Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: St Anne's, Edge Hill, Liverpool, England

imageShip of Fools: St Anne's, Edge Hill, Liverpool, England

Love and goodwill in abundance

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• It is wonderful to hear about the warmth of the vicar. It is not in any way a sin not to know words which apply or do not apply to particular religious communities.
    It is,however,I would have thought,fairly common to know that the word 'vicar' is very often applied to a priest who has the charge of a CofE parish. The word 'vicar' is indeed used within the RC community but it generally has a different meaning from the one which I think that Urganda is implying.
  • Yes, I spotted that. IME, RC priests are often referred to simply as the 'parish priest', or, sometimes (is this an Americanism?), the 'pastor'.

BTW, another small point spotted by this incurable pedant - the railway referred to by @Urganda is presumably the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, opened in 1830. This wasn't actually the world's first passenger-carrying railway (several others beat them to it!), but it was the first 'inter-city' line, as we might say today, worked entirely by steam locomotives.

@Urganda is quite right, of course, in referring to Liverpool's complex, and very interesting, history!
  • I wasn't aware that "pastor" was considered an Americanism. Historically we've always called the priest in charge of a RC parish the pastor. If he was also a monsignor (as most but not all pastors were), he would most likely be referred to as "the monsignor." Nowadays I think it's more likely that you would see "parish administrator" or some other such term -- that is, if you see the term "parish" at all. "Faith community" seems to be the term in vogue.

Ordinarily, in editing, I would fact-check the parish's website to see what titles they use for their clergy. However, the web address supplied by the reporter brings up a "This site has been permanently closed" message and I can find no other website for this particular church.
  • Hookers_TrickHookers_Trick Admin Emeritus
    There is a episode of 'Are You Being Served' in which one of the characters is impersonating an Orthodox priest (as one does), and another character refers to him as impersonating a 'Greek Orthodox vicar'.

Don't ask how I recall this...
  • Parish Priest is the term most commonly used (and is used on the Archdiocesean website).

The parish in question is in fact St Anne and St Bernard, the result of an amalgamation of two former parishes, though the church attended is dedicated to St Anne - the former St Barnard's church has been put to good use http://www.liverpoolcatholic.org.uk/index.php?p=2016
  • Thanks for all your contributions. I'm pretty sure (though certain of nothing) that he told me he was the vicar
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    Maybe he thought you were an Anglican :flushed: and used the word to make you feel at home?
    :wink:
  • That is very possible. I expect my Anglican descent is stamped all over me.
  • What is it that Bette Midler said of Her Majesty the Queen: "One look at her and you know . . . she's Protestant."
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    :lol: again!

BTW, I'd be interested (am I allowed to say this?) in an MW Report about St Dunstan, Edge Hill - the local C of E church (part of a Team Ministry, with a huge Victorian building imaginatively re-ordered a few years back by Richard Giles).

It would be a piquant contrast to the RC St Anne's, I think, but, alas, there's no way I could get to Liverpool to 'oblige'.
  • Thanks for the hint. I'd love to go, but it may be a while.
  • Well, as and when...
    :wink:

St Dunstan's is AFAIK in vacancy again at the moment, early promise (after the reordering) having apparently not been fulfilled. Yet...