Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: St Valentine’s, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

imageShip of Fools: St Valentine’s, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Give love a chance – and be sure to send God a Valentine’s Day card!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    What’s with the rose vestments?
  • Hazarding a guess, I would say because it was their feast of title, their title saint being a martyr, but it was also Quinquagesima Sunday.
  • Yes, I wondered that, but the commercial liturgical colour for Valentine's Day (according to the Use of Hallmark) is surely pink, no?

Here in the higher strata of the C of E, our rather nice rose-pink chasuble (we don't have a full High Mass set) comes out on Lent 4, which is also Mothering/Refreshment Sunday*, and on Advent 3 (but I'm not sure why).

(*A sort of pit-stop during the austerity of the Lenten fast, and said to be a throwback to the Middle Ages.)

Martyrs get our dark blood-red chasuble...
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    edited February 2021
    Isn't Advent 3 Rose Sunday? The day for the pink Advent candle. St Sanity does not run to rose vestments, a bit of a luxury for us and I'd imagine most other parishes.

Mothering Sunday is low key here, the major feast being Mothers' Day in May.
  • Gee D wrote: »
    Isn't Advent 3 Rose Sunday? The day for the pink Advent candle. St Sanity does not run to rose vestments, a bit of a luxury for us and I'd imagine most other parishes.

Mothering Sunday is low key here, the major feast being Mothers' Day in May.

Yes, Advent 3 is indeed the day for the pink Advent Candle - but why? A topic for another thread...
  • Advent 3 is Gaudete Sunday, from the opening word of the Introit (Philippians 4:4-6). "Rejoice", thus rose.

Lent 4 is Laetare Sunday, again from the opening word of the Introit (Isaiah 66:10). "Be happy", thus rose.

The idea is to dispel somewhat, but guardedly, the gloom of Lenten purple.
  • Thank you, Miss Amanda - as long as the use of rose-pink is based on Bible Verses, all is well...
    :wink:

Thanks for the Report as well. An interesting insight into a branch of the Catholic church with which many of us are probably unfamiliar.
  • I had not previously heard of it either.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Indeed, thanks for the MW and the reminder for Advent 3 and Lent 4.
  • Yes, I wondered that, but the commercial liturgical colour for Valentine's Day (according to the Use of Hallmark) is surely pink, no?
    Red, actually, though pink is certainly acceptable as an accent liturgical color.

• What does 'accent' liturgical color mean ?
  • Colors used on orphreys, tassels, fringe and such.

(We do need a tongue-in-cheek emoji.)

• Thanks, NT, for your explanation of 'accent'.