Ship of Fools: Pfarrei St Franziskus, Frankfurt, Germany

imageShip of Fools: Pfarrei St Franziskus, Frankfurt, Germany

Beauty but also sadness in this ecumenical Corpus Christi celebration

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• ForthviewForthview Shipmate
    Thank you for a wonderful description of an interparochial Corpus Christi celebration. A Lutheran Christian should not feel as an 'outsider' All are welcome,but as Portola said 'the theme of Corpus Christi is not part of my Christian identity'. I am so glad that the 'evangelischer Vikar' was able to take part and more so to participate fully in the Service of the Word.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    In my neck of the woods a non-Catholic/non-receiver-for-any-reason may go up during Eucharist with hands crossed on the chest and receive whatever the priest has to offer. For a while some priests would actually give a blessing, but I understand the hierarchy let everyone know that was verboten. Recently I'd have a hand kindly put on my shoulder with the words "God loves you". Yesterday, the celebrant laid his hand on my head with a smile but no words. I appreciate a church without an open table finding a way to open a path of kindness. I once said as much to Leetle Masha (may Light Perpetual shine upon her) in a PM discussing the antidoron. She agreed that it was the best we could do until we all met at the Heavenly Table.
  • Forbidden to bless? What would Jesus say?
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Since to Roman Catholics the Church is the Body of Christ, I guess, what the Church says Jesus says.

This seems to be the precept that has tightened the rules: "Therefore, absolutely no other person, not even a priest, may add, remove or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority" ("Sacrosanctum Concilium," No. 22).

I believe the fact the liturgy has no provision for hands on shoulders or head or words outside the liturgy still leaves folks like me as the receivers of unapproved gestures. Naughty local clergy! Obviously the correct reception for someone who dares approach the altar uninvited is a cold shoulder.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Lyda wrote: »
    In my neck of the woods a non-Catholic/non-receiver-for-any-reason may go up during Eucharist with hands crossed on the chest and receive whatever the priest has to offer. For a while some priests would actually give a blessing, but I understand the hierarchy let everyone know that was verboten. Recently I'd have a hand kindly put on my shoulder with the words "God loves you". Yesterday, the celebrant laid his hand on my head with a smile but no words. I appreciate a church without an open table finding a way to open a path of kindness. I once said as much to Leetle Masha (may Light Perpetual shine upon her) in a PM discussing the antidoron. She agreed that it was the best we could do until we all met at the Heavenly Table.

Where is your neck of the woods? I'm astonished!
    The report here reminds me of a "Celebration of Matrimony" that we came across in Alsace 25 years ago or so. This was an annual ecumenical "do" where two villagers dressed up as 19th century bride and groom and processed through the village leading everyone to the Evangelical Church to the splendid sound of alphorns. There was a hymn sandwich in church followed by a considerable p*ss up where a fire engines tanks were filled with excellent local beer and an oom-pah band got everyone dancing. This was so important to the village that there was no Mass that day, a sunday, so all the Catholics could join in.
    I believe one of the Kaisers was so fed up with religious disputes that he decreed that there should only be one church building in each village, with the minority community (either protestant or catholic) being given a side chapel for their worship. Albert Schweitzers dad was the minister in such a shared church. He had the main bit.
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Alan29: "Where is your neck of the woods? I'm astonished!"

My neck of the woods is Southern California. You are astonished by... my previously receiving a blessing? My now receiving a not-exactly blessing? My audacity in going up to the priest at all during the distribution of the Eucharist?

The "Celebration of Matrimony" festival sounds like great fun. I do hope the fire tanks served beer and didn't just spray it.
  • Lyda wrote: »
    "Therefore, absolutely no other person, not even a priest, may add, remove or change anything in the liturgy on his own authority" ("Sacrosanctum Concilium," No. 22).
    Oh, Lawk a'mercy! How many RC masses have I been to where the priest regarded the liturgically prescribed texts and rubrics as mere suggestions?
  • LydaLyda Shipmate
    Probably depends on how stuffy the local ordinary is and how much of an eye he keeps on his parishes. The current one in the Diocese of San Bernardino seems aiming to keep up the traditions.
    I don't know about Southern California but here in Scotland and more in other countries of Europe also it is quite common to see people coming up for a blessing at Communion time. Babies and children who have not yet made their first Communion will come to receive a blessing, as well as those who do not wish to/cannot share the eucharistic faith of Catholics
    There is, of course, another argument - all who are present at the liturgy, do receive at the end of the liturgy a formal blessing, so why do we need another one at the moment of Communion ?

Lyda is right that there are no liturgically authorised words for what happens, but that surely does not mean that one cannot show a special interest in and wish to bless a person who presents themselves for what has become a fairly common custom.

Yes ,a priest is certainly not supposed to personalise what is not 'his' liturgy but rather that of the whole Church.

In my experience this ''blessing' is given not only by priests but by whoever is distributing Communion. It can be a word, it can be a light touch, it can be a sign of the cross, anything which indicates that the person is WELCOME within the community, even if that person does not fully share the faith of the community
  • Forthview wrote: »
    All who are present at the liturgy, do receive at the end of the liturgy a formal blessing, so why do we need another one at the moment of Communion?
    One can never receive too many blessings.
  • PortolaPortola Shipmate Posts: 38
    Thanks to all of you for this interesting discussion. As further background information, I can mention that the protestant Vikar, who did not receive a host, did receive a blessing from the presiding priest, who apparently spoke to the Vikar while laying his hand on his head. The Vikar was fully integrated in the service from beginning to end.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Forthview wrote: »

Lyda is right that there are no liturgically authorised words for what happens, but that surely does not mean that one cannot show a special interest in and wish to bless a person who presents themselves for what has become a fairly common custom.

Yes ,a priest is certainly not supposed to personalise what is not 'his' liturgy but rather that of the whole Church.

We go to the local Catholic Church quite frequently, for a mid-week Mass when there's no Anglican service within cooee. We've spoken to the priest and he'd be happy to give us communion, and many parishioners say the same. We don't take though as the priest is such a good one and such a good man also. All it would need is one disgruntled parishioner to complain and where would that end up? So we just go forward, hands crossed to the opposite shoulder and take a blessing. Different if we're up in the Vaucluse or Tirol though.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Forbidden to bless? What would Jesus say?

Don't be bringing Jesus into a discussion about worship.
    To answer Lyda I am shocked that a bishop would stop his priests from blessing people. I find myself wondering what sort of people he thinks are unworthy of Gods blessing.
  • Alan29 wrote: »

Are you serious?
  • john holdingjohn holding Host Emeritus
    Ahem. To repeat, this is a thread about liturgical practice, not about theology. Some recent posts are rather close to the line. Please take note.

John Holding, Host
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Alan29 wrote: »

Are you serious?

Of course not. I was being ironic.
    When it comes to matters of rubrics and law it seems to me that Jesus is often locked out of the room.
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Ahem. To repeat, this is a thread about liturgical practice, not about theology. Some recent posts are rather close to the line. Please take note.

John Holding, Host

I don't see how you can separate the two. Shouldn't one be based on the other?
    Lex orande lex credendi.
    To bring the discussion back to the Celebration of Corpus Christi there are two themes present on that day. Firstly the presence of the Lord in the consecrated elements and secondly the actual procession of faith and witness.

One of the descriptions of the Church is that it is 'the people of God on their way towards eternity' The Corpus Christi procession is a significant reminder of that.

I am talking now about practice and not what is right and/or wrong ,but older Catholics will remember a time when relatively few people would go to sacramental Communion during Mass. This has changed and now in Catholic churches you will often see long lines of people moving towards the front of the church to receive Communion. This also may be interpreted as 'the people of God on their way towards eternity. 'With practically all of the people going to Communion it does make it sometimes difficult (and I appreciate this very much) for those who for one reason or another do not share the fullness of the Catholic Faith to remain in their seats. To my mind it is good that they join the procession moving forward (ultimately one would hope towards the 'eternal banquet in Heaven' and if possible to full communion one day with the Catholic Church)
    It is important that those who are involved in the liturgy recognise the presence of those who are not full communicant members of the Church and show them some sign of welcome.
    I applaud the growing practice of bringing babies and small children to the altar as well as those who for one reason or another are unable to participate in sacramental Communion.
  • Gee D wrote: »
    We go to the local Catholic Church quite frequently, for a mid-week Mass when there's no Anglican service within cooee. We've spoken to the priest and he'd be happy to give us communion, and many parishioners say the same. We don't take though as the priest is such a good one and such a good man also. All it would need is one disgruntled parishioner to complain and where would that end up? So we just go forward, hands crossed to the opposite shoulder and take a blessing. Different if we're up in the Vaucluse or Tirol though.
    There is a large Catholic Church near us that for at least two decades explicitly said as part of the announcements just prior to Mass that Protestants were welcome to receive communion. The last time we went there was around 7 years ago (for a friend’s First Communion), so I can’t vouch that they’re still doing it, but they were doing it then, and they were doing it the first time we went there around 30 years ago (for another friend’s First Communion). I’ve also seen (maybe 3 years ago) one of the priests who used to be at that church (now at another one nearby) receive communion at a funeral in a United Methodist Church.

The church in question is Franciscan. I was told at one point that the bishop raised the issue a number of times, but they kept right on.

• Gee DGee D Shipmate
    The church I'm talking of used be Dominican and the tradition of good preaching carries on. I'd be very doubtful that many Catholic priests here would hold the open table you describe. We went to a funeral a few years ago, the mother of one of our parishioners. The priest's invitation to come forward was to all who felt they could take communion. As our rector and associate were wearing dog collars, they stayed seated but all others from the parish who were present did take. I don't know what that priest's attitude would have been at a normal service, but for the funeral it was spot on.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited July 2019
    Gee D wrote: »
    I'd be very doubtful that many Catholic priests here would hold the open table you describe.
    I doubt many here would either; I’ve certainly never encountered it elsewhere. I’ve always assumed it was the Franciscan influence.

• ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    What a wonderful report! Thank you Portola. I may need to book another visit to Frankfurt, on Corpus Christi, to experience this. And perhaps see if the Alsacian Celebration of Matrimony is still going on. Such joy in their festivals.
  • PortolaPortola Shipmate Posts: 38
    The Parish of St. Francis (Pfarrei St. Franziskus) posted some photos of the Corpus Christi service on their website. Here is the link:
    https://franziskus-frankfurt.de/index/berichte/articles/fronleichnam-2019.html
  • ClimacusClimacus Shipmate
    Thank you Portola; makes me want to go all the more.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Gee D wrote: »
    I'd be very doubtful that many Catholic priests here would hold the open table you describe.
    I doubt many here would either; I’ve certainly never encountered it elsewhere. I’ve always assumed it was the Franciscan influence.

Another Shipmate and I attendedMass at Franciscan Priory on Oxford Street in Sydney Neither of us went forward. We were told later that all would have been well. My companion apparently knew some of the same people as the priest in another state but I don’t think that was a reason we would have been served as the priest did not know that till later.

It depends completely on what you mean by the words 'all would have been well'
    There is usually no bar on people coming forward to receive Communion. It should be assumed that they are aware of the usual practices of the Catholic church. If a person is sure that he or she shares completely the faith of Catholics , particularly those articles of faith to do with the eucharist. and if that person is not aware of being in a sinful state and if although being baptised they are not formally a member of the Catholic community but cannot find a celebration of the eucharist being held within the community of which they consider themselves members, then on their own responsibility they might wish to go forward.

A Catholic priest celebrating the eucharist or a lay minister distributing the eucharist is not the judge as to who should come forward and should not refuse anyone who comes forward

On the other hand a person Catholic or Christian or of any other or no religion who happens to be in a church at the time of distribution of Communion should not just come forward because others are doing so or because that person just wishes to do so even although they are dismissive about what the eucharist means to Catholics.
  • Your first paragraph encompasses many areas. I think, looking back, it was some years ago, we were mindful that the priest could be in strife had he served us. We did not want to put him in that position.
    It is the job of the priest to explain what the teaching of the Church is on the eucharist.
    It is good that both Catholics and non-Catholics understand these teachings within the limits of the possible.
  • Interesting MW report and the comments make we want to visit Alsace ...

I've been offered communion by Jesuits but did not partake as I knew we'd both be breaking the rules. It does grieve me and, like Leetle Masha of blessed memory, I do think the antidoran is a good thing.

I tend to adopt a 'when in Rome' principle so wouldn't partake of RC communion elements I don't think, unless the rules changed.