AS: 2021 America! America! God shed his grace on thee! The 2021 USA Thread

Comments

• Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    mousethief wrote: »
    I was 6'4" when I was 14 years old, and didn't really drink in restaurants until into my 20's.
    But elsewhere . . . ? :open_mouth:
  • mousethief wrote: »
    I was 6'4" when I was 14 years old, and didn't really drink in restaurants until into my 20's.
    But elsewhere . . . ? :open_mouth:

Elsewhere one doesn't get carded.
  • I get carded in some, but not all, local supermarkets, in bars in the evening (most of the local bars have someone on the door in the evening carding everyone; if I go for a pint in the afternoon, there's nobody on the door, and I've never been carded by the bar staff. It's been a long time since I've been carded in a restaurant.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Hostly Oink

After some discussion backstage, it was decided that the tangent about Communion and being asked if you were baptized or not would fly better in Ecclesiantics.

Birettas on, and off you go!

Piglet, AS host
    Maricopa County, Arizona, where I live, began Phase 1B of the Covid vaccinations this morning (teachers, first responders, folks 75 and older). The web portal to sign up was supposed to open at 6:00 this morning.

However, my sister sent me a text message at 5:00 saying it was already open. I had no trouble getting on, but it took longer to answer the questions they asked than it would have to recover from the infection (I exaggerate but you get the point).

I had no trouble getting an appointment, but it's for January 27 at a site a good 30 miles or so away. Hey, I'll take what I can get.

My piano instructor at the community college where I take lessons told me that "teacher" means only K through 12, and not instructors at institutes of higher learning. However, it was on the news last night that instructors who teach in-person classes are eligible. Mixed signals.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 2021
    Well, a measure of grace has today been granted to America - President Biden has been sworn in, and reports indicate that he will *hit the ground running* in his efforts to repair the damage done by the former incumbent...

Deo gratias.
    I'd like to wish you all well as you celebrate - but take care!
    Such an impressive ceremony. You-know-who sneaked off early like a dog caught peeing on the carpet once too often. Meanwhile, former Presidents Bush, Clinton and Biden took their places of honor on the platform admit applause. Right vs wrong.
  • There is a small ahem error in Miss Amanda's post (well, two, if *admit* should read *amidst*), but under the circumstances of this exciting and historic day, I think she can be forgiven...
    :wink:
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Congratulations and best wishes America - the world breathes a sigh of relief and fact checkers search for a new job.
    edited January 2021
    There is work for them here in *England*...I will say no more.
    :naughty:
  • I have been trying to find a place to post this, but we don't seem to have a thread for the Inauguration itself...and it seems out-of-place on the Biden/Harris Administration thread.

Anyway, here is a link giving the transcript of Amanda Gormans' poem that she recited at the Inauguration. It expresses so much the hope and promise of the U.S., that I think it fits here.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    BF--
    There is work for them here in *England*...I will say no more.
    :naughty:

Wellll...we have a spare *ex*-president we can send you. He's just now retired to Florida. You could pick him up there--and I'm sure his neighbors will load you down with gifts and thanks. Or we could send him over on a container ship, so he has time to quarantine...

Please advise.
    ;)

edited January 2021
    Thank you for the offer, but we must regretfully decline.

We look forward to working with the functional adult who is now your President, and really have no use for the former incumbent, however much he may resemble a Golden Toilet...

As to importing him via the Sea, I fear that the cost of the paperwork involved would far exceed the value of the said Toilet.

Got my first covid shot today. Process went fairly smoothly. No reaction.

They booked the second shot for me, but the first opening they had was a month away. Meanwhile, I had previously booked the second appointment myself at a different location, three weeks away.

When I got home there was an e-mail waiting for me "inviting" me to book the second appointment. I think I'll keep the one I had booked myself.
  • Got my 1st shot this past Thursday. No side effects. Get my 2nd shot on February 11.
  • Holy smokes, well really not smoke but snow. Has not snowed here in about 8 years, Falling all around our Northern California area. Pretty, but these people do not how to drive in it. Accidents all over the place. I am staying home and waiting for it to melt by the end of the week when a sunny day is due.
    Very dangerous snow in northern and eastern Arizona, and even some in the Phoenix area, which is almost completely unheard of. Very bad rainstorm two days ago in Phoenix. Microburst. Many downed trees, property damage.
    My sister, who lives in Virginia, had been on a waiting list to make an appointment for a covid shot. Things have gotten that desperate! Last night she said her name had finally come up, and she's eligible now to make an appointment . . . but there are no appointments to be had.

My brother, who lives in New York, has had no luck either in getting an appointment. Last night he said that some pharmacies are receiving vaccine and are allowing appointments to be made. Again, though, no appointments to be had. He said that people are going to the pharmacies anyway without an appointment, near closing time, and begging to be allowed to receive leftover vaccine that would just go to waste otherwise. I mean, talk about bread lines carried to a logical extreme.

Meanwhile, here in Arizona, it was on the news this morning that one local doctor has succeeded in begging the government to let him have some vaccine that he can give to patients of his clinic. They made it sound like this was the most clever innovation since bread slicing machines.

I mean, duh. How is flu vaccine given? Answer: Every doctor's office in the country can dispense it. Should be no different for covid vaccine. But no, the government has a monopoly on distribution, so of course things are much more complicated than they need to be.
    Heard from my sister tonight. She finally got her appointment. Hallelujah!
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    Yay, Miss Amanda!
  • Meanwhile, here in Arizona, it was on the news this morning that one local doctor has succeeded in begging the government to let him have some vaccine that he can give to patients of his clinic. They made it sound like this was the most clever innovation since bread slicing machines.

I mean, duh. How is flu vaccine given? Answer: Every doctor's office in the country can dispense it. Should be no different for covid vaccine. But no, the government has a monopoly on distribution, so of course things are much more complicated than they need to be.
    It may be to do with storage temperature. How many doctors can keep things at dry ice temperatures?

Though I think they could have doctors getting a delivery daily of vaccine from the nearest cold storage place.

The Moderna vaccine should be no more difficult to store than is the flu vaccine. Pfizer is a different matter.

Pharmacies will finally be getting the Moderna vaccine also.
    Meanwhile, the Republican Party has finally done something right in that Congresswoman Liz Cheney, who dared to vote to impeach you-know-who, survived an attempt to strip her of her status as third-ranking Republican member of the House of Representatives.

But their turn toward virtue was short-lived. The utterly despicable Marjorie Taylor Greene, who believes that you-know-who won the election, that 9/11 never happened, and that mass school shootings are staged events, will retain her committee memberships for now, until the full House votes on whether to strip her of them. They should be voting to expel her from Congress, if you ask me.

And just when you thought it was safe to utter the phrase "President Joe Biden," the Repugnican government of the county in which I have the unfortunate luck to live is conducting not one, but two, audits of the mechanical workings of voting machines and the robustness of the software used in the voting process.

I thought God had answered the question "How long, O Lord, how long?" but apparently he's still mulling over the answer.
    Had a phone call from Cigna (major health care provider) yesterday asking me if I wanted to make an appointment to receive the covid vaccine, as they are giving them now.

Of course, I've already received my first shot and have my appointment for the second, but I'm glad of that news.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    That's such good news, Miss Amanda! Florida is half-heartedly trying to catch up with the rest of the civilized country. Sort of. It's hard when our governor is a 100% TrumpButtKisser™.

My folks have had both shots. A relief for me. Now, if the rest of us could have them. Oh. Wait. There are some who don't believe in getting the shot because it's not in the Bible. Well, neither are automobiles, electricity and very likely, their jobs!!!! Willful Ignorance is just so bewildering!!! :persevere:
  • Had a phone call from Cigna (major health care provider) yesterday asking me if I wanted to make an appointment to receive the covid vaccine, as they are giving them now.

Of course, I've already received my first shot and have my appointment for the second, but I'm glad of that news.

I had an email yesterday from the place I'll be moving to in May. They're giving the vaccinations to incoming residents! (When I asked a week or so ago, they were not.)

So it looks as if Arizona is finally getting a much better supply!
    edited February 2021
    Sounds good.

I haven't really been following the other US threads (too much happening on this side of the Pond for a small brain to cope with, let alone elsewhere), but what is the general feeling about your new President, and the way he's acting?

Certainly, the impression here is of a New Broom, doing his best to sweep away the shite left behind by The Nameless One.

The future's bright...the future is NOT orange...
    :wink:

• bassobasso Shipmate
    I've got an appointment for my shot this morning.
    what is the general feeling about your new President, and the way he's acting?

So far so good. I have a feeling his administration will be scandal-free.

I do, however, think he's deluded about the ease with which people can get the covid vaccine. You can distribute as many millions of doses as you wish, but if people can't get appointments to receive them, then they'll remain in the freezer.
  • I am so excited today. Our old house in the country just went up for sale yesterday and we already have two offers and one pending offer, all for more than we were asking for the property. HAPPY DANCE.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    YaY! That's great Graven Image, I hope it settles quickly and easily for you.
  • @ Huia, We ended up with three offers on our house today and we accepted one. Closes escrow in 30 days. I am in a bit of a shock.
  • Fantastic, @Graven Image. Hope the sale continues to proceed smoothly.
    Excellent news, GI!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Well done GI!
  • Yay!
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Happy dance for Graven Image.
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Huia wrote: »
    Happy dance for Graven Image.
    Yay! Happy feet, indeed!
  • Thanks, everyone, inspection came back with all good marks except some rotting wood under the deck, that should be replaced. No surprise on our part. There were also old rodent dropping, but no sign of any live rodents. Good job Molly the dog. No alarms sounded from buyers, so moving forward.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Excellent news, @Graven Image
  • Well, it is that time of year again when I long for a Cadbury egg, but as Hershey now owns the company in the US and makes eggs that taste like plastic with the Cadbury label on them I will have to skip that pleasure. Graven Image now looking online to see what See's has to offer.
    Just thinking about cream eggs makes my teeth hurt - they're so horribly sweet!

Cadbury's mini-eggs though - the little ones that are chocolate with a coloured sugar coating - I could eat them to a band playing.

Now I want some - see what you've started? :mrgreen:
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    I do not understand companies that buy another with a signature product, and change it. I have a list of lost delights that that has happened to. At least I can now eat Terry's Chocolate Oranges again, since Kraft and Mondelez dumped them. But I wish they were back over here.
  • Penny S wrote: »
    I do not understand companies that buy another with a signature product, and change it.

They think that people are brand-loyal and don't have taste buds. Given many of the things that people apparently voluntarily eat, this may be a reasonable position.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    Just thinking about cream eggs makes my teeth hurt - they're so horribly sweet!

Cadbury's mini-eggs though - the little ones that are chocolate with a coloured sugar coating - I could eat them to a band playing.

Now I want some - see what you've started? :mrgreen:

I've seen a lot more of the mini eggs in stores this year than the regular ones.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    Penny S wrote: »
    I do not understand companies that buy another with a signature product, and change it.

They think that people are brand-loyal and don't have taste buds. Given many of the things that people apparently voluntarily eat, this may be a reasonable position.

Loyalty cuts both ways, though. And some of them buy companies with signature products and then remove them altogether. And extinguish the original company name. I suspect what they want in those cases are the money from selling the factory sites.

There was a company over here called "Look What We've Found". What they had found were interesting recipes using named farmer's produce, and niche foods such as venison, mutton, rabbit - oh the range they had, all in sachets like camping food, but ideal for single people wanting diverse menus. Then they got bought out, and the farmers dumped, and the range is now chilli con carne, lamb casserole, chicken tikka and beef bolognese. Target market students.
  • HedgehogHedgehog Shipmate
    Penny S wrote: »
    I do not understand companies that buy another with a signature product, and change it. I have a list of lost delights that that has happened to. At least I can now eat Terry's Chocolate Oranges again, since Kraft and Mondelez dumped them. But I wish they were back over here.
    I was remarkably pleased that, when the New England Confectionery Company ("Necco") went out of business and stopped making Necco Wafers, Spangler Candy bought up the brand and, remarkably, kept making the wafers by the traditional process (with one small tweak for the chocolate wafer, which was sorely in need of tweaking).
    The eight all-time favorite flavors and colors are returning including lemon (yellow), lime (green), orange (orange), clove (light purple), cinnamon (white), wintergreen (pink), licorice (dark grey) and chocolate (brown). Seven of the eight flavors were designed to identically match the originals. True Necco Wafers connoisseurs may detect a richer cocoa flavor in the chocolate wafers due to a minor improvement made in the cooking process.
    I think they knew their target audience: Necco Wafers are, ahem, Not For Everybody, and some people detest them in the extreme. But those of us who love them would have pitched a hissy fit if the recipe had been changed. I have a box of the Spangler-made Necco Wafers, and they have the same snap, texture, feel and flavor that a Necco wafer should have!
  • Yes, @Hedgehog! I love Necco wafers. They are my favorite candy—I’ll take them over chocolate any time. (Actually, there are lots of things I’d rather have than chocolate.) I too was thrilled that Spangler took over, bought the recipes and the equipment, and kept making them properly.

• I would love to try them, especially the last 5.
This discussion has been closed.