AS: 2021 America! America! God shed his grace on thee! The 2021 USA Thread

Comments

• It was, I believe, 30 years ago this month that we hit 122F here in central Arizona. That's equal to 50C. (They closed our airport temporarily.)
    :fearful:
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    Obamacare survives another legal challenge. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57516488
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Good.
  • Yes. Scarlatti is not particularly difficult to memorize. Bach is another story altogether, though. I'm also working on some Schubert Impromptus, which are also easy to memorize. I'm putting the finishing touches on Op. 142 No. 1, and will take up Op. 90 No. 2 over the summer -- which will mean I've gotten through all of Op. 90, and all memorized.

I have a great affinity for Schubert. He understood what pianists go through as they try to learn a piece, and his writing always kept pianists in mind. Once you understand what he was trying to do in his pieces, they pretty much fall into place.
    Just dropped in a month later to see how spirits were in the great big country in another hemisphere, and found Miss Amanda playing the sort of music I used to play until 70 years ago and now hear on the radio played at twice my former speed. Schubert and Mozart anyway — Scarlatti is a more recent love. And also reminded of a statement of my musician cousin, that some have the gift for memorising and some can sight read, but the two don't go together.
    All power to your fingers, Miss Amanda, while I have to stick with my CDs, radio, vinyls and of course the Internet.
    And kind regards to Shipmates over there – we look forward to getting a new US ambassador some day soon.
    From a promised daytime max of 10°C – staying indoors with the heat pump on.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Found Miss Amanda playing the sort of music I used to play until 70 years ago and now hear on the radio played at twice my former speed. Schubert and Mozart anyway — Scarlatti is a more recent love. And also reminded of a statement of my musician cousin, that some have the gift for memorising and some can sight read, but the two don't go together.

I probably play at your speed.

Schubert is coming along well. Still some rough spots in Op. 142 No. 1 but they're getting better. Finished reading my way through Op. 90 No. 2 but I can't accelerate (yet) in the coda the way you're supposed to.

Very true, very true, about memorizing vs. sight reading. I am terrible at sight reading. My mother was the same way -- she had a very large repertoire memorized and could pick up new things by ear, but she was a poor sight reader too,.
  • Some of the above applies to vocal music too. I have great difficulty picking up the melody of a new hymn, even if we're taken through it before the service, unless it's very straightforward. So I've often asked for copies of the music to be available for those of us who read music if something new is being introduced.
  • I have to have the music unless a hymn is very familiar. Since COVID we aren't using Hymnals of Prayer Books at church -- everything is printed in our bulletins, with no music. I bring my own Hymnal with me so that I can sing with music.
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    I don't have any trouble reading vocal music provided it's in an accessible key and reasonably melodic.
  • Penny SPenny S Shipmate
    Bit of a change of subject, but I am wondering how Biden, who clearly takes his practice of faith very seriously, is going to cope with a decision, if made, by a conclave of RC bishops, counter to Vatican advice, to exclude such as he from communion. Is there any way round this? Recusant priests flown in from Canada? Other bishops not part of the conclave? Reserved hosts smuggled out by non-conforming priests? A priest hole in the White House?
    I don't want to be too humorous about this, though, it seems exceedingly nasty and vicious. And done for the look of things for a particular audience which I don't feel actually includes God.
    What are they proposing, and why would it exclude Mr. Biden?
  • AIUI, the idea is to refuse to allow the President to receive the Sacrament, on account of his less-than-traditional views regarding Dead Horse issues.

Nasty and vicious indeed.

As @Penny S remarks, God is probably nowhere to be seen in this matter, but it says a lot about the mindset of those who think this might be a good idea...

It might hasten the demise of a declining and increasingly irrelevant section of the Church, and possibly enhance Mr Biden's reputation as a practising Christian.
  • As I understand it—and I’m happy to be corrected by someone who knows more than I—what has happened so far as that the US Conference of Catholic Bishops has voted to prepare a report on the meaning of the Eucharist. Some bishops are very vocal about wanting the report to address the propriety of allowing Catholics who take public stands or make public votes in favor of abortion rights to receive Communion; other bishops do not want that, at least not in a way that would appear to target anyone or deny the President Communion.

That report will now be prepared by a committee and will be presented to the Conference at its November meeting. If it is approved, then it must also be approved by the Vatican before it can go into effect, and the Pope has, I think, already signaled his lack of sympathy with such a ban. So, if the report goes so far as to require denying Communion to Biden or other elected officials, it seems fairly likely that the Vatican will delay or deny approval.

Ah - thank you for the explanation, gentlemen.
    Thank you. Do not trust the press on the issue, then.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    Penny S wrote: »
    Thank you. Do not trust the press on the issue, then.
    Well, the press is where I got my info too—but press sources I usually find trustworthy and sources that provided enough detail on the subject to give me some comfort they had studied it and had a clue what they were writing about.

I don't expect the press over here are as deeply interested. Though I have picked up that two churches near Biden will be happy to keep welcoming him.
  • Pangolin GuerrePangolin Guerre Shipmate
    edited June 2021
    As I posted in Purg, being denied Communion is not necessarily a bad thing, depending who one asks.

Of course, Biden could always find an Old Catholic Church congregation, as the OCC, while very traditional in some respects (Latin Mass), on some issues takes a left at Albuquerque, and may or may not be good fit.

Code fixed - Piglet, AS host
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    How are Shipmates living on the West Coast coping with the absolutely mad temperatures of which we hear?

<votive>
  • Doing well in our neck of the woods thankfully. We get cool nights and morning fog drifting in from the bay. This week it is ONLY in the mid to high 90's during the day, and then only for a few hours in the late afternoon. Somehow less than 100F does not seem that bad after living in an area where there was no cooling fog, and summer-long double-digit weather for weeks at a time.
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    Happy 4th of July, dear American friends! :)
    ^^ What he said - sorry I'm a bit late, but been travelling all day.
  • Thank you! You're very kind.
  • Thanks all, Piglet you are not late at all for those on the West Coast it is only the middle of the afternoon.
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Thank you! Happy 4th to all!
  • Thanks y’all! A happy Fourth to all those who celebrate, in whatever way, today!

• jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    After a lovely Fourth celebration, we were battening down our hatches here. Elsa decided she wanted to be a hurricane again as she sailed by our coast. She is definitely a rain maker! I'm about a 45 minute drive inland and so far have had three inches of rain. (Eyeballing the gauge from my back door...it's still raining!) My friend who lives half way between me and the coast has had six inches of rain so far, and Daughter-Unit has had more than that! One of the towns about a thirty minute drive north had thirteen inches of rain from this storm! I hope they're all ok up there. :cry:

So...all of you still in the path, watch out for flooding! (We're in an areal flood warning zone for another three and a half hours.)

In spite of her name, Elsa seems to have missed going to WDW for the most part!! :joy:
    Thirteen inches of rain??? Crikey!
  • I’m holding my breath and crossing my fingers. Where I am, we’ve been planning an outdoor Covid memorial tonight, with about 400 handmade lanterns (each representing 10,000 people who’ve died). I just want the rain, which we likely will get from Elsa even though we’re not in the direct path, to hold off long enough . . . .

Nick, I hope the memorial happens without the rain!
    We weren't in the direct path either, but were on the 'dirty side'. Stay safe up there.
  • jedijudy wrote: »
    Nick, I hope the memorial happens without the rain!
    It did, and it went really, really nicely. 400 lanterns and people with candles, encircling the “lake” (that’s what it’s called, but it’s more like a big pond). It was very moving.

Whew!

• DooneDoone Shipmate
    That sounds absolutely lovely, @Nick Tamen!
    I'm so glad the memorial went well, Nick! I'm sure it was a comfort for those who needed a special time.
    A slight tangent. When I moved to Florida those many, many years ago, I was always bemused upon learning the names of the little ponds were Lake This or Lake That.

But then, there is a pretty significant lake to my east!
    In Newfoundland it's rather the opposite: every body of inland water, no matter how big, is called a pond, except for Quidi Vidi Lake in St. John's, where they hold the oldest rowing regatta in North America.

At the end of each race, though, the band plays a tune called Up the Pond.

Confused? You will be ... :mrgreen:
  • CrœsosCrœsos Shipmate
    Piglet wrote: »
    In Newfoundland it's rather the opposite: every body of inland water, no matter how big, is called a pond, except for Quidi Vidi Lake in St. John's, where they hold the oldest rowing regatta in North America.

It's my understanding that the official geological/hydrological distinction between a pond and a lake is depth, not surface area. In a pond all the water is in the photic zone (i.e. light can penetrate to the bottom of the pond) while a lake has an aphotic zone. How deep that is depends on how clear the water is. In the ocean the photic zone is 200m deep. In a lake with a lot of sediment and/or algae it could be significantly less.
    Interesting - thanks for that! :)
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Can an outsider check how you are coping with the extreme heat? I just saw a photo on some news site or other at Fountain Creek with a temperature of 56 degrees showing on a large thermometer.
  • Gee D wrote: »
    Can an outsider check how you are coping with the extreme heat? I just saw a photo on some news site or other at Fountain Creek with a temperature of 56 degrees showing on a large thermometer.
    Hmmm. I’m a little confused. I’m not sure where Fountain Creek is (the one in Colorado?), but temperatures in the US are measured in Fahrenheit, not Celsius, and it would be very unusual in my experience for a large thermometer sign to present the temperature in Celsius. 56° C would be 133° F, and the National Weather Service gives the high yesterday for the contiguous US as 127° F in Death Valley. Meanwhile, the National Weather Service gives temperatures in the 90s as highs in the Fountain Springs part of Colorado this week, with lows in the 50s and 60s.

Which is not to say parts of the US haven’t been experiencing unusually high temperatures. But I don’t know of anywhere that’s gotten up to 56° C where such high temperatures aren’t the norm for this time of year.

• bassobasso Shipmate
    I saw the photo too. It was taken at the Furnace Creek visitor center in Death Valley (a good place for extreme highs).
    It's not an official reading, and the caption at the NY Times story notes that the reading is higher than the official one.
  • basso wrote: »
    I saw the photo too. It was taken at the Furnace Creek visitor center in Death Valley (a good place for extreme highs).
    It's not an official reading, and the caption at the NY Times story notes that the reading is higher than the official one.
    Ah, thanks. That makes more sense. And I can see somewhere like that using Celsius as well as Fahrenheit on a sign.

We've been having a little rain! Yesterday and Tuesday's total was 4.2 inches of water. We had a downpour already this morning, but the sun is now shining. Rain and sun makes for amazingly tall weeds and grass! The orchids are loving it, though!
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    We dodged a bullet with Hurricane Ida. Two small tornadoes touched down briefly about twenty miles from here. There was a tornado about a half mile from here which may or not have touched down briefly.

Considering what might have happened, we were lucky.
  • Amen!
    Hooray!!! We may have some slightly cooler mornings next week before the heat and humidity return after a few days. Some of us may be welcoming morning temps in the high sixties with less humidity, and I can't wait!!!! Of course, it is still supposed to be 90 degrees in the afternoons. But I consider this a step in the right direction!!
  • Today we had a murder (ie bunch) of crows arguing about something all day. I am hoping they start moving south this week. It was so noisy I would have preferred a political debate.
  • The birds seem to come through St. Louis all in a crowd in November, I think it is--trees and trees full of birds, all chattering away at the top of their lungs, for about two-three weeks. The leaves have all fallen by then, but it doesn't matter, for the birds take their place. It's both pleasant and unnerving at the same time. I am glad to see so many of them; but I keep expecting Alfred Hitchcock.
    When our cool, non-humid weather returns, I'm looking forward to opening my windows so I can hear those birds! The cardinals, the mockingbirds, the great crested flycatchers (and so many more!) and even the blue jays!

Right now, if the AC has cycled off, I can hear a mockingbird if it's singing in the tree near my front window. That's about it.

Yet, there is a difference between squawking and singing!
  • I have not seen our resident crows for several weeks now. I am surprised that they would move on as we do not get freezing weather here. Perhaps they just moved over to the other side of town for some kind of choice food.

• We nearly ran over three crows in the street today. I suggested to my husband that he make friends with them--that way, the next time he loses his keys or glasses in the garden, they might bring them to him.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    I read that as "cows" at first. And for a moment in my mind your husband was Hindu. Which, I know. Time for an eye exam.

I came here to post that it is raining here in SoCal. Thunder and lightning, which I last remember happening during the baseball playoffs in 2018, and rain, which we haven't had in months. Probably won't last, but wow.
This discussion has been closed.