Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Heaven: 2021 Proof Americans and Brits speak a different language

Comments

• I use a pure Tasmanian grown canola oil. Despite being told that olive oil is the healthiest, I don't buy it as I am actually allergic to olives.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    There are many times when you need a lighter and less distinctively flavoured oil than olive, as well as the health reason that directs your choice.
  • Pike is renowned for eating in England, and is one of the few coarse fish that can be taken; all others returned to the water. And eating them helps smaller fish.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Gee D wrote: »
    There are many times when you need a lighter and less distinctively flavoured oil than olive, as well as the health reason that directs your choice.

So buy the light pressing olive oil that's explicitly designed to have less flavour.
  • Rapeseed is reputed to be high in Omega 3.
    There used to be a pike in a pond in South London - how it got there is unexplained. It took ducklings. Mum swimming along with four behind her. Flurry, splash, gone. Mallards being known for lack of parental skills, not much notice taken by the parent,
  • The best pilchards I ever ate were grilled on the quayside at Falmouth, Cornwall, having been just landed from a fishing boat. I don't usually like them. We used to get them tinned in tomato sauce during WWII.
  • HeavenlyannieHeavenlyannie Shipmate
    edited October 2020
    We have a tin of pilchards in tomato sauce in the cupboard, the make is Glenryck. We ate them a lots as children (in the 70s).
  • Penny S wrote: »
    Rapeseed is reputed to be high in Omega 3.
    There used to be a pike in a pond in South London - how it got there is unexplained. It took ducklings. Mum swimming along with four behind her. Flurry, splash, gone. Mallards being known for lack of parental skills, not much notice taken by the parent,

The original wild rapeseed isn't actually. It's the extensively bred canola oilseed which is. Canola bred out glucosinolates and erucic acid. Glucosinolates are what give mustard and similar plants like cabbage high pungency. Erucic acid is toxic in high doses.

The breeding was done mainly in Canada. Hence the renaming to canola.

A Métis fellow from a small community on Great Slave Lake told me about a "log" which swallowed a small deer. He estimated 25 feet long. Think and serpent like. It made me consider that the Loch Ness monster and Ogopogo may be giant jacks.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    Pike is renowned for eating in England, and is one of the few coarse fish that can be taken; all others returned to the water. And eating them helps smaller fish.

They're also renowned for being able to survive hours out of water. You really have to make sure they're dead, I'm told.
  • orfeo wrote: »

So buy the light pressing olive oil that's explicitly designed to have less flavour.

Exactly. Extra-virgin is not the only olive oil.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    orfeo wrote: »

That's what we use the grape-seed oil for. Light olive oils don't appeal - the best way I can put it is that their blandness is a failure of what a good olive oil can do, if that makes sense.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    orfeo wrote: »

That's what we use the grape-seed oil for. Light olive oils don't appeal - the best way I can put it is that their blandness is a failure of what a good olive oil can do, if that makes sense.

No, it doesn't. You said you sometimes need a lighter and less distinctively flavoured oil, and then you say that light olive oils don't appeal because they're bland.

Whatever. I mean, this whole excursion into cooking class doesn't really make sense for this thread.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Orfeo, can I suggest that there's no inconsistency between wanting a lightly flavoured oil, but not wanting that to be a lightly flavoured olive oil?
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    Gentle reminder that we do have a recipe thread if the topic of cooking oils really needs to be delved into this deeply - it's not really a language issue at this point.

Trudy, Heavenly Host
  • Gill H wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    I've always ever read/heard "Get Well Soon" here (America). The section of the greeting card rack for sending to sick friends is the "Get Well Soon" section.

And it’s always next to the Sympathy section here in the UK, which strikes me as a little callous.

Maybe. But could be a real timesaver? :wink:
  • Anselmina wrote: »
    Gill H wrote: »
    mousethief wrote: »
    I've always ever read/heard "Get Well Soon" here (America). The section of the greeting card rack for sending to sick friends is the "Get Well Soon" section.

And it’s always next to the Sympathy section here in the UK, which strikes me as a little callous.

Maybe. But could be a real timesaver? :wink:

Get one of each, holding one in reserve.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Or a blank card, to fill in as needed. Nature ones are good, like those from the Sierra Club. (Environmentalism organization.)
  • I try to find a picture card with a tranquil scene - National Trust usually. Jokey 'Get Well' cards are to be avoided.
  • I came across another pronunciation difference today:
    the word "sieve" pronounced by a US speaker as what I heard as "seeve",
    whereas what I say sounds more like "siv" with short i.
    "Siv" is the one I know. Might be a regional difference.
  • "siv" for me also.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Golden Key wrote: »
    "Siv" is the one I know. Might be a regional difference.

Yes - as in so many instances, there may well not be just the one pronunciation throughout the country.
    Could also be that English isn't the person's first language, and they're pronouncing by the rules of that language.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited October 2020
    Golden Key wrote: »
    Could also be that English isn't the person's first language, and they're pronouncing by the rules of that language.

Or has learnt the rules of English pronunciation, where it would actually be expected to be 'seev'

Most other languages with a Latin alphabet would expect to pronounce the final 'e'. (Yes, French, I know, didn't mean you! You don't usually pronounce a final *anything*)

There is a saying that one should never disparage someone who mispronounces a word because it probably means they learnt it through reading.
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    Most other languages with a Latin alphabet would expect to pronounce the final 'e'. (Yes, French, I know, didn't mean you! You don't usually pronounce a final *anything*)
    Except when singing in French. Then all kinds of final letters and syllables that might be silent in spoken French find voice.

• Short siv for me.
    What about south? It's a short 'uh' for that but its a pig -like "sow" with south with some.
  • Always “Sowth” here, i.e., the American South. I’m not sure I’ve heard anything else very often, except perhaps something that sounds somewhere between “sowth” and “soath” (rhyme with “soap”).

Meanwhile, “siv” here.

• Wow. I've never heard "seeve" - do you know where this person was from?
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    ‘Sowth’ but ‘sutherly’.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    KarlLB wrote: »
    Except when singing in French. Then all kinds of final letters and syllables that might be silent in spoken French find voice.

And vice versa.
  • Short siv for me.
    What about south? It's a short 'uh' for that but its a pig -like "sow" with south with some.

Always sowth to me.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    Final letters are not pronounced in French, unless you are in certain parts of the South. In foie gras land, what is a pain au chocolat anywhere else is a chocolatine, with the final 'e' proudly pronounced. The final 'e' of Toulouse is also very much pronounced by the people who live there.

(I haven't watched Emily in Paris, but apparently one of it's innumerable howlers is the use of the term chocolatine. They are only ever called that in the South.)
  • Final letters are not pronounced in French, unless you are in certain parts of the South. In foie gras land, what is a pain au chocolat anywhere else is a chocolatine, with the final 'e' proudly pronounced. The final 'e' of Toulouse is also very much pronounced by the people who live there.

(I haven't watched Emily in Paris, but apparently one of it's innumerable howlers is the use of the term chocolatine. They are only ever called that in the South.)

I have heard final letters pronounced in songs by Jacques Brel and Francoise Hardy. Particularly terminal "e"s to fill out scansion.
  • Lowering the tone of the discussion to my own level, I found everything was different in Texas. I particularly liked their version of 'vehicle', which comes out as 'vee-hickle'. The gap they sometimes put between syllables can be good for emphasis, 'bull-shit' being particularly effective, and especially when the second word is stretched into 'shi-it'.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Always “Sowth” here, i.e., the American South. I’m not sure I’ve heard anything else very often, except perhaps something that sounds somewhere between “sowth” and “soath” (rhyme with “soap”).

Meanwhile, “siv” here.

Sowth and siv here.
  • I've never heard "seeve" - do you know where this person was from?
    Bio says he's a native Southern Californian; currently resident in Riverside. Post-doc. studies at Univ. Of Durham, UK. but he wouldn't have learned "seeve" there.

• I grew up there, and we called it a colander. It may be that he's adapted enough to his new surroundings to know to use "sieve," but has only met the word in print.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    I grew up there, and we called it a colander. It may be that he's adapted enough to his new surroundings to know to use "sieve," but has only met the word in print.

I'd say that a sieve and a colander are different. A sieve is often smallish, may be larger, but always has a fine mesh for straining. A colander is usually larger, and instead of being mesh is a pressed sheet of metal, probably stainless steel these days, with larger holes, holes that are smaller than peas or dried beans, but too big for rice.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Sieve
    Colander
    (In U.K. terms) both also available in plastic.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Good clear photos. I've seen plastic sieves, but not colanders until now.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    BroJames wrote: »
    Sieve
    Colander

(In U.K. terms) both also available in plastic.
    Yes. That's how I understand the two words.

• And there are tales of people leaving their plastic colander on the pan over the gas and having melted plastic as a result. Metal ones could be used as steamers.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    If it melts in long thin threads, you can always turn it into a batch of spag bol.
  • mousethief wrote: »
    Final letters are not pronounced in French, unless you are in certain parts of the South. In foie gras land, what is a pain au chocolat anywhere else is a chocolatine, with the final 'e' proudly pronounced. The final 'e' of Toulouse is also very much pronounced by the people who live there.

I have heard final letters pronounced in songs by Jacques Brel and Francoise Hardy. Particularly terminal "e"s to fill out scansion.
    Yes, as I said, sung French can be different, as final “e”s or other syllables that might be silent otherwise often get notes of their own, requiring them to be pronounced.

And yes, a sieve and a colander are two different things here.

• DafydDafyd Hell Host
    French poetry is scanned as if the final e is pronounced.
  • Yeah, Racine!
  • The other day a British speaker on BBC World pronounced 'address' as 'ADDress'. In the UK, we say 'addRESS'. Presumable someome thought US viewers would think he meant 'a dress'.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Both pronunciations are used here.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    And there is the common English language trend of placing the stress on the first syllable for a noun, and on the second syllable for a verb.

To my mind the verb form would always be "addRESS", but the noun form would be more fluid.
  • I heard someone say for the letter H, "haych" this week. Took a bit to understand. Same person said glacier as glah-see-ur. Glay-see-ur is usual. Perhaps this was merely the pronunciation of one person. Not sure but she also seemed to say "observe" for "absurd".