I had a very odd dream last night. I still had my motorcycle (which is a recurring theme in my dreams) and was riding home from church, when I got caught in a traffic jam. To pass the time while we were all stuck, someone was showing movies on a makeshift screen, and everyone was in a rather festive mood. But the police raided it, and we all had to disperse.
I was being received into the Catholic Church last night - which involved being asked a few questions by a nice lady. What they were I never found out, as I lost the way to her office. Nevertheless we were ascending church steps as she confided her doubts about the theology of young priests these days.
Interestingly I had a phone call today from my brother in Ireland who, after 50 years of church avoidance, has signed up for an Alpha course.
I'm encouraged by that. My (Anglican vicar) bro-in-law mentioned yesterday some guy recently on his alpha course who attended a different, high, church, and had been in the choir there for many years because that was his culture, but had kind-of avoided the faith (this was in a conversation about how anyone can bear to be part of church, if they don't have faith / external grace to sustain them in that endeavour.) That guy found a personal faith. I hope it works out for your brother.
My dreams are full of forgetfulness; not knowing where I am, how I got there, or (last night) if I took a coat (and therefore had lost it) or a pushbike (and if therefore it had been nicked). I thought I had been speaking to a class in a lecture theatre, but at the end it turned into a park and as the class dismissed in the twilight a stolen car ploughed through the remains of the chairs and tables and I decided I better go. Answers to the coat and bike conundrum were yes and yes, but on finding those items it was clear I must have been wandering around looking for them for many years. I don't know if my Dad's forgetfulness is playing on my mind; who knows, with dreams.
My family has been visiting a great-aunt (my maternal grandmother's sister) who has never really liked my mother but lately has tried to make amends. (True in real life, although the great-aunt has been dead for years.)
It is at the end of our visit, and we are packing our bags. We are taking great care to ensure that we are packing only our own belongings, not any of my great-aunt, and that we are not damaging any of her belongings in the process. But it seems that we have much, much more to pack than what we had arrived with.
Last night I was stepping into a map to explore a ruined hotel - the sort of hotel that has lots of separate chalets, which were overgrown with trees and bushes. Up on the hillside above the chalets, a girl was riding a bear, while brandishing a burning branch. I'm sure there was a complicated plot in which I was looking for something important, but the details vanished pretty much instantly as I woke up.
Last night I was stepping into a map to explore a ruined hotel - the sort of hotel that has lots of separate chalets, which were overgrown with trees and bushes. Up on the hillside above the chalets, a girl was riding a bear, while brandishing a burning branch. I'm sure there was a complicated plot in which I was looking for something important, but the details vanished pretty much instantly as I woke up.
Looks like you have stumbled upon the plot of a fantasy game, a variant of Dungeons and Dragons.
You may be right, @sionisais ! Now I think about it, I have visited that dreamscape before - there was a chapel up the hill which was also being used as a village hall, and they were raising funds to renovate it!!!
My family has been visiting a great-aunt (my maternal grandmother's sister) who has never really liked my mother but lately has tried to make amends. (True in real life, although the great-aunt has been dead for years.)
It is at the end of our visit, and we are packing our bags. We are taking great care to ensure that we are packing only our own belongings, not any of my great-aunt, and that we are not damaging any of her belongings in the process. But it seems that we have much, much more to pack than what we had arrived with.
Dealing with Great Aunt's baggage?
I am always surprised at how often idiom turns up pictorially in my dreams. In one a long time ago (dealing with a very long term, frustrating project) I was beating my head against a wall. In case my conscious mind needed things making more obvious, my subconscious further signalled its (his?) distress by making it the wall of a classroom I inhabited age about 12, at a school where I felt well out of my depth. The distress level was insufficient, so subconscious me equipped it with a spike.
Yes, I remember a dream about visiting my parents (we uh, didn't get on well). The bedroom I was staying in was equipped with a Moloch-style fireplace,suitable for the burning of one's children.
Another one--I remember a dream where I was listening to the Lord trying to teach me stuff (mostly negative, to be honest) about my life. I got sick of it and put an end to it. How? By taking the "chalk" right out of his hands. Class over!
My family turned out in force last night. I was trying to serve a Christmas dinner from a small, insufficient chicken. My grandmother wouldn't leave her room and when she did, complained about her seat at table. My father had already eaten his portion. My younger brother was swaggering about. I was trying to supplement the meagre chicken with stuffing which was a red jelly.
Yes, I remember a dream about visiting my parents (we uh, didn't get on well). The bedroom I was staying in was equipped with a Moloch-style fireplace,suitable for the burning of one's children.
Oh, goodness. I didn't know what that was, and now I do.
Thanks, though. That's back-story (surrounding cultural practice?) to Abraham and Isaac I suppose, which I ought to have known about.
A few nights ago I had a very detailed dream which included showing a student how to search Greek words in a concordance on the Biblehub website. She was thinking of writing an essay on growth in John’s gospel, which I didn’t think would work that well, but tried to redirect her more towards the theme of gardens and fruitfulness. I actually remember searching “karpon” on my phone!
There were also a lot of staircases involved (physical ones, not Greek words) but I can’t remember how.
Yes, I remember a dream about visiting my parents (we uh, didn't get on well). The bedroom I was staying in was equipped with a Moloch-style fireplace,suitable for the burning of one's children.
Oh, goodness. I didn't know what that was, and now I do.
Thanks, though. That's back-story (surrounding cultural practice?) to Abraham and Isaac I suppose, which I ought to have known about.
Heh. I'm sorry for inflicting that on you!
It's not actually Abraham etc. but rather the people of the promised land (the Amorites, Hittites, Girgashites, and all that) who were practicing the most horrific kind of idolatry, including child sacrifice, and therefore the Lord did his best to keep Israel from picking up that stuff. Not that he succeeded, more's the pity. I think it was King Manasseh who did this--one of Jesus' own ancestors! Horrifying.
This morning, I dreamed of the cricket match I am playing in later today. It was getting later and later and I needed to get an item fir tea, but it was in the groundsman's hut on the other side of the ground, and I needed to find a cakeslice first.
By the time I'd found the cakeslice and gone outside to get whatever it was (despite the cakeslice, I have no recollction of what it was) it was dark and foggy, and I met the players coming off as I crossed the ground. I decided I'd do a video to show how dark it was... and that's when I woke up.
I was putting off going to school - that's a recurrent motif - instead I was in a salon with other young women, applying vampire makeup, white foundation with the cheekbones emphasised in grey, dabs of yellow and green on forehead and chin. And bright green streaks in the hair. Then there was the problem of getting back into the house without my mother seeing me,
There was a load of other stuff, but that's what I remember.
Once I woke up because I was convinced that my husband had shouted up the stairs to me - but the phrase was "Puffin of my paradise!" and he swore he never said a word!
You need to change your shipname to Puffin! Thanks for sharing this, I needed cheering up this morning.
Last night's dream has given me an earworm! I was sat somewhere wot friends listening to music - either a radio, or a DJ in the room was announcing tracks as they went. The next track was 1916. I was trying to work out if it was the Motörhead original or the Sabaton cover, when someone said it was Boy George. At that point I woke up, but the lyrics have stuck in my brain again...
Another recurring dream of mine is falling asleep in a movie theater. When I wake up, I realize that my sleeping posture in the theater seat mimicked my sleeping posture in bed. I had that dream again last night.
Had my "train" recurring dream last night. Although there was no one on the station platform when I arrived, as soon as the train pulled in the platform was suddenly crowded. The train was likewise crowded -- people standing in the aisle in every car. I saw someone whom I vaguely recognized, although he seemed to know me well. He told me there were empty seats down further in the car, and sure enough, there were. We both sat down, and I was looking forward to having a long conversation with him -- but then I woke up!
Last night I dreamt I was late in for an Alternative Worship service in Loughborough and hunting for a space to sit. All very confused with visiting religious communities, waiting for someone and children participating.
Comments
I'm encouraged by that. My (Anglican vicar) bro-in-law mentioned yesterday some guy recently on his alpha course who attended a different, high, church, and had been in the choir there for many years because that was his culture, but had kind-of avoided the faith (this was in a conversation about how anyone can bear to be part of church, if they don't have faith / external grace to sustain them in that endeavour.) That guy found a personal faith. I hope it works out for your brother.
My dreams are full of forgetfulness; not knowing where I am, how I got there, or (last night) if I took a coat (and therefore had lost it) or a pushbike (and if therefore it had been nicked). I thought I had been speaking to a class in a lecture theatre, but at the end it turned into a park and as the class dismissed in the twilight a stolen car ploughed through the remains of the chairs and tables and I decided I better go. Answers to the coat and bike conundrum were yes and yes, but on finding those items it was clear I must have been wandering around looking for them for many years. I don't know if my Dad's forgetfulness is playing on my mind; who knows, with dreams.
My family has been visiting a great-aunt (my maternal grandmother's sister) who has never really liked my mother but lately has tried to make amends. (True in real life, although the great-aunt has been dead for years.)
It is at the end of our visit, and we are packing our bags. We are taking great care to ensure that we are packing only our own belongings, not any of my great-aunt, and that we are not damaging any of her belongings in the process. But it seems that we have much, much more to pack than what we had arrived with.
Looks like you have stumbled upon the plot of a fantasy game, a variant of Dungeons and Dragons.
Dealing with Great Aunt's baggage?
I am always surprised at how often idiom turns up pictorially in my dreams. In one a long time ago (dealing with a very long term, frustrating project) I was beating my head against a wall. In case my conscious mind needed things making more obvious, my subconscious further signalled its (his?) distress by making it the wall of a classroom I inhabited age about 12, at a school where I felt well out of my depth. The distress level was insufficient, so subconscious me equipped it with a spike.
Oh, goodness. I didn't know what that was, and now I do.
Thanks, though. That's back-story (surrounding cultural practice?) to Abraham and Isaac I suppose, which I ought to have known about.
There were also a lot of staircases involved (physical ones, not Greek words) but I can’t remember how.
Heh. I'm sorry for inflicting that on you!
It's not actually Abraham etc. but rather the people of the promised land (the Amorites, Hittites, Girgashites, and all that) who were practicing the most horrific kind of idolatry, including child sacrifice, and therefore the Lord did his best to keep Israel from picking up that stuff. Not that he succeeded, more's the pity. I think it was King Manasseh who did this--one of Jesus' own ancestors! Horrifying.
By the time I'd found the cakeslice and gone outside to get whatever it was (despite the cakeslice, I have no recollction of what it was) it was dark and foggy, and I met the players coming off as I crossed the ground. I decided I'd do a video to show how dark it was... and that's when I woke up.
There was a load of other stuff, but that's what I remember.
You need to change your shipname to Puffin! Thanks for sharing this, I needed cheering up this morning.