Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Ship of Fools: St Thomas, Battle Creek, Michigan, USA

imageShip of Fools: St Thomas, Battle Creek, Michigan, USA

Embrace one another not physically, but with the heart

Read the full Mystery Worshipper report here

Comments

• Splendid indeed! And high up the candle too. Nosebleed high. For a moment I thought that maybe some of them jumped from the Thames to the Tiber, or in this case directly across E Van Buren Street to St Phillp’s RC church. Although maybe a little too high even for most Catholics today. Not this one.
  • I wonder if the thurifer kept her distance so that she didn't overcome the liturgical deacon with the smoke?
    :wink:
  • Maybe. Perhaps someone in the Altar Party has asthma. My question is why the Rose Vestments? Is that a file photo from a past Laetare or Guadete Sunday?
  • edited November 2021
    The photo is a frame from the live video feed of the service on Facebook. They look like a light purple to me. I think rose vestments would be "rosier." I think the woman in the congregation to the right is wearing a rose colored sweater.
  • Splendid indeed! And high up the candle too. Nosebleed high. For a moment I thought that maybe some of them jumped from the Thames to the Tiber, or in this case directly across E Van Buren Street to St Phillp’s RC church. Although maybe a little too high even for most Catholics today. Not this one.

Nosebleed high? Not with a female thurifer😂🙀

• The photo is a frame from the live video feed of the service on Facebook. They look like a light purple to me. I think rose vestments would be "rosier." I think the woman in the congregation to the right is wearing a rose colored sweater.

Yes, I see them, too, as a lightish purple. The altar frontal appears to match the vestments, which is, of course, a Good Thing.
  • Lightish purple it is. And a ‘Good Thing’ it is. Would even be better if it were Advent. Re: Nosebleed high?/ Female thurifer?In a church that ordains women and openly gay bishops, (I applaud both) I hardly think the poor lass is going to ruffle any feathers.

• Perhaps they use the same vestments for Advent, too?

• I see that the service was billed as a 'Pandemic Requiem Mass'
    Is purple not one of the colours appropriate in the roman rite for a Requiem ?
  • Perhaps they use the same vestments for Advent, too?
    I can’t say about the nosebleed-high Anglo-Catholic Episcopal parishes, as they are quite rare in these parts, but most if not all Episcopal churches around here seem to use blue during Advent rather than violet/purple.

• O - blue is thought to have been the colour for Advent in pre-Reformation England. I wonder if St Thomas has a set of blue vestments as well?

Our Place has a single blue chasuble (no matching dalmatic or tunicle) which used to come out occasionally on weekdays during Advent. It is now, however, in need of quite a lot of TLC - we think it may well be as old as the church (built 1908), or even older.

The idea of a *Pandemic Requiem Mass* is a good one. I haven't heard of any being held in England, though doubtless some churches have done so.