Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: Mountain View Presbyterian, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

imageShip of Fools: Mountain View Presbyterian, Scottsdale, Arizona, USA

Quiet dignity – but applause too!

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• This service seems to be recorded and available online at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5neYVUKJUeU

The instrumental beforehand started with an arrangement of "God so loved the world" from Stainer's "Crucifixion".
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    edited November 2021
    FWIW, the full/formal name of the denomination is actually “ECO: A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians,” not “Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians.” For a “shorthand,” they use “ECO.” From the denomination’s website:
    The name ECO is not an acronym. It reinforces our passion for strengthening the ecosystems of local churches. We believe that the Church is a living organism that needs life-giving resources to help it grow, thrive, and multiply. ECO is committed to cultivating a healthy, diverse, resource-rich ecosystem where pastors and congregations can flourish.

Also fwiw, Mountain View Presbyterian Church was organized as a congregation of the Presbytery of Grand Canyon in the late 1970s. The presbytery dismissed the congregation from the PC(USA) to ECO in 2017. I could be quite wrong, but I think almost all of ECO’s 350+ churches are churches that left the PC(USA), rather than being new churches started by existing ECO churches or presbyteries. Not that they aren’t likely to start new congregations; I just don’t think there’s been much of that so far, as the denomination isn’t yet 10 years old.

• Of course ECO is an acronym inasmuch as it comprises the first letter of each of the words Evangelical, Covenant, and Order. There is one other church of that denomination, also in the Phoenix area, that was MWd, also by me.

But lest we allow pedantry to sidetrack us, I've changed the name in the Denominations table of the software.
  • Of course ECO is an acronym inasmuch as it comprises the first letter of each of the words Evangelical, Covenant, and Order.
    While I don’t disagree with Miss Amanda or her reasoning, I was just passing along ECO’s official line on the subject, as I said, for what it might be worth.

• Yes, I know. They have the right to say whatever they please.