AS: 2021 America! America! God shed his grace on thee! The 2021 USA Thread

Comments

• Rain, what's that? Pretty sure my state is under a drought right now, which is not normal, except nothing is normal anymore.
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    You should have asked - we've got more than enough in Edinburgh! :mrgreen:
  • Send, send, send!!!!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host, 8th Day Host
    Even though we're still in rainy season, I've had to water plants quite a bit lately. There's a chance of thunderstorms today, so I hope those lovely dark clouds bless me with some water today. I heard thunder yesterday, but had no rain.

For some reason, my plants prefer God's water to the stuff I give them.
    Could you collect God's water in a barrel, then tell your plants where it came from? ;)
    edited October 2021
    Piglet, you have read my mind! For some reason, God's water that has been sitting in a vessel on the ground doesn't count as good as the water thrown from the sky. It's definitely better than the stuff that comes out of the pipes, but you can almost hear the little darlings sobbing (or swearing) at me.
    "Remember the 2017, how delicious it was?"
    "Oh, yes! Unlike that swill the Water Lady brought us yesterday."
  • Amanda B ReckondwythAmanda B Reckondwyth Mystery Worship Editor
    Plants apparently don't subscribe to the maxim "Beggars can't be choosers."
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Well. It is supposed to rain here in SoCal early through mid-morning. Very exciting! 🌧️😁 You'd almost think it is fall. 🍂
  • Ooooh! Or January.
  • RuthRuth Shipmate
    It appears to have rained over night here on the coast, but only enough to lay the dust. But it's cool enough that I'm wearing close-toed shoes and long sleeves for the second day in a row. I had to figure out where I stashed all my socks!
    Miss Amanda, surprisingly it's the almost-weed type plants (vinca) that complain the most. The orchids just hang there and look pleasantly unconcerned!
  • Your vinca dies?
  • Maybe it doesn't die, but just hangs there looking crappy and bitches. Like you, I can't imagine vinca dying.
    No, they (mostly) live forever. And go forth and multiply. They just shrivel up their leaves and look forlorn.

We had a bit of rain yesterday late afternoon. Most of the vincas got very happy. One is a bit precious and is whining for some reason.

There are ten waist high vincas that came from the mother which hitched a ride as a tiny thing in a pot with an amaryllis that my BFF gave me years ago. The mama finally died this past spring. Don't know why; the amaryllis is fruitfully multiplying! :joy:
  • Lamb ChoppedLamb Chopped Shipmate
    edited October 2021
    Just googled to discover we probably mean something a bit different. Out here, "vinca" refers to a trailing ground cover which is damn near impossible to pull up and which gets no higher than, say, six inches off the ground. The viny bits feel like plastic-coated steel wire.
  • https://www.thespruce.com/thmb/WgboOEJo6ex8iTUT3YlKtuS0nbE=/5000x3300/filters:fill(auto,1)/Vinca-minor-blooming-big-577d479d3df78cb62c7c6336.jpg
    If you all have the book of face, you can see mine here.
    The color in the picture is a pale image of the brightly colored things that they actually are. The eye in the middle is such a vivid hot pink that it almost hurts my eyes!

It never occurred to me that we would be talking about two different plants!
  • Beautiful. Apparently there are a family of vincas.
  • Happy dance, and a sigh of relief. Rain is forecast every day for the next week. This means the end of fire season, and the first year in the last 5 that we did not have to evacuate or be on stand-by to leave. The move off of the mountain this year was a good decision for us.
    I hope the rain refreshes all of you there, Graven Image!

We're just about to start our dry season. We had a soupçon of fall weather this morning! 66 degrees and the humidity was hardly noticeable!
    Ahh, Fall is over and Summer coming back.
    Oh dear.
    What happened to winter and spring? :confused:

• That was a lovely description of our place here, Ms Amanda - thank you.
    I think Fall returns next week! After not-quite-August misery these next few days.

Rainy season looks to be ending. Hopefully hurricane season is done too, even if not by the calendar!
    It was 59 degrees yesterday morning!!! So refreshing! I could actually open a couple of windows which hasn't happened since April!

Not as cool this morning, but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes.
    59°F (15°C?) is pretty much Optimum Piglet Temperature™ - not too warm, not too cold. :)
  • I just spent the day snoozing and intermittently listening to Mr Lamb swear as he manhandled potted plants into the house. This is what we get for being taken up with other crises before surgery today! I cannot see worth a darn, and have to leave practically everything to him. I can type on a computer. Any closer work, or further, is a blurry blank. Meh.
  • Today was Election Day and some important races. I hope everyone voted!
  • NicoleMR wrote: »
    Today was Election Day and some important races. I hope everyone voted!
    No elections where I live yesterday. Odd numbered years are only for municipal elections in my state, and the elections in many municipalities, including mine, were postponed by the legislature because the census data were released so late.

It appears that Virginia has fallen, though. Lacrymosa dies illa (A day for crying, that day is.)
  • Not really surprising, given the complete shambles of a campaign that McAuliffe ran. His whole campaign appeared to be "Youngkin = Trump", which is less of a threat when Trump is neither on the ballot nor in the White House. He was thrown a softball with the Toni Morrison AP English issue, but struck out.
    ess of a threat when Trump is neither on the ballot nor in the White House

Give him time.

I am so ashamed to live in Arizona when I consider what Mrs. Sinema has turned into. What do the Democrats think will happen if they don't stand squarely behind the President and his agenda?
  • ess of a threat when Trump is neither on the ballot nor in the White House

Give him time.

I am so ashamed to live in Arizona when I consider what Mrs. Sinema has turned into. What do the Democrats think will happen if they don't stand squarely behind the President and his agenda?

I cannot see Democrats so much voting Republican as simply staying home.

It's cold here today! WooHoo!!
    Actually, November has been much more comfortable than many past years have been. AND, big plus, we've had some rain which really has been delightful! (My plants, especially my orchids, are happy.)
    jedijudy wrote: »
    It's cold here today!
    Would you care to define "cold"? :mrgreen:

• My Thanksgiving cactus is blooming! And it's HUGE.
    Piglet wrote: »

It was mid 50's yesterday morning, and 49 here this morning!!! It was cold enough for me to wear my hair down!! (That's like a wool coat, you know.) Now it's 79, so the hair is back in a knot again.

Oooh, LC! I'd love to see a picture!

Mid-50s °F and I'd be thinking about discarding my socks ... :mrgreen:
  • jedijudy wrote: »
    Piglet wrote: »

It was mid 50's yesterday morning, and 49 here this morning!!! It was cold enough for me to wear my hair down!! (That's like a wool coat, you know.) Now it's 79, so the hair is back in a knot again.
    My mother-in-law grew up in Miami (which she pronounces my-AM-ah). In her day (the 30s and 40s), school was cancelled if the temperature fell below 50° F, as the schools had not heating. :mrgreen:

Hmm, Nick! If my mom still had her memory, I'd ask her about cancelling school because of the cold, too! (I am the first one in my mom's family not born in Florida in many generations!) She did tell me that in the winter time, she would go to school with a sweater on, and had to take it off on the walk home. That did not compute to this child raised in freezing, snowy Pennsylvania!! And you are bringing back a pleasant memory of my Mom, Grandma and Aunts saying Miami just as you mentioned!!

Piglet, I hate wearing socks, no matter the temp!!
  • Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
  • Happy Thanksgiving!
    Happy Thanksgiving, one and all - hope you're having a good day (and plenty of FOOD).
  • Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for all who sail this ship.
    Happy Thanksgiving! I love this holiday!
    Hope you all had as much fun as we did!
  • Happy Thanksgiving to you all.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    My brother in Chicago says Thanksgiving is his favourite holiday. I think it's the pumpkin pie.
  • Huia wrote: »
    My brother in Chicago says Thanksgiving is his favourite holiday. I think it's the pumpkin pie.
    It’s my favorite holiday too, or a close second to Christmas.

But in my case it’s definitely not the pumpkin pie. :mrgreen:

• RuthRuth Shipmate
    Thanksgiving is the best holiday because the main expectations are that everyone gathers at home and eats a big meal. And sometimes it's my birthday, which sucked when I was a kid but is awesome now.

My mom's care home broke the rules yesterday and let family members eat with their people. They set up separate tables spaced far apart in a common area. It was the first meal my mother had at a table with a family member since early March 2020. Fingers crossed they'll do it again at Christmas when more family visit and it's not just me and her.
This discussion has been closed.