›

We should talk about literature

12345679»

Comments

  • PomonaPomona Shipmate
    Degrees work differently in the UK and students in secondary/high school specialise very early - by 17/18 you're usually only studying 3 subjects at most, people going onto more technical/practical subjects at university like music production or fine art might only do one subject. We don't have the tradition of having to take classes outside of your specialism at university, most people study one subject for their whole 3-year degree.
  • PomonaPomona Shipmate
    @ChastMastr I agree wrt the damage done by No Child Left Behind and dropping phonics in the US. In the UK phonics are still taught as part of the National Curriculum - I don't know about sentence diagramming for younger kids but it was being taught as part of A Level English Lang&Lit (pre-uni course for 16-18yos) in 2018 at least. The issue with that is that A Levels are optional as we leave school at 16 in the UK, and of course people can do whatever combination of A Level courses - there aren't any compulsory subjects, someone doing 3 STEM or performing arts subjects for eg doesn't have to do any grammar or writing related learning at all. I don't know how it works for English lessons for younger kids here because all my friends with kids only have preschoolers.

    I am a bit puzzled by your reference to old books and their value - like of course there are old books worth studying, but their age and what they teach aren't related. After all, Donne and Milton are both around the same age and teach quite different things. In 1558, John Knox's The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstruous Regiment of Women, John Dee's Propaedeumata Aphoristica, and Thomas Watson's Holsome and Catholyke Doctryne concerninge the Seven Sacramentes of Chrystes Church were all published - their year of publication is about all they have in common, along with two being written by men named John.
  • PomonaPomona Shipmate
    ChastMastr wrote: »
    Well, I'm one of those awful people. As soon as I started studying critical theory during my degree, my thought on reading the bible was "it's a text". This meant that it was susceptible to examination in all of the ways I was being exposed to. This excited me greatly, and I still think it was a useful and valuable insight. I am completely incapable of ascribing any value to the bible that is not true of any other creatively produced text. All have the capacity to reveal the divine to us, and therefore of being the word of God, because they are all the products of both creation and creativity. Genre and history have their place in this exploration, but they are not all there is.

    I don’t think you’re an awful person. ❤️ The people who hold such views as I’ve described aren’t the same thing as the views themselves. ❤️

    I'm a bit confused by this. Surely the problem with awful views is that they make you do awful things? I wouldn't say that someone disagreeing with me on literary criticism has an "awful" view, it's just different. I don't understand how Post-structuralism as a view could be an actual enemy of yours, as opposed to something that would actually harm you.

    Like, I hate Nazis because of their Nazi views. Those views are bad because they make them do terrible things, because our beliefs affect what we do. Believing that literary meaning is all constructed by the reader is not going to beat anyone up or burn a building down.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    The belief that all truth is subjective and biased may not make liberal progressives do awful things, but it was a factor in the early justifications for the editorial philosophy of Fox News.

    There are harms and harms of course. Not all harms are awful - some are first world problems.
    One thought: it's been commented that there's much less literary criticism aimed at non-academic readers now than there was fifty years ago. There's less general awareness of books that are written before the current publishing cycle. Furthermore, the books that are published tend to be aimed at what will be teachable in academic settings: not so much of a problem for novelists but I think it may influence the selection of poems in poetry collections (individual or anthology). I think that's a minor harm - if only because it means that for people interested in older books written to an older aesthetic standard there isn't the general demand that leads to them being published.
Sign In or Register to comment.