Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Heaven: 2021 Proof Americans and Brits speak a different language

Comments

• GarethMoon wrote: »
    Lyda wrote: »
    Yes, having been bombarded by "surname arms" by various spam accounts they don't have any relationship to the actual arms that apply to the line I'm descended from. I'm female, no right to bear arms, ever, but I do know what the arms of my paternal grandfather's family look like.

Are you sure? To me it seems like while as a female you could not pass the arms to your offspring, would it be possible to bear a lozenge with the pattern but no crest if your dad had inherited the arms?

If she, her father or grandfather wasn't born within wedlock, that would nullify any right to use the paternal grandfather's family arms.

If she is married then she wouldn't be allowed to use those arms (unless she is the eldest daughter and there are no brothers, and even then it's complicated).

Assuming it's English arms.

For the three people who care: in Canada armorial bearings can be used by the grantee's descendents, male, female, or non-binary. The distinction between legitimate and illegitimate not existing in Canada, there is no requirement to be the former to inherit. Most grants, available on the Heraldry Bureau of Canada site, should you really be an insomniac, will normally include differenced arms (often of the bordure or change of tincture type) for the the children of the grantee, and mentioning that the eldest child will in due course inherit the arms. Presumably as grandchildren appear, they will get differencing by grant or amendment to the grant, or maybe (as this is all rather recent) just get the standard Canadian differencing marks.
  • @Augustine the Aleut PMing you re: the above.
  • The Bureau early on took the approach that as an agency of the state it would support Canadian civil law, not argue with it.
  • A comment on another thread about 'supper' in Scotland meaning 'with chips' (in a takeaway) made me realise this wasn't a common usage down south (England).

If we go to a fast food restaurant and order a burger we will be asked if we want it as a 'meal' which is code for a deal including fries and a soft drink. I have a feeling that in the USA there is a different word used for this, not meal (nor supper!)...but I can't recall it. Can anyone enlighten?
  • A comment on another thread about 'supper' in Scotland meaning 'with chips' (in a takeaway) made me realise this wasn't a common usage down south (England).

If we go to a fast food restaurant and order a burger we will be asked if we want it as a 'meal' which is code for a deal including fries and a soft drink. I have a feeling that in the USA there is a different word used for this, not meal (nor supper!)...but I can't recall it. Can anyone enlighten?
    In my part of the US (the South), “with fries and a drink” would either be called a “meal” or a “combo,” depending on the fast food restaurant. But either would be understood, regardless of what the menu board says.

• Nick Tamen wrote: »
    A comment on another thread about 'supper' in Scotland meaning 'with chips' (in a takeaway) made me realise this wasn't a common usage down south (England).

In my part of the US (the South), “with fries and a drink” would either be called a “meal” or a “combo,” depending on the fast food restaurant. But either would be understood, regardless of what the menu board says.

In one restaurant in this town adding fries and a drink makes it a "basket".

And "meal" (or "combo") could also mean "with chips (crisps) and drink" if you were in a sandwich shop or similar.

The general concept (turn this main-protein into a full meal by adding a starch and a drink) is pretty widespread; the details might differ a bit.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Nick Tamen wrote: »
    A comment on another thread about 'supper' in Scotland meaning 'with chips' (in a takeaway) made me realise this wasn't a common usage down south (England).

Combo would work here. As would meal I think, or meal deal.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    It's either a meal or a combo at most fast-food restaurants here in Canada, as well. And the default is to add chips although there's often the option to swap out the chips for some other side, like a small salad.
  • Trudy wrote: »
    It's either a meal or a combo at most fast-food restaurants here in Canada, as well. And the default is to add chips although there's often the option to swap out the chips for some other side, like a small salad.

So would that be chips as in British chips/US fries, or chips as in British crisps/US chips? Context (fast food restaurant) suggests the former but I (maybe wrongly) thought Canada used US terms for this.
  • Trudy wrote: »

Pubs here (Toronto) will often let you do a "half and half", it being half salad, half chips. Separated on the plate, I emphasise.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    I've never understood that though. Salad isn't a replacement for chips; if the portion size is such that chips are warranted (and they normally are with a burger, for example), you're going to be bloody hungry if you have a salad instead. That's the point of chips; they fill you up. Salads don't.
  • Rev per MinuteRev per Minute Shipmate
    edited July 2021
    Trudy wrote: »

Pubs here (Toronto) will often let you do a "half and half", it being half salad, half chips. Separated on the plate, I emphasise.

In Cardiff and south Wales, "half and half" (pronounced 'arf an arf') is half rice, half chips (fries) with a curry or similar. Described by our late First Minister as 'Cardiff's contribution to the culinary world'...
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    I've never understood that though. Salad isn't a replacement for chips; if the portion size is such that chips are warranted (and they normally are with a burger, for example), you're going to be bloody hungry if you have a salad instead. That's the point of chips; they fill you up. Salads don't.
    My wife will almost always choose the salad over fries/chips, as would my daughter. It’s a combination of not wanting deep-fried, very salty food and not wanting to fill up on the side dish. Neither wife nor daughter is going to order a burger very often, but when they do, they want to balance it with something healthier than fries/chips.

• I'll usually choose the salad too, certainly with a burger in a bun, because I've already got carbohydrate with the bun, so I don't need more starch with added fat. At home, I might skip the bun and make oven chips (and substitute in a bean burger), and eat salad too. And no, I don't use the fast food burger joints, not since I stopped working with teenagers as a tutor and buying them lunch in their preferred places. All I bought then was a black coffee for me.
  • I love the idea of having half salad half chips; I never finish my chips/fries.

Re: the use of ‘supper’ earlier for chips/fries, I am familiar with the phrase fish supper and am now wondering if it was because my parents were northerners (Lancastrian). Obviously I also knew what ‘pudding’ meant in that thread’s conversation. Despite being a southerner I still use northern phrases and eat tea in the evening.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Around this bit of SoCal onion rings and deep fried zucchini are acceptable sides.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Around this bit of SoCal onion rings and deep fried zucchini are acceptable sides.

In batter? Tell me they're in batter - if it's crispy enough, I'm moving there.

• When I was young, what you hauled away from the chip shop or the off-licence was a 'carry-out' , but when I crossed the Atlantic it became a 'take-away'. Or is this just my scrambled memory confounding me again?
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    I suppose it depends on the person. A burger bun is only a small fraction of the amount of carbs I need to not leave the table hungry.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    In that context, when I say chips I mean fries. Here in Newfoundland the two terms are pretty interchangeable, with the older generation (my age, 50+ and up) more likely to call them chips, and younger folks more likely to say fries. But we also use the term chips for what the British call crisps.

Context makes it pretty clear what you're talking about, as people know the difference between what you get with "fish and chips" and what you get with "a bag of chips and a bottle of drink" (I have recently been informed that nobody except Nflders refers to a soft drink/soda/pop as a "bottle of drink" or a "can of drink," but we do).
  • When I was young, what you hauled away from the chip shop or the off-licence was a 'carry-out' , but when I crossed the Atlantic it became a 'take-away'. Or is this just my scrambled memory confounding me again?
    We’d generally call it “take out” here (American South).

• In my US locale, I hear both carry-out and takeout, with perhaps a 2:1 preference for takeout. Only weird Brits like me call it a "takeaway" although everyone understands what that means.

I've never heard it used for something you buy from the off-licence, though - that's just "shopping". It gets used at the local brewpub, which will also sell you beer to take away.
  • In addition to "carry out" and "takeout" we also have "to go".
  • Firenze wrote: »

In batter? Tell me they're in batter - if it's crispy enough, I'm moving there.

There's a fried chicken chain in Chicago that offered deep fried (battered) mushrooms. Yummmm.
  • Just ran across a local hamburger place that offers fried okra. Not big on burgers, but the fried okra wants me to give it a try.
  • The fish and chip shop in Dorchester, Dorset used to sell deep fried battered mushrooms and pea fritters with frozen peas. Haven't been there for years to see if they still do.

Where I live on the Canadian prairies "take out". We don't have chip shops. People will say fish and chips, but they're fries other wise. Normal is to have ketchup and/or vinegar with them.

Poutine is fries with cheese curds, for me, hold the gravy. Pooh'tin is the pronunciation I'm used to, but I hear pooh-teen more often with emphasis on the second syllable.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    "Take away" here. None of the other variations.
  • Just ran across a local hamburger place that offers fried okra. Not big on burgers, but the fried okra wants me to give it a try.
    Fried okra is food of the gods.

• Just had fried okra (for the first time) last week! The texture was good but the flavor was kind of dull. Used sauce; with which it was great.
  • EnochEnoch Shipmate
    Normally a 'takeaway' in England. A 'takeaway' is a meal, not a bottle or a drink, though you might buy a soft drink to have with it. Chippies and takeaways don't normally have licences. To me a 'carry-oot' is as Scots as a Mars Bar in batter.

I can't imagine that even frying or putting it in batter would make okra anything other than inedibly revolting. Okra has gone down in my memory as nearly as horrible as gefilte fish.

• Enoch wrote: »
    I can't imagine that even frying or putting it in batter would make okra anything other than inedibly revolting. Okra has gone down in my memory as nearly as horrible as gefilte fish.
    Okra is a staple of Southern American cuisine. Fried okra is breaded, not battered.* Okra is wonderful if cooked properly (fried, roasted, grilled or in gumbo is best), but somewhat slimy otherwise (particularly steamed).

*As should be onion rings in my opinion. I know others my disagree, but I’m not a fan of battered onion rings.

• I’ve had curried okra (bhindi bhaji) when I was younger and thought it horrible but recently had a simple okra soup dish from a Nigerian take away which was delicious
  • This western Canadian has never seen okra.
    No idea the difference between battered and breaded. They're the same to me.
    People like to do breaded zucchini which seems odd to me. A perfectly good mild vegetable that's good raw when small and lightly fried when older.
  • I like okra/ladies' fingers/bhindi or whatever you call it; fried in small rings is a completely different taste and texture to curried in a bhaji.

Breadcrumb coating can be nicer than batter, depends on whether it's proper homemade crumb, not the purchased bright orange synthetic crumbs covering, say, fish fingers.

The other meal options are the meal deals found in supermarkets - a sandwich, packet of crisps or pot of fruit and a drink at a set price (maybe £3.50/£4.50 now - used to be £3 a few years back).
    Depends what you mean by 'lightly' fried. I oil up a ridged metal pan and grill it until it has black stripes.

But if I could have the crispy fritters I had that time in Athens I would.
  • This western Canadian has never seen okra.
    No idea the difference between battered and breaded. They're the same to me.
    Battered means dipped and coated in a batter (typically egg, milk/buttermilk, flour, perhaps beer), and then deep fried.

Breaded means dipped in egg (as a binder) then dipped or tossed in breadcrumbs or perhaps flour or cornmeal and then fried.
  • Sounds awful. Deep fried anything being awful.
    Enoch wrote: »
    Okra is a staple of Southern American cuisine. Fried okra is breaded, not battered.* Okra is wonderful if cooked properly (fried, roasted, grilled or in gumbo is best), but somewhat slimy otherwise (particularly steamed).

*As should be onion rings in my opinion. I know others my disagree, but I’m not a fan of battered onion rings.

Agreed on onion rings. Josephine's dad passed down a recipe for onion rings/straws where you soak the onions in milk, then toss them in seasoned flour, then fry. We never seem to be able to get them to the table.
  • LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Sounds awful. Deep fried anything being awful.

I am not a fluent speaker of Southern American English, but I believe the correct response to this would be "Bless your heart."
  • Leaf wrote: »

I am not a fluent speaker of Southern American English, but I believe the correct response to this would be "Bless your heart."

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Does this reference lipids and cholesterol?

Very aptly used. :wink:

• I disavow any prior acquaintance with @NOprophet_NØprofit! He doesn't know the difference between battered and breaded? How could he face his (e.g.) Nova Scotian or Newfoundland cousins? Mine certainly have their cod battered, not breaded.

Question for those wherever - Do you use a condiment on onion rings? I like mine with vinegar. A friend of mine, born in Antigonish, lived in Montréal, now in Toronto, is a convert to the Vinegar Party.
  • My Nova Scotia relatives are western Canada and Quebec transplants. I like everything fish. All of it. I want it to taste fishy.
    Not like battered and deep fried? O tempura! O mores!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Firenze wrote: »
    Not like battered and deep fried? O tempura! O mores!

Naughty!
  • A little American Independence Day Humor for July 4th.

King George III, Colour
    George Washington Color

King Homour
    Washington Humor

King Flavour
    Washington Flavor

King What are you doing?
    Washington Getting rid of u.