AS: 2021 America! America! God shed his grace on thee! The 2021 USA Thread

Comments

• I have occasional bouts of vertigo, which seem to have become worse with each of the three concussions I've had over the last ca. 15 years.
  • Simon ToadSimon Toad Shipmate
    edited April 2021
    I'm just dropping in here to note that the top thread on American politics is at this moment number 17 in the list of threads in Purgatory. Wonderful!!
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I do have to admit that with you-know-who out of the limelight, news has gotten rather dull lately. Floods, wildfires, school shootings . . . so what else is new?
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    I do have to admit that with you-know-who out of the limelight, news has gotten rather dull lately. Floods, wildfires, school shootings . . . so what else is new?

You forgot to mention the volcanic eruption in St Vincent, Ms Amanda.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited April 2021
    Gramps49 wrote: »

You forgot to mention the volcanic eruption in St Vincent, Ms Amanda.
    Forgot, or didn’t mention it since this is “the 2021 USA thread,” and St. Vincent isn’t in the USA?

• Today it felt like some grace was shed on us.
    Readers of last year's USA thread will remember my mentioning Wounded Warrior and Healthy Boy -- two coyotes that hung out in the field behind my apartment building. Wounded Warrior having an injured paw, Healthy Boy sort of looking out for him.

Since last winter, the field has been fenced in and dug up -- there's some sort of construction project going on. The coyotes are long gone.

But guess who came trotting down the road that borders the field this morning? Wounded Warrior! Looking healthy, grown somewhat, and fully adapted to running on three legs instead of four. I was glad to see him. No sign of Healthy Boy, though.

I have great admiration and respect for coyotes. They're much maligned, but they're only doing what God put them on earth to do: eat mice, rabbits and . . . snakes!

We have four feral cats that hang around the apartments too. I think some of the little old ladies who live here are feeding them, despite requests from management not to do so. Perhaps Wounded Warrior and Healthy Boy have taken note of them too!
  • So glad to hear that Wounded Warrior is back! I hope Healthy Boy is o.k. too.
    :smile:
  • How exciting Wounded Warrior has returned. We have a one-legged crow in front of our house. She, crash lands on the ground and into trees, never the less this crow is gathering nesting material over the last few days. I am saying she but I must look up somewhere do male or female crows build the nest or both?
  • We have a one-legged crow in front of our house. She, crash lands on the ground and into trees, never the less this crow is gathering nesting material over the last few days. I am saying she but I must look up somewhere do male or female crows build the nest or both?
    They both do, sometimes assisted by other crows.

If you want to place some good nesting material in convenient places, they might appreciate it. Crows recognize human faces and remember those people who’ve treated them kindly, and those who haven’t.

• Readers of last year's USA thread will remember my mentioning Wounded Warrior and Healthy Boy -- two coyotes that hung out in the field behind my apartment building. Wounded Warrior having an injured paw, Healthy Boy sort of looking out for him.

Since last winter, the field has been fenced in and dug up -- there's some sort of construction project going on. The coyotes are long gone.

But guess who came trotting down the road that borders the field this morning? Wounded Warrior! Looking healthy, grown somewhat, and fully adapted to running on three legs instead of four. I was glad to see him. No sign of Healthy Boy, though.

I have great admiration and respect for coyotes. They're much maligned, but they're only doing what God put them on earth to do: eat mice, rabbits and . . . snakes!

We have four feral cats that hang around the apartments too. I think some of the little old ladies who live here are feeding them, despite requests from management not to do so. Perhaps Wounded Warrior and Healthy Boy have taken note of them too!

WW and HB would have to be brave beasties to take on feral cats🙀

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    We have a one-legged crow in front of our house. She, crash lands on the ground and into trees, never the less this crow is gathering nesting material over the last few days. I am saying she but I must look up somewhere do male or female crows build the nest or both?
    They both do, sometimes assisted by other crows.

If you want to place some good nesting material in convenient places, they might appreciate it. Crows recognize human faces and remember those people who’ve treated them kindly, and those who haven’t.

As do Australian magpies

Sojourner wrote: »
    WW and HB would have to be brave beasties to take on feral cats🙀

Which is probably why they're still hanging around.

Their names?

Sister Mary Cat (all black except for a white breast)
    Blackie (all black)
    Greymalkin (all grey)
    Fat Stuff (sort of brownish, large and fat but rather disheveled looking)

I believe Greymalkin and Fat Stuff are tomcats and the others female, but I really haven't looked that closely. :smile:

Piano recital this Saturday evening at the college where I've been taking lessons. We've invited a limited audience by reservation only. Masks and social distancing required.
  • How exciting Miss Amanda.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Excellent stuff, Miss Amanda - hope it goes well!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    Oooh! Miss Amanda!!! What will you be playing???
    This is very exciting!
    edited May 2021
    Two Scarlatti sonatas: B minor, K27; and F minor, K466.

Yes, looking forward to it very much.

I call K27 "Scarlatti in the Bathtub," as the crossed hands action reminds me of "splish splash" and the descending scale passage at the end of each section reminds me of pulling the plug and water going down the drain.

They say that Scarlatti was so fat that he had to sit sideways at the keyboard. You can imagine him in the bathtub!

I call K466 "Scarlatti Crying" because it has a sad character to it very uncharacteristic of Scarlatti.
    :lol: I love your Scarlatti nicknames!

Wish we could be there to cheer you on.
    Excellent, Miss Amanda! Do you have them memorized? (The memorizer part of my brain atrophied after decades of learning new music every week!)
    Yes. Scarlatti is not particularly difficult to memorize. Bach is another story altogether, though. I'm also working on some Schubert Impromptus, which are also easy to memorize. I'm putting the finishing touches on Op. 142 No. 1, and will take up Op. 90 No. 2 over the summer -- which will mean I've gotten through all of Op. 90, and all memorized.

I have a great affinity for Schubert. He understood what pianists go through as they try to learn a piece, and his writing always kept pianists in mind. Once you understand what he was trying to do in his pieces, they pretty much fall into place.
    edited May 2021
    How did the recital go, Miss Amanda? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ms. Tamen and I are headed out soon to go to son’s college graduation late today. He wasn’t sure until yesterday that he was actually graduating, thanks to one professor of a really difficult and troublesome class (not in his major) who didn’t post grades on most tests and papers throughout the semester and waited until literally the last minute to post final grades. He was relieved and pleased to find out he did quite a bit better better than the “pass” he needed.

His university is holding something like 13 commencement exercises, with masks and distancing required and only two guests per graduate, so as to allow every graduate to walk. It will also be streamed so other family and friends can watch.

• That is wonderful of them! And congratulations to your son.
    Thanks!
    Yes, well done, son of @Nick Tamen ! Graduation is always such an exciting moment. End of one era, beginning of another. Glad it can be held in person.

Recital went well. We had about a dozen people in the audience, which is fine. Everyone played well, including me. Not perfect, but well done all around.
  • PigwidgeonPigwidgeon Shipmate
    Recital went well. We had about a dozen people in the audience, which is fine. Everyone played well, including me. Not perfect, but well done all around.
    I'm so sorry I had to miss it. Being two days away from moving, I'm going slightly insane!

Congratulations to Miss Amanda and to Son of Nick!
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Congratulations indeed!
    And may Pigwidgeon's household gods guide her effortlessly into her new digs.

My sister just got done moving. She made the mistake (as I did once) of having the movers unpack her. Can you imagine what it is like to be surrounded by all of your possessions, all of them unpacked and none of them put away?
    Thank you, Miss Amanda!

I've hired a company, Smooth Transitions, that specializes in helping us old folks with organizing, decluttering, packing, moving, unpacking, picture hanging, etc. -- whatever we want from their "menu." They are also hiring the movers, people with whom they've worked many, many times. (A friend of mine has used them twice and was very pleased, and they were highly recommended by the people at my new place.)

I've had lots of time this past year (like most people), and friends gave me a lot of gently-used moving boxes, so I've been gradually packing for several months. The Smooth Transitions people have lined up the movers, and they will also meet me at the new place to unpack, put away, make my bed, hang pictures. etc. All of the used boxes will then be passed on to a friend of mine who's moving to the same place in July.

Now if only the window blind man will get my windows covered (temporarily until the new ones come in), and also hoping that there are no computer set-up problems. Fingers crossed, prayers said, etc. etc.

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I've hired a company, Smooth Transitions . . . and they will also meet me at the new place to unpack, put away, make my bed, hang pictures. etc.

I didn't know about them. I'll keep them in mind for my next move.

My sister always said, get your bedroom set up first. That way, regardless of what else happens, you'll be able to get a good night's sleep.
    Well, the Smooth Transitions people will make my bed (I have one large box with bed skirt, mattress pad, sheets, pillows, bed spread) so that will be all set. But if my windows aren't covered, I'm not about to sleep in a bedroom with a huge, uncovered window. I can just imagine all of my new neighbors standing outside Friday morning to see the "new person" as I get out of bed! (Not to mention that the window faces east, so the sun will be waking me up around 5:00 a.m.!)
    Congratulations to your son, Nick!

And I'm so pleased that you did well (I had no doubts at all!) Miss Amanda!!

And, I hope all the moving details go exceedingly smoothly, Pigwidgeon!
    Thanks, jedijudy!
    Thanks for the congratulations, all! It was an interesting commencement. They had it set up for no more than 145 grads per commencement (so no more than 290 guests in a basketball arena), and son’s had only around 70 grads. Only about a dozen people in the platform party. No long speeches, and no “commencement speaker,” which this university doesn’t do even in normal years. So we were done in just over 35 minutes.

But his name was called, he got to walk, and every grad got applause. And Dad’s eyes might have gotten just a little damp.

So glad the recital went well, Miss Amanda. Not surprised, but glad.

And hope the move goes well, Pigwidgeon!

Sounds like a great ceremony, Nick -- much better than long, drawn-out ones with hundreds of people you don't know and horridly boring speeches.

And thanks for the good wishes!
    Best of luck with your house move, Pigwidgeon! :)
    Thanks, Piglet!
  • Wow. I just dropped by, and it's been rather eventful! Congratulations to @Amanda B Reckondwyth to @Nick Tamen 's son! @Pigwidgeon , my hopes and prayers for your new digs. I remember moving my mother into her retirement home went much more smoothly than I had any right to expect. She moved on a Thursday, without a hitch (even our pizza arrived on time!) and I spent the Sunday afternoon hanging her pictures (well, and having a beer as we did). It was actually quite fun. I hadn't had much of a plan, but was able to do it thematically as we collaborated as the afternoon rolled on. Good memories.
  • This elected official didn't pass grade 5 science I think.

"Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX) wonders if there is any way the National Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management can change the rotation of the moon and sun rather than enact reasonable climate change measures."

https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1402628432232546307?s=20
  • Even more amazing is that people have continued to vote for him.
  • "Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX) wonders if there is any way the National Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management can change the rotation of the moon and sun rather than enact reasonable climate change measures."

He knows this isn't possible. It's not a serious suggestion - it's part of a deliberate strategy of sowing a miasma of confusion. If you pretend that climate change might be caused by the orbit of the moon changing, or solar flares, then obviously there's nothing you can do about it, so oh well.

An honest man would point out that we know quite well how fast these orbits are changing, and the effect on the climate from such changes is negligible. Mr. Gohmert is not such a man.
    Even more amazing is that people have continued to vote for him.

It's terrifying to think that we have so many people voting for wackadoodle congress critters.

• edited June 2021
    "Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX) wonders if there is any way the National Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management can change the rotation of the moon and sun rather than enact reasonable climate change measures."

He knows this isn't possible. It's not a serious suggestion - it's part of a deliberate strategy of sowing a miasma of confusion. If you pretend that climate change might be caused by the orbit of the moon changing, or solar flares, then obviously there's nothing you can do about it, so oh well.

An honest man would point out that we know quite well how fast these orbits are changing, and the effect on the climate from such changes is negligible. Mr. Gohmert is not such a man.

How do you know he doesn't believe it's possible? He said it in a public way, and it looks like he believes it. Is he also a creationist? Brief search shows that he is a member of the Southern Baptist denomination, which is creationist.
  • Leorning CnihtLeorning Cniht Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    How do you know he doesn't believe it's possible? He said it in a public way, and it looks like he believes it. Is he also a creationist? Brief search shows that he is a member of the Southern Baptist denomination, which is creationist.

I know several creationists. None of them believe that the Bureau of Land Management has a way of altering the orbit of the Moon.

(Whether he convinces himself that the changing orbits of the Earth and Moon might be the cause of the change in climate or not, I don't know. I suspect it to be a rather disingenuous suggestion, but it's possible he is deluding himself in good faith.)
  • "Rep. Louis Gohmert (R-TX) wonders if there is any way the National Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management can change the rotation of the moon and sun rather than enact reasonable climate change measures."

Not exactly. The Southern Baptist Convention hasn’t, so far as I know, taken a formal position on creationism. Many Southern Baptists, including many prominent and influential ones, are creationist. Many others are not. I know and have known plenty of SBs who aren’t creationists.

• PowderkegPowderkeg Shipmate
    Anybody else excited to see Jeffrey Toobin's triumphant return to CNN this morning?
    Temperature predicted to reach as high as 117 degrees Fahrenheit here in the Phoenix area next week. Right on schedule. [singing] Summertime, summertime, sum sum summertime.
    edited June 2021
    Crikey - that's 47°C!!!

I'm starting to melt just thinking about temperatures like that! :flushed:
  • Powderkeg wrote: »
    Anybody else excited to see Jeffrey Toobin's triumphant return to CNN this morning?

Who?

Oh - the wanker.

I'm not sure I want to use "excited" in the same sentence as Mr. Toobin's name, but sure - why not? He made a mistake (as I see it, the wanking was intentional; having his camera on was a mistake), and now it's reasonable to move on. We've all seen enough videos of people not being fully dressed on zoom calls, and being unexpectedly visible, or people going to the toilet with their video on. And there was a guy on some local council who went to the toilet during a physical meeting whilst wearing his radio mike.

I'm sure Mr. Toobin will get any amount of ribbing about how he might be feeling a bit stiff and the like, though.
This discussion has been closed.