Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Heaven: 2021 Proof Americans and Brits speak a different language

Comments

• I agree, RA - perhaps it’s a regional difference - it was certainly car-ney in London when I became aware of it in the 80s.
  • I quite like the way that IKEA (eye-Kee-ah to most Brits) has been calling itself ee-Kay-ah in the more recent adverts, teaching us all how to pronounce it properly.
  • Here (Southern US), “chili” means the dish served in a bowl. It might have meat, might have beans or any number of other things. Opinions can run strong over what should be in it. (Mine has beer and chocolate in it, along with steak and beans.) I rarely if ever hear the dish called “chili con carne.”

If the pepper is meant, then it’s “chili pepper,” though use of a more specific name—bell, jalapeño, cayenne, habanero, etc.—is much more common.

“Pepper” alone usually means black pepper, though it can also mean white, green or another variety.

• Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Beer and chocolate? I need that!
  • I used to cook a dark chocolate risotto, and people swooned over it, not from food poisoning. Oops, going o/t.
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    This comment about dark chocolate risotto needs to go straight to the recipe thread, @quetzalcoatl !!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Wet Kipper wrote: »
    I quite like the way that IKEA (eye-Kee-ah to most Brits) has been calling itself ee-Kay-ah in the more recent adverts, teaching us all how to pronounce it properly.

Or more accurately, trying to teach us that that is how they pronounce it.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    It's "chili con carne:" CHEE-lay cone CAR-nay. It's Spanish. It's pretty basic.
  • chee-lay? not if it's chili. That would be CHEE-lee. You're thinking perhaps of the country Chile.
  • @Priscilla above: with regard to cold hands, I find wrist warmers are really helpful. The company I had mine from - made from recycled cashmere jumpers!

Yes! On cold New England nights I am cold in the house even though others are comfy. I've found that cutting off the uppr part of socks just above the heel makes a pair of nifty wrist warmers and does wonders for making me warm
  • Surprised to hear you think car-ney would sound affected. I've never heard it pronounced any other way since I was first introduced to the dish in the late 70s.
    Yes, I’ve only ever heard ‘car-ney’. ( could be regional, I suppose, I’m SE/London/East Anglia)
  • Robert ArminRobert Armin Shipmate, Glory
    Rossweisse wrote: »
    It's "chili con carne:" CHEE-lay cone CAR-nay. It's Spanish. It's pretty basic.

Over hear I've never heard cone, only ever con. I live and learn.
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    I recognise that it’s Spanish, but the universal pronunciation I have encountered in Britain is chilly con carny.
  • RossweisseRossweisse Hell Host, 8th Day Host, Glory
    Yes, it's "chilly." I got that one wrong. But it's also "car-nay." I got that one right.
  • In the end it probably depends on where you're from. People here say "AY-thens" and "MAD-rid" as well as "BALL-iv-er" (for Athens, Madrid and Bolivar) and that's just the way it is. I got pegged as an outsider the moment I opened my Southern California mouth.
  • Rossweisse wrote: »
    Yes, it's "chilly." I got that one wrong. But it's also "car-nay." I got that one right.

But I've never heard "cone."
  • The things I hear are accents on different syllables. Some of it is quite subtle. Chil-LAY versus CHIL-lay. Also the length of time of the vowels and if the tone is inflected down or up.

With the name of the Canadian prime minister Trudeau it's quite noticeable. Though it can depend if you're in French or English mode.

• mousethief wrote: »

"Con" is pronounced "cone" according to the Spanish speakers who taught me in So. Cal. It may very well be different (either the Spanish OR English pronunciations) elsewhere.

"Con" is pronounced "cone" according to the Spanish speakers who taught me in So. Cal. It may very well be different (either the Spanish OR English pronunciations) elsewhere.

Of course it is. But when people in these parts say "chili con carne" they're not trying to speak Spanish, just name a food.
  • Sure. But when the people I grew up with in Southern California ordered chili con carne, that's the way they said it: "Chillay cone carnay." I expect it comes of being closer to the border, but nobody ever said con in a way that made it rhyme with John or Don. It was "cone", or people would figure you were from out of state.
  • Cone said by one accent is different than another. Dialects and accents be interesting.
  • I've actually decided that it's interesting that we're generically comparing Brits and Americans here. There are plenty of both countries that I simply cannot understand, but both have core areas of dialects that are quite clear. I defy you to compare the incomprehensibility of a Cumbrian accent with one from Georgia, a Yorkshire one versus Alabama. And up here there's Newfoundland, where the dialect also gets a bit hard to understand. The "English" language is very diverse.
  • Golden KeyGolden Key Shipmate, Glory
    LC's pronunciation is the one I know. Growing up elsewhere, I think it was called just "chili" (CHILL-ee).
  • Sure. But when the people I grew up with in Southern California ordered chili con carne, that's the way they said it: "Chillay cone carnay." I expect it comes of being closer to the border, but nobody ever said con in a way that made it rhyme with John or Don. It was "cone", or people would figure you were from out of state.

I am from out of state.
  • I've actually decided that it's interesting that we're generically comparing Brits and Americans here. There are plenty of both countries that I simply cannot understand, but both have core areas of dialects that are quite clear. I defy you to compare the incomprehensibility of a Cumbrian accent with one from Georgia, a Yorkshire one versus Alabama. And up here there's Newfoundland, where the dialect also gets a bit hard to understand. The "English" language is very diverse.

And yet mutually understandable as a written language. Which is why the idea of spelling based on pronunciation is madness.
    Sure. But when the people I grew up with in Southern California ordered chili con carne, that's the way they said it: "Chillay cone carnay." I expect it comes of being closer to the border, but nobody ever said con in a way that made it rhyme with John or Don. It was "cone", or people would figure you were from out of state.

I am from out of state.

Yep. Though if I were up there, it would be me saying it funny, and I would be the one out of state.
    Sure. But when the people I grew up with in Southern California ordered chili con carne, that's the way they said it: "Chillay cone carnay." I expect it comes of being closer to the border, but nobody ever said con in a way that made it rhyme with John or Don. It was "cone", or people would figure you were from out of state.

I am from out of state.

Yep. Though if I were up there, it would be me saying it funny, and I would be the one out of state.

At least some people here would recognize the Spanish pronunciation and assume you spoke Spanish (or were being pretentious).
  • Americans don't value the public sector and don't understand non-commercial public service. Example: Meghan Markle's disdain for her new role as one of the top public servants in the UK. This is demonstrated in her dilemma: How can I make money out of this resource that I have cleverly engineered using my entrepreneurial opportunities (ie getting married) so that I can take personal advantage and live my American dream birthright of selfrealisation?
  • Wow. That’s a pretty massive, and fairly offensive, generalization.

• RuthRuth Shipmate
    Over 300 million of us, all misunderstanding the same thing in the same way. It's kind of impressive that in this highly polarized age we've achieved agreement in this one area.
  • And I said, what about
    Breakfast at Tiffany's?
    She said, I think I
    Remember the film.
    As I recall, we said,
    We both kind of liked it--
    And I said, Well,
    That's one thing we've got.
  • How the hell does Markle Sparkle find her august presence in this thread? Off with his head!
  • And I said, what about
    Breakfast at Tiffany's?
    She said, I think I
    Remember the film.
    As I recall, we said,
    And I said, Well,
    :lol:
  • Gee D wrote: »

But how many times does someone here have to say that it is a standard practice before posts such as yours And Golden Key's (not picking on you, but these are the 2 most recent} accept that is is accepted here and works well?

Indeed. If I were in your beautiful country and enjoying a 'do' I would happily accept the custom, in the same way I would, say, remove my shoes in a Japanese restaurant, or observe any etiquette prevailing in the place I'm eating in! Hence, 'cultural expectations'.

Is it true that some cultures deliberately belch loudly to express satisfaction for their food? Now, I really would struggle with that?!

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Anselmina wrote: »
    Is it true that some cultures deliberately belch loudly to express satisfaction for their food? Now, I really would struggle with that?!

When I was growing up 60 and more years ago, we were told that that was the custom in China, to show that you'd been fed very amply indeed. No idea how true it was then, but on none of the rare and venturesome occasions we visited a Chinese restaurant did we notice it.

Thanks for the rest of your post.
  • And I said, what about
    Breakfast at Tiffany's?
    She said, I think I
    Remember the film.
    As I recall, we said,
    And I said, Well,

Now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day long. Jerk.
  • Gee D wrote: »
    Anselmina wrote: »

When I was growing up 60 and more years ago, we were told that that was the custom in China, to show that you'd been fed very amply indeed. No idea how true it was then, but on none of the rare and venturesome occasions we visited a Chinese restaurant did we notice it.

Thanks for the rest of your post.

When I was growing up (same time frame), we were told it was the custom in Middle Eastern countries. :confused:

• LeafLeaf Shipmate
    Re the chili discussion: I understand that a colloquial name for chili con carne in Texas is "a bowl of red", which always reminds me of Esau in Genesis 25:30 demanding a "bowl of red" (lentil stew, but still.)
  • TrudyTrudy Heaven Host
    @PhilipV , that sweeping generalization is offensive and is entirely inappropriate for Heaven.

Trudy, Heavenly Host
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Pigwidgeon wrote: »

When I was growing up (same time frame), we were told it was the custom in Middle Eastern countries. :confused:

I wonder if it were ever true of some place?

On the chilli line, the usual pronunciation here is along the lines of chilly. conn (to rhyme with Don or John) karnay. Probably not authentic, but waiters etc would know what you were talking about - and that's what matters.
  • KarlLBKarlLB Shipmate
    edited January 2020
    British English speakers seem to have trouble with distinguishing -ay from -ee endings in words like this, so carnee is quite common. I put this down to spelling; the end result of the GVS is that "long e" is almost always "ee" rather than the long e of most other languages using the Latin alphabet, while we do have words where an I carries the "ee" sound.

Most UK speakers pronounce the South American country and the spicy vegetable the same way.
  • MMMMMM Shipmate
    Gee D, that’s how I hear it pronounced here (Southern England), and how I would expect the Spanish to be pronounced (‘con’ pronounced ‘cone’ sounds really odd to me). It’s a while since I learnt Spanish, but still.

I suspect it’s just a matter of different accents. On a recent holiday, I found the accent in Chile really difficult to understand but haven’t had the same difficulties in Argentina or Peru (I’m not pretending my Spanish is that good - perhaps it’s more accurate to say that I found the accent in Chile presented another layer of difficulty).

MMM
  • Just back from a trip across the US border, mainly to see our granddaughter in a school performance of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night that had been partly, but not completely, bowdlerised. After the play her younger brother was falling about himself laughing at the fact that they had used the word 'ass' several times. It was my happy privilege to explain to him that it was simply another word for 'donkey', and that he should feel free to use it whenever he needed to. Our daughter was glad to see us leave.
  • Perhaps she was afraid that you’d let grandson know that tomorrow is the Feast of the Ass. :wink:

• orfeoorfeo Suspended
    Hmm. In my Australian experience, "chill con carne" does not end with any kind of vowel sound whatsoever.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    By the way, does anyone else listen to the language-themed podcast The Allusionist? Both interesting and very fun.

The episode about the very different use of the word "please" in the UK and USA is particularly apt for this thred.
  • orfeo wrote: »
    By the way, does anyone else listen to the language-themed podcast The Allusionist? Both interesting and very fun.

The episode about the very different use of the word "please" in the UK and USA is particularly apt for this thred.

Number?
  • Never mind, found it.
  • orfeoorfeo Suspended
    mousethief wrote: »
    orfeo wrote: »

Number?

It's episode 33, and it is just called "Please".
  • BroJames wrote: »
    Time they switched to LEDs. Save on energy cost of lighting, save on air conditioning.

LED's give off 87.2 degrees F, or 30.6667 C, They do use LED's--actually required, but when you have thousands of them in a building the building stays quite hot.