›

Myer Briggs typology…

MaxNRHMaxNRH Shipmate Posts: 6
Anybody ever tried taking the test…on Myers Briggs personality ? I have done it. INFP Here.

Comments

  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited 6:06AM
    I did an Economist article about Myers-Briggs for an ESL free-talking class a few years back. IIRC, the article made it out to be that the mother-daughter team who invented it were of rather unimpressive credentials, and that the test was basically a glorified parlour game.

    Not sure if I've ever taken it myself, but possibly. I do remember taking something called the Watson Diagnostic Test in junior high, mid-1980s. Maybe that was more related to academic abilities than personality, but I really can't remember.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    Hmm. "Watson Diagnostic Test" as the name of a psychological test doesn't even seem to warrant a wiki page. I'm wondering if it was an inconsequential fad that's now been totally forgotten , or maybe I'm misremembering the name.
  • ArethosemyfeetArethosemyfeet Shipmate, Heaven Host
    stetson wrote: »
    I did an Economist article about Myers-Briggs for an ESL free-talking class a few years back. IIRC, the article made it out to be that the mother-daughter team who invented it were of rather unimpressive credentials, and that the test was basically a glorified parlour game.

    I was going to say "astrology for middle managers" but... yeah.
  • SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    I remember Myers-Briggs tests from about 25 years ago. I didn’t realise it was still a thing
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    I gather the astrology for middle managers use is rather opposed to it's original intention; the original intention being to say other people aren't doing things wrong, just differently. Whereas the astrology for middle managers use does assume that there is a right way to do any particular job and you need to get people who will do it right. In other words it's taken a picture that was supposed to encourage diversity and turned it into a tool to create uniformity.

    I don't think it mattered quite as much for the original intention that there wasn't much scientific basis to it (it has some overlap with the Big Five model for which there is I believe some scientific basis).
  • PomonaPomona Shipmate
    Jungian pseudoscience. Pass.
  • PuzzlerPuzzler Shipmate
    We did this in my school( workplace) over 20 years ago. I have the chance to do it again this month. I’ll be interested to see if I get the same results.
  • SpikeSpike Ecclesiantics & MW Host, Admin Emeritus
    Puzzler wrote: »
    We did this in my school( workplace) over 20 years ago. I have the chance to do it again this month. I’ll be interested to see if I get the same results.

    I’ve done it twice in the same week and got different results
  • Nick TamenNick Tamen Shipmate
    Back when we got married, it was standard to do Myers-Briggs as part of pre-marital counseling, and I think it’s fine if kept in perspective—as @Dafyd says, simply understanding that there are different ways of doing and approaching things, with no one way being the “right” way, and perhaps giving some understanding in to how a partner or the like might approach things differently. I’d say Ms. Tamen and I found it useful in that way.

    But it’s meant to be information to be used to the extent it’s useful, not a diagnosis.


  • MaxNRHMaxNRH Shipmate Posts: 6
    Some even combined it with the Enneagram ….I take it both just as a guideline, nothing Concrete.
  • stetsonstetson Shipmate
    edited 1:45PM
    Does this really need to be in Epiphanies? Even for people who have endured hardship due to mental health issues, I would doubt that in most cases Myers-Briggs played any significant role one way or another in their struggles.
  • The_RivThe_Riv Shipmate
    I was part of a parish-wide Meyers-Briggs assessment 20-25 years ago. Like @Nick Tamen shared, it was an attempt to give insights into some of the whys and wherefores re: one's fellow parishioners. It was fun, I remember, but one detail at the end struck me a bit weird, which was when one of the presenters declared that analysis of Jesus in the Gospels rendered him a perfect balance between each of the four regions: I-E, N-S, T-F, P-J.

    Okay, I guess.
  • Graven ImageGraven Image Shipmate
    INFJ the two times I took it, 20 years apart. I felt it was close to who I am, but I knew that without the test.
  • CathscatsCathscats Shipmate
    When I was in a US seminary 30+ years ago we all had to take it. It’s cultural biases were shown up by all of us overseas students, from various parts of the globe, getting the same profile. But I had to do it more than once when in the States - at that time it seemed to be used for all kinds of things.
Sign In or Register to comment.