firenze--

Might you translate that, please? Is it "the house is a mess"? And what's "stoor"?

Thx!
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Firenze--

Might you translate that, please? Is it "the house is a mess"? And what's "stoor"?

Thx!

'The house is an extreme mess and I am utterly fed up with the filthy dust'

I gave the Scots version, but were I back in Ulster might have said 'I'm scunnered the house is that throughother I'm in clabber to the knee'. 'Clabber' being another fine word for dirt, muck, mess; in extreme cases you can be in clabber to the oxters (armpits).

(Pleased to report the workmen have now gone for the time being, so house slightly less of a midden).
  • "Scunner" is a wonderful word. I know exactly what is meant when someone says of another "She's a right scunner." It means she will never be happy or satisfied, never say thank you, always be complaining.