Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: !Audacious Church, Deva City Office Park, Salford, Greater Manchester, England

imageShip of Fools: !Audacious Church, Deva City Office Park, Salford, Greater Manchester, England

Focus on Jesus and be happy-clappy – and give money!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Gary2Gary2 Shipmate Posts: 10
    sounds pricey
  • The church's own coffee-shop sounds OK, if prices are actually lower than elsewhere in the city.

Like the MWer, however, I would jib at the emphasis on money during the service, but it may be that the congregation generally is fairly affluent. Note, however, that the church is reported as being involved with the city's homeless.
  • The church's own coffee-shop sounds OK, if prices are actually lower than elsewhere in the city.
    I don’t know—the idea of a church charging for after-service coffee sounds very, very odd to me.

• In the days when we could have after-service tea and coffee together (remember them?) St Sanity had a small bowl on the counter where you could leave a coin or 2. Not compulsory and no-one checked to see if you left anything. The money went to the group which organised it, to cover the cost involved.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited September 2021
    Gee D wrote: »
    In the days when we could have after-service tea and coffee together (remember them?) St Sanity had a small bowl on the counter where you could leave a coin or 2. Not compulsory and no-one checked to see if you left anything. The money went to the group which organised it, to cover the cost involved.
    Yes, I’ve encountered that too, and that I can see. That’s not charging for the coffee, it’s accepting donations to help with the provision of coffee.

But in my experience, at most places around here after service coffee—or at our place, before Sunday school coffee, between Sunday School and service coffee, and after service coffee—is simply provided as a matter of hospitality.

Meanwhile, I’m struggling with a church called “Audacious,” and with that exclamation point before “Audacious.” Both of those things would make me hesitant to walk through the doors to start with.

• SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    What was in the gift bag? Enquiring minds need to know.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    The church's own coffee-shop sounds OK, if prices are actually lower than elsewhere in the city.
    I don’t know—the idea of a church charging for after-service coffee sounds very, very odd to me.

I agree, but I simply meant that the coffee-shop wasn't too pricey, if prices were lower than in the city.

As @Gee D says, a bowl for donations is much more common, certainly here in England.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Meanwhile, I’m struggling with a church called “Audacious,” and with that exclamation point before “Audacious.” Both of those things would make me hesitant to walk through the doors to start with.

Spot on. I wonder what message they intend by the name.
  • I thought the idea might be that the ! doubles up as an L, thus making the word *Laudacious* - meaning (I suppose) something to do with *praising*...but which is at the same time *showing a willingness to take surprisingly bold risks*.

No, I have no real clue, either.
  • They were probably aiming for "!Bodacious!" and chickened out at the last minute
  • HelenEva wrote: »
    They were probably aiming for "!Bodacious!" and chickened out at the last minute

What a shame!
    :wink:
    Spike wrote: »
    What was in the gift bag? Enquiring minds need to know.

I've noticed before that churches of this ilk often offer a goodie bag. It's a nice idea, I suppose, but hardly (in itself) likely to lead to full commitment to the Christian life...