Ship of Fools: Saint Michael and All Angels, Brighton, England

imageShip of Fools: Saint Michael and All Angels, Brighton, England

Building stuns; singing disappoints; coffee rejuvenates

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Roman Catholics dont like singing hymns in my experience and Anglo-Cs like it even less. I think they feel it is too, well....... Protestant an activity. This seems a shame since many entries in the hymnal are solid theologically for Catholics and those that arent are (mostly) not actually heretical.
  • Oh Miss Amanda, so sorry to perturb you....

Anyway, to anchor this in real time and non-virtual place: down on the south coast at St Mike's they programmed no fewer than four hymns and the congregation was found by the MW to be "reluctant" singers. Worse for all, our MW found the sound they made was "a bit weak, sadly" in a service that otherwise greatly impressed. I conclude the good people of St Mikes must be trying to tell their incumbent something.
  • Box Pew wrote: »
    Roman Catholics dont like singing hymns in my experience and Anglo-Cs like it even less. I think they feel it is too, well....... Protestant an activity. This seems a shame since many entries in the hymnal are solid theologically for Catholics and those that arent are (mostly) not actually heretical.

I think for A-Cs, singing can often be seen as something primarily done by the choir.
  • Box Pew wrote: »
    Oh Miss Amanda, so sorry to perturb you....

Miss Amanda thought better of her rather stern admonition and deleted it. Let's not let this thread stray too far, though, into a general discussion of hymn singing, or the lack thereof, by Catholics of whatever persuasion. That belongs in Ecclesiantics if anywhere.

@Amanda B Reckondwyth
    Lead Editor, Mystery Worship
  • Pomona wrote: »
    Box Pew wrote: »
    Roman Catholics dont like singing hymns in my experience and Anglo-Cs like it even less. I think they feel it is too, well....... Protestant an activity. This seems a shame since many entries in the hymnal are solid theologically for Catholics and those that arent are (mostly) not actually heretical.

I think for A-Cs, singing can often be seen as something primarily done by the choir.

Not always.

Our Place has no choir, but singing is (usually) quite robust. Our building is similar in size to the church MWed, although our usual Sunday congregation in these days of plague is nearer 20 than 30. Pre-plague, it was approaching 40 :disappointed: )

Perhaps the better singers at St Michael's were Away on the day of the Report? Our experience is that the same congregation doesn't turn up each Sunday IYSWIM!