Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: The Temple Church, London, England

imageShip of Fools: The Temple Church, London, England

Babies good as gold, wine in three colours, baptism in a punchbowl, bishop upstaged by the organ

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• What a report! Thank you, Cool Dude. And thank you for all the fascinating information about the enclave.

I had to google Inigo. How very fascinating re the names.

I realise I could google, and if I should tell me so, but I like the wisdom of shipmates.

How do ‘peculiars’ come about? What happened to the Knights at the Reformation? Are private chapels (relatively) regularly present around England?
  • 'Peculiars' are indeed just that - as you appreciate, Google is likely to be your friend, so here's a link to Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Peculiar

It tells you about non-Royal peculiars, too.

The Knights Templar were disbanded by the Pope in 1312, long before the Reformation, but AIUI some of their beliefs, and practices, are still to be found today in various groups such as the Freemasons.

Private chapels are to be found here and there in England, as adjuncts to great houses (in which case they may today be the 'public' parish church), and private pews for the local Squire and family are still extant, though perhaps not now used as such.

There are also a few churches, known as 'Proprietary Chapels', which, although using the C of E liturgy, belong to a private individual, or trustees. They have no parish as such, and I think there are one or two which now adhere to one or other of the little 'Continuing Anglican' bodies. Again, Wikipedia helps:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_chapel
  • The Knights Templar were disbanded by the Pope in 1312, long before the Reformation,
    Disbanded and burned at the stake. @Climacus, it’s a story worth exploring.
    AIUI some of their beliefs, and practices, are still to be found today in various groups such as the Freemasons.
    Or so the Freemasons say. 😉

• You may think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
    :wink:
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate

Nick Tamen wrote: »
    The Knights Templar were disbanded by the Pope in 1312, long before the Reformation,
    Disbanded and burned at the stake. @Climacus, it’s a story worth exploring.

Disbanded, knights burnt at the stake, and the Order's assets forfeited.
  • Thank you kind people for the information and links... Much appreciated.

Off to investigate the grisly tale of end of the Knights; thank you for that.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    The bit I put in italics explains it all
  • Yes, it does. A grisly, and not particularly edifying, episode in the life of the Church...

BTW, the Cathars were finally exterminated (well, so far as was possible - there are still some around!) at roughly the same time, after a very long struggle.
  • Gee D wrote: »
    The bit I put in italics explains it all
    Indeed.

• ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    edited August 2019
    I was not meaning to state it didn't. But I am one of those sad sacks who would happily read 100s of pages explaining the background, the political, religious, etc. concerns at the time, the impact, and any current thoughts*, once I have an idea of what went on and where I could possibly look. Which is what I did last night. Thank you to you all again.

* The Chinon Parchment, "a historical document discovered in September, 2001, by Barbara Frale, [who has] claimed that, in 1308, Pope Clement V absolved the last Grand Master, Jacques de Molay, and the rest of the leadership of the Knights Templar from charges brought against them by the Medieval Inquisition" was interesting... Apologies if this is well-known to all.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Yes, I'd heard of it but not in that detail. Of course the Pope did not give Phillip the money he stood to gain from dissolution of the Templars and so the secular process proceeded.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    I studied the Knights Templars as part of a degree course I did when I first retired. One of the most interesting books I found was The Templars, Selected sources translated and annotated by Malcolm Barber and Keith Bate, Manchester University Press. Absolutely fascinating (to me 😉) to read actual documents written at the time.
  • Thank you Doone!
  • Box PewBox Pew Shipmate
    There is a rather good volume on the fascinating history of the Temple Church edited and partly written by The Revd and Valiant Master of the Temple (in real world language, the Chaplain) Robin Griffith-Jones. It is called The Temple Church: History, Architecture, Art (2013) and can be bought from the usual places, or better still a physical bookshop. A nice holiday read for those who like such topics.