›

Anne Carson (poet)

MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
... is a Canadian poet and philologist whom I've never heard of and who just won the Nobel Prize in Literature. I seem to recall the Nobel likes to shine a spotlight on lesser-known literary figures, but still, I'm slightly embarrassed that her name doesn't even ring a bell faintly.

Is anyone familiar with her work who can share something about it?

And if you were going to award the Nobel prize for Literature to someone nobody has ever heard of, who would it be?

Comments

  • SojournerSojourner Shipmate
    No need to be embarrassed; when Patrick White won he was a virtual unknown outside of Oz.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    edited October 9
    I've read Anne Carson for many years, a translator who makes Sappho, Stesichorus and Euripides sound startlingly fresh and strange. She has outrageous moments and isn't scared of the erotic. I loved The Glass Essay, a long poem-essay all about heartbreak following the end of her marriage combined with an intense commentary on Emily Bronte. The best known early work is from 1998, Autobiography of Red which reframes the myth of Herakles and the red-winged monster Geryon as a queer coming-out story. There's also her memorial book for her brother, Nox, which draws on Catullus' famous poem for his dead brother. As well as many sharp and tender observations on husbands...
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    I read that she's Roman Catholic, although online articles only say raised Roman Catholic.
    I've read The Autobiography of Red: it's up to a lot of things at once and I only took about half of them half in. The meditation on monstrousness is I think both the most obvious and least unique part of the work.
  • She sounds interesting, on many levels. I will have to see what I can find (as I suspect many have said over the last day or two)
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    What I didn't know before yesterday is that Anne Carson is living with Parkinson's and wrote a very moving, unsentimental account of her difficulties in the LRB.
  • DafydDafyd Hell Host
    Dafyd wrote: »
    I read that she's Roman Catholic, although online articles only say raised Roman Catholic.
    Checking: the introduction.in the most recent Oxford Book of American Poetry says Carson is practicing, and quotes her as saying that she is 'baffled' not 'devout'. Also, 'if God we're knowable why would we believe in him?'
    The selection is a number of subpoems from a longer poem called The Truth about God - one of which is God's Justice in which on the day God is to make justice God gets caught up in making a dragonfly. The poem seems to sympathise.
  • MarsupialMarsupial Shipmate
    Thanks for the comments everyone. Will look out for her work.

    @Sojourner it may not have been evident from my (unintentionally) misleading screen name but I am actually in Canada, hence the embarrassment. :smile:
  • SojournerSojourner Shipmate
    I am aware of that.
  • FirenzeFirenze Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    MaryLouise wrote: »
    I loved The Glass Essay, a long poem-essay all about heartbreak following the end of her marriage combined with an intense commentary on Emily Bronte.

    Available to read here. She has a remarkable way of taking a word and, as it were, resetting it to show different facets of meaning.
Sign In or Register to comment.