Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

AS: More tea, Vicar? - the British thread 2020

PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
edited November 2021 in Limbo
By popular request, the above thread title has been approved.

Happy new year, one and all, and may 2020 be a good one!

For what it's worth, it seems to have started rather well for me: in the middle of the Hogmanay party, I had a message from my estate agent with another offer for Château Piglet, which I accepted this morning.

Prayers that this one doesn't go pear-shaped would be much appreciated!

Comments

• A pear-shaped chateau, eh? Sounds like something from "Cinderella"!

Hope all goes well this time.
  • Though tucked up in Bed, I'll be first on this Thread (well, apart from our esteemed Host, of course, on whom be peace, and may the sale of the chateau proceed smoothly)!

Sort of tucked up, that is - languishing on a virtual Bed of Sickness, anyhoo, with a slight cold, a bit of a Koff, making my voice sound more Phrog-like than usual, and a dull headache which refuses to shift. No, it is NOT Man-Flu (which, as enny fule kno, is fatal...).

Never mind - there's a nice Baked Spud for tea!

Happy New Year, everyone, in spite of all the Darkness That Is To Come...
    :grimace:
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Sorry to hear you're poorly, BF - you need a nice hot WHISKY.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    No, no - I am resolved to eschew Luxury. Cold WHISKY will do...

Oddly enough, there was a time (back in my far-distant Yoof), when I seemed to attract a similar slight disposition at this time of year, for several years running. I guess my immune system was a bit low, as is that of many others at Yule/Winterfest/Sun-Return, but it did get a bit tedious.

This year, I blame B*r*s. And T*u*p.

• I'll be first on this Thread
    Oh no, you won't!

• Curses! Foiled again!
    :grimace:

I agree about the pear-shaped chateau, though - very pantomimish...

(O no it isn't! O yes it is!)
  • Never mind - there's a nice Baked Spud for tea!

I was considering the same!
  • You can't have it! It's MINE....!!

O - I see...
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Like the title of the thread. Great news @Piglet, hope it was a decent offer, the buyer has the funds and gives you time to move promptly, but in not too much of a rush.
    I liked the sound of a baked spud for tea @Bishops Finger - one of my favourite things nut I'm the only one in the family that likes them.
    We tried to get the New Year off to a good start by going to the gym. Our usual place is closed for repairs but we can use another local one in the meantime. Their website assured me they were open, but of course they weren't. Oh well it's the thought that counts.
  • Oddly enough, there was a time (back in my far-distant Yoof), when I seemed to attract a similar slight disposition at this time of year, for several years running. I guess my immune system was a bit low, as is that of many others at Yule/Winterfest/Sun-Return, but it did get a bit tedious.
    My wife has just had three days in bed. She had clearly Picked Something Up. (I blame the Panto, or the very full bus returning home therefrom).

• Oddly enough, there was a time (back in my far-distant Yoof), when I seemed to attract a similar slight disposition at this time of year, for several years running. I guess my immune system was a bit low, as is that of many others at Yule/Winterfest/Sun-Return, but it did get a bit tedious.
    My wife has just had three days in bed. She had clearly Picked Something Up. (I blame the Panto, or the very full bus returning home therefrom).

Sorry to hear it - hope she's soon better. In my case, it usually turned out to be pharyngitis...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharyngitis

On reflection, I think that's what I now have a mild dose of...

Sarasa wrote: »
    Like the title of the thread. Great news @Piglet, hope it was a decent offer, the buyer has the funds and gives you time to move promptly, but in not too much of a rush.
    I liked the sound of a baked spud for tea @Bishops Finger - one of my favourite things nut I'm the only one in the family that likes them.
    We tried to get the New Year off to a good start by going to the gym. Our usual place is closed for repairs but we can use another local one in the meantime. Their website assured me they were open, but of course they weren't. Oh well it's the thought that counts.

You are the only one in your Family who likes BAKED SPUD???????
    :flushed:

O dear. Prayers ascending...
    I love baked spuds, either with a little grated CHEESE, or just plain with loads of butter, salt and black pepper. However, as I predicted, there are several gallons of curry left over from last night, so that'll be our supper sorted. It was a very good curry, although some of the elements surpassed my (very low) spice-heat tolerance!
  • BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Happy New Thread!

Cheers!

(Raises cup of tea ☕️)
  • Ah, but what type of tea?
    Earl Grey, not too strong, milk but no sugar. Thank you.
  • Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    Earl Grey, of course! Is there any other?
    :confused:
    Piglet wrote: »
    I love baked spuds, either with a little grated CHEESE, or just plain with loads of butter, salt and black pepper. However, as I predicted, there are several gallons of curry left over from last night, so that'll be our supper sorted. It was a very good curry, although some of the elements surpassed my (very low) spice-heat tolerance!

The SPUD was duly accompanied by BUTTER, and CHEESE.

I feel better now.

There is a Mars Bar for pudding...and a Norange.

Stuff that for a lark, BF - now I want a Mars bar ... :smiley:
  • They're four (yes! 4!) for a pound in the Co-Op...and I daresay you could find some bargains - perhaps even deep-fried! - in Edinburgh...where they may be possibly 5 for one Euro...
  • Ooooooh.....curry. All the best with the sale of chateau Piglet!

We are just back from a lovely trip out on the local heritage railway line, to coo over steam engines. I am now tucked up in bed with a pint of coffee, with my feet under several layers of the proper wool blanket, and I shall not be moving again until I can feel said feet again. I expect this could take some time....

Happy new year to my fellow tea drinkers!
  • A nice cup of Ceylon here :) I’ve just got back from an afternoon walk; I thought I’d better start the year with some good healthy intentions.

I hope the chateau sale progresses smoothly, Piglet.
    Get well soon to BF and Mrs BT.

We’ve had the usual cheese and biscuits for lunch but my husband is planning a nice baked salmon and veg later. Currently he’s taking the broken down dishwasher to pieces in the hope that he can mend it without ordering a new part - he thinks it is the heater in the pump that’s gone. He’s mended the pump before so he knows what he’s doing.

• BoogieBoogie Heaven Host
    Ah, but what type of tea?

Redbush - taken black ☺️

• O prayers ascending for husband, and his success with the Pump - brave man!

I shall now devour my Mars Bar, and my Norange, which somehow seem to have been overlooked...
  • Good luck Mr Heavenlyannie! Having a husband who can fix stuff is a good thing - MrJt9 has mended a couple of washing machines over the years.
  • la vie en rougela vie en rouge Purgatory Host, Circus Host
    Hurrah! My thread title was accepted! My first success of 2020 😁

FWIW it used to be a catchphrase of Paul Merton's when he'd just said something outrageous. Anyway I am happy to have found a gigantic bag of PG Tips in the Sri Lankan cornerstore recently. Bottoms up.
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    So glad about the thread title. Thank you!

Mr Nen and I went out for coffee this afternoon and have friends coming to a meal this evening so I'm posting from the kitchen at Casa Nen where vegetables and trifle are soon to be prepared. The Navarin of Lamb has been in the slow cooker since this morning. Wine and after dinner chocolates will also be consumed.

After today it is back to the weight loss plan.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear
    But ten extra pounds on hips, thighs and rear...
  • We are just back from a lovely trip out on the local heritage railway line, to coo over steam engines.
    I must not covet my neighbour's heritage railway.
    I must not covet ....

• Boogie wrote: »

Redbush - taken black ☺️

Nooooooo ..... ! (My wife likes it, though).
  • We’ve made our regular New Year’s Day pilgrimage to the (localism) cinema, to see Frozen 2. Darllenwr liked it and found it a bit of an emotional roller coaster, I’m probably a bit more hard bitten and thought it was ok.
  • Piglet wrote: »
    it seems to have started rather well for me: in the middle of the Hogmanay party, I had a message from my estate agent with another offer for Château Piglet, which I accepted this morning.
    Such good news to begin this thread with. I’ll be praying....

I spent today working on a hand-sewn red wincyette cloak so I will be a bit warmer on the way to the Yuletide concert (complete with mummers) that I’ll be in costume for on Friday. Hood almost done, to be sewn to the cloak so tomorrow I’ll be hemming all the way around.

Eating properly will begin when the festive odds and ends (hmm, mostly chocolate and more chocolate) have been finished up.
  • We are just back from a lovely trip out on the local heritage railway line, to coo over steam engines.
    I must not covet ....

Hahahahaha! It is a lovely place. And has heritage busses too, should the fancy take one.
    We’re lucky enough to have a choice of 3 places to go and coo over steam engines, within an hours’ drive.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    Happy New Year everyone! Great thread title @la vie en rouge, ordinary breakfast tea for me, please 😊. Good news for you @Piglet, I’ll be praying for a successful sale and move for you. Get well soon @Bishops Finger and Mrs @Baptist Trainfan and anyone else under the weather. Fingers crossed that 2010 will be much better than expected!
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    Doone wrote: »
    <snip>Fingers crossed that 2010 will be much better than expected!

A bit late for that! I can’t even remember what I expected then. I certainly hope that wish comes true for 2020 though.
  • Kettle is back on, folks, more tea coming shortly.
    I have now thawed out enough to remove my second pair of socks and second jumper.
    I must not covet ....

Hahahahaha! It is a lovely place. And has heritage busses too, should the fancy take one.
    We’re lucky enough to have a choice of 3 places to go and coo over steam engines, within an hours’ drive.

You're just being cruel now!
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host

I think I'll have some Yorkshire tea for starters, please. :)

• Wi' no milk, or sugar.

Or tea.

:wink:
  • We went to the vicarage Christmas bash just before... well, funnily enough, Christmas, and I was delighted to spot that the vicarial teapot wore a vicarial tea-cosy bearing the words "More tea, Vicar?"

AG
  • Wesley JWesley J Circus Host
    BTW, I have some leftover mince pies, should anyone wish to partake. Or else I shall need to have them all myself, which wouldn't be good for my waistline, and a waste of my New Year resolutions! Just saying. :)
  • I’ve got a bit of Christmas cake left. Homemade. Not bad.
    edited January 2020
    Nenya wrote: »
    ... I'm posting from the kitchen at Casa Nen where vegetables and trifle are soon to be prepared ...
    Not, presumably, in the same pot ... :mrgreen:

I love the sound of navarin of lamb though (let's face it, I love the sound of anything of lamb).

The leftover curry (one chicken, one veggie) was v. good, and the liberal application of raita and crème fraîche counteracted the heat nicely.

• JapesJapes Shipmate
    One of my students this year loves making me a hot drink as he's getting his own drink at lunchtime when I'm on duty with him. (Various reasons why he needs supervision at lunchtime and why it's often me on the case.) Alas, he's so not getting the message I don't like tea... just beams at me, and tells me "A nice cup of tea". So, I don't have the heart to do anything but drink it fast then have some of the coffee (I have it already with me in a travel mug) to take away the taste.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Piglet, fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for the sale to proceed smoothly.
  • I've just made and consumed the first espresso of the day,plus a bacon and egg sandwich :grin:
  • I didn't bother getting dressed until late afternoon yesterday...well, I was being used as a warm and comfortable resting place by the Cat who isn't usually over-familiar, she preferring the company of the other 2 cats instead. I didn't want to discourage her....

I hope that the sale of Chateau Piglet proceeds extremely smoothly.

Tea is taken very weak, no milk, no sugar. Coffee wicked strong and with no milk. And I really must stop eating these chocolates. I've already had my breakfast.
    St Everild wrote: »
    ... I really must stop eating these chocolates. I've already had my breakfast.
    But were the chocolates your breakfast? :smiley:

I've just had mine - avocado on toast with a slice of smoked salmon* and a few cherry tomatoes, washed down with orange juice.

* Don't you just love Christmas leftovers?
    My brother and I are heading over to my sister's shortly to help with her kitchen declutterment; I predict a long day ...
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    BroJames wrote: »
    Doone wrote: »
    <snip>Fingers crossed that 2010 will be much better than expected!

A bit late for that! I can’t even remember what I expected then. I certainly hope that wish comes true for 2020 though.

😳 so sorry, blame it on the glass, or 2, of wine. Memo to self for 2020, do not post under the influence 😅!
    It's perfectly acceptable to write the wrong year until at least the beginning of February, but the wrong decade? :mrgreen:
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    I suspect living in the past gets more tempting as I get older and the ‘news’ seems to get worse 😉😂! I might even knock off a few more decades (putting on my rose tinted glasses as I write).
    Not such a daft idea!
  • Hmm. I might go back to the 60s and early 70s.

I was happy in those days.

Then I got married.