Let’s Talk About Anything Else: the USA thread 2024

Well, 2024 is here, and I’m guessing that from time to time, the Americans on the Ship will need to talk about anything but elections.

Comments

• Bishops FingerBishops Finger Shipmate
    edited January 1
    Indeed yes, so may I commend to US and UK (and anywhere else) Shipmates, the finest trad jazz band in the whole world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipbMwr-a9Eg

With people like these in the US, there is hope...and, although the video is from quite a few years ago, the band is still going strong!
  • Ah, the Big Easy. We went there for our honeymoon—wonderful food, wonderful music. We need to go back.

• Oh, thanks be to God. The perfect thread title.
  • I thought you might appreciate it. :wink:
  • NenyaNenya All Saints Host, Ecclesiantics & MW Host
    edited January 1
    Love the thread title! *applauds* :grin:

ETA: I've closed the 2023 USA thread.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Ah, the Big Easy. We went there for our honeymoon—wonderful food, wonderful music. We need to go back.

So did we. 58 years later I still have the glasses from our Hurricane Cocktail.
  • Nick Tamen wrote: »
    Ah, the Big Easy. We went there for our honeymoon—wonderful food, wonderful music. We need to go back.

So did we. 58 years later I still have the glasses from our Hurricane Cocktail.
    For you, @Graven Image: “Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans” (Louis Armstrong)

(My mother-in-law was born in New Orleans, but the family soon moved, and she grew up in Miami, which at 93 she still pronounces “my-AM-uh.”)

• Thanks, Nick Tamen. Small world.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    Brilliant, brilliant thread title, @Nick Tamen . And thanks for the lovely NOLA video. Happy New Year, everybody!
  • Gramps49Gramps49 Shipmate
    edited January 2
    January 2, 2024. Still no show around here. The radar tells me there are two major storms coming in from the Pacific over the next 10 days. We need the snow; but, please, not on the roads.
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    We've been having some lovely rains!! After running a substantial deficit this past rainy season, I'm particularly grateful for the unusual winter rains we've been having!

The city directly south of me was over two feet shy of the rain they should have gotten. This is a huge blessing!
  • I’m glad they’re helpful rains where you are, @jedijudy. Here, they’ve been storms, with really heavy—as in flash-flood-causing—rains and really heavy wind.

Is anyone here affected by the major snow storms in the Midwest? @Lamb Chopped, have they been a problem in St. Louis? Or where Little Lamb is in school?

• St. Louis, being in the middle of everything and belonging to nothing, means that we get the edge of everybody else's weather; which today means a sprinkling of rain and snow. I sort of like it, we rarely get the heavy stuff.

LL, though... well, he's in Minnesota, and has snow more or less always (it seems!), and is moving dorm rooms RIGHT NOW in zero degree temps. Because if he waits for a day or two longer, it'll be in the negatives. Poor kid.

Now inside, it's lovely. For some odd reason I’ve got tropical hibiscus and plumeria both in bloom inside the house over my desk (the plants are eight feet tall in pots brought in for the winter). Wasn’t expecting to get a plumeria blossom dropping on my keyboard, but so it is...
  • PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    I can sympathise with LL - both when we moved into our house in Fredericton (in March) and after David died when I moved out of the same house to move back to Scotland (in January) there was a considerable depth of snow to be negotiated!
    This weekend we have seen the coldest temperatures in some time. It was -12F here this morning. Not much snow, though. Three inches.

Last week, my two sons and two friends drove cars from Wisconsin, though Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and Washington just has the Artic Air came roaring down through Canada (in the plain states, it is said the only thing stopping Artic weather is a fence at the Canadian border, and it is down). They actually made it to Tacoma a day earlier than they had planned. It was bitter cold in Montana. Some snow, but the roads were relatively clear.
  • Holy hell, bad storm. My storage shed just blew over, the srub broke, and other trees whipped about. I am hoping my palms are light enough to bend but not break. The poor dog I am sure has to pee but will not go out and is hiding under the chair.
    Crikey - stay safe! 😳
  • Praying, @Graven Image!
  • NicoleMRNicoleMR Shipmate
    Oooh... stay warm and dry! Good luck!
  • Thanks, We made it through the storm with little damage. Unfortunately, others were not so lucky. The roof came off of the town Presbyterian Church. Some of my neighbors also had extensive damage. Some roads around the city are still closed by fallen trees. Thankfully our power has stayed on. I am blessed to stay warm and dry. I cleaned up the patio this morning and my son will come to help me right the storage shed and cut off the broken branches. I am blessed.
  • Oh no, a tree just fell on my good friend's house and destroyed it. They are homeless I am crying.
  • Oh no, @Graven Image! I’m glad you haven’t sustained too much damage, but it’s horrible when friends and neighbors are suffering.

O my goodness, GI - prayers ascending for your friends!
  • Oh, I am so sorry to hear that.
  • MamacitaMamacita Shipmate
    Oh no, @Graven Image - that's so sad to hear. I'm glad you came through relatively unscathed.
    I'm so sorry for your friends, I hope things work out for them.
  • Oh Graven Image, that is awful news. I do hope that they can find new interim accommodation.

In our state of Queensland there have been flash floods and some people's homes have flooded (again) after them only just having returned home from previous floods. So much wild weather in many places
  • Alan29Alan29 Shipmate
    Indeed yes, so may I commend to US and UK (and anywhere else) Shipmates, the finest trad jazz band in the whole world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipbMwr-a9Eg

With people like these in the US, there is hope...and, although the video is from quite a few years ago, the band is still going strong!

They are excellent!
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    So sorry to hear about your friends @Graven Image.
  • Weeee! My work is closed tomorrow in anticipation of inclement weather! Snow Day!
  • It's a snow day in CT as well. My daughter just sent me a video of her 3 y.o. building a snowman, while big flakes keep falling around him.
  • The_RivThe_Riv Shipmate
    I remember being in NYC for a conference when a Nor'easter arrived the morning we were leaving. If memory serves I was on the last regularly scheduled Delta flight out of Laguardia that day. I remember being sorry about that. Would have loved being stranded in the city for another day or two.
  • CaissaCaissa Shipmate
    The weather in CT is on a direct path to hit Nova Scotia. They have been taking the brunt of the snow in Atlantic Canada this year.
    Our daughter is scheduled to travel to CT next week -- hope all of this is cleaned up by then!
  • jedijudyjedijudy Heaven Host
    I have a story for y'all. Hopefully you'll find it as funny as I do! Well, I didn't think it was funny at first, but now it is!

I've been going to the same heart doc for at least ten or fifteen years. Benign conditions!! Nothing to worry about! However, the new, younger cardiologist put me on new meds about six months ago and I went to the follow-up a week or so ago.

At the follow-up, the tech asked me if I had a pharmacy, which is surprising since they've been sending my scripts to the same pharmacy all these years. So, she inputted the info: P at V.

Cardiologist wanted to double my dose, so said he'd send the script to my pharmacy. After not hearing anything for a week, I went in and asked the pharmacist if the new script had come in. He said it hadn't. He looked at his computer with a puzzled look on his face and asked if I go to a different P. I said no. He called the doctor's office, with more puzzled looks, then dove deeper into computer land and came back to talk to me. The prescription was sent to V, but in China!!

Who in their right mind sends a local prescription to China??? I assume this person still gets a paycheck!!
    :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:
    My pharmacy lately has been screwing my prescriptions up too. First I get a double refill of medicine T. I tell them I do not need the second refill, and tell them to put it back on the shelf. I told them three times I did not need any more T. I get a SMS message warning me if I did not pick up the T by tomorrow, it will be cancelled. I called the pharmacy and spoke with the lead pharmacist. She saw how it got messed up.

While on the phone she mentioned I had a refill available for F. I think in this case it is because of a change order sent in by another physician reducing the need for F. Just got a message reminding me it is available. Aaargh.

On top of this, my primary physician and I agreed to increase my dosage of M, I did not hear from the pharmacy it had been filled. I went in to ask about it. They only had the original order and filled that one. This particular medication is a tier II medicine, meaning I have a higher copay for it. I told them I did not want the lower dosage, to put it back on the shelf. I waited another week. Still no response. I went back in. Turns out the physician's assistant had sent in a revised order,, but it sounded as if I would have to take the lower dose twice a week. The way the increased order was written seemed confusing to the on-staff pharmacist. I tried to explain what it meant to me, but he would not listen. After all, who am I but a layman--and a drug seeking person at that. Note: M is not a narcotic. While it was still the lower dosage, I ended up picking it up.

But, now the new dosage is in and ready. I have to pick it up by tomorrow. And pay the double co pay again this month.

You may ask why I am staying with this pharmacy. Well, up until these past three months, they have been consistent, and they are competing against three large chain pharmacies in town. I want to remain loyal to them as long as possible.

On top of this, yesterday, I went in for a cortisone epidural for a chronic back ache which started twenty years ago. I have been able to control it with this epidural about once every three months. But now my spine is so scared, it is no longer possible to complete the procedure. The clinic I go to is a teaching clinic, so I often have a resident in training do the injection. The resident assigned to me tried three times to place injection in the target area but could not complete it, so the attending physician took over and completed it through another path. At the end of the procedure, the attending physician recommended I look at different procedure for further treatment. But he did not know any surgeon in the area who is trained for it. Sounds like I may have to go to Seattle or other metropolitian area for follow on work.

Needless to say, I could hardly walk after the procedure. It is a type of procedure where many people ask for sedation. I have usually do it with a local. I wish I had done the sedation yesterday, though. I am glad Mrs Gramps came with me. I know I could not have driven the 76 miles home.

Oh, the horrors of modern medicine.

On the good side, medicine M is for type two diabetes. My blood sugar is now 99, down from the usual 150, and I have dropped 25 lbs. Target is at least another 45 lbs.

As they say, there is a cloud for every silver lining,

• Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    @jedijudy, :lol: :lol:

And well done on the blood sugar and weight, @Gramps49!

• Amen!
    Thank you, @Nick Tamen and @Lamb Chopped
    Today I had a pre-retirement consultation with my pension people, in order to ask questions about anything. I asked a few, got good answers, and am ready to start the next step, which is the big one, filling out and filing the paperwork.
    Hop in, the water's good.
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Yep! Best gig I’ve ever had.

Go for it, Nicole, and health to enjoy it!
    edited March 4
    Lot of weather weirding these days. All through winter, we had very little snow. Now it seems every day we are waking up to some snow. But this is not like what they are experiencing in California, Colorado or even Southern Idaho. In the meantime, it is in the 70s in Michigan.

I guess it is March being March. If it comes in like a Lion, hopefully it will go out like a lamb. Of course. if it is 70 in Michigan now, March will go out like a lion.
    One thing that I haven't seen/heard much about is whether or not all of the precipitation in the west via the atmospheric river will alleviate any stress on the Colorado river in the near term. I've seen a bit about reservoir levels rising, and depleted lakes refilling, but I've wondered about the Colorado river.
    Paperwork filled out and submitted, have to upload some documents still. Have requested a retirement meeting with my HR people.
    Not envious, Nicole ... not envious at all ... :mrgreen:
    That's HUGE, @NicoleMR! Good luck!
    Retirement paperwork completed, just need to submit the last bit to my HR department, then wait out the last days.

Meanwhile I just registered and paid for my 40th college reunion weekend, which is shortly after I retire. Very expensive (the weekend is two formal dinners, two brunches, rental of academic garb for the procession, and two nights in a dorm room) but I guess it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    I think its a good idea to have something a bit out of the way to look forward to soon after retirement. I went to a very posh country pub that did up market B&B for the weekend while I started to adjust to not having to be in work anymore. However as they always say happens after retirement I'm now actually busier that ever.