Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Between the Equator and the South Pole

Comments

• PigletPiglet All Saints Host, Circus Host
    Are you completely locked down, as in can't even do grocery shopping? :flushed:
  • I keep thinking "It's all ahead of them [New Zealanders]. Up till now it's been a threat, an exercise in discipline, and a fear ... now it's for real". Listening to Jacinda, PM today talking about 1000 new cases a day I thought "Even you have no idea how bad it'll get"
    (Here in the State of Israel we are at 70000 new cases a day for the past week or two. Population 9.4 million, so about twice A~NZ)

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    No lockdown at all Piglet*. The run on the the Supermarkets was because those who test positive will have to self isolate at home at home - so people were stocking up on the usual things. I bought a large jar of Fix and Fog's Everything butter, which is to me as Hunny is to Pooh Bear. (So this wasn't me hording, it was me buying my usual amount).

Masking, physical distancing, self isolating are the main thrust of plans (as well as everyone being kind to each other). Limits on the number of people allowed in buildings, Eating out is OK for the double vaccinated, but we will continue to use vaccine passports. Access to council owned facilities is by flashing the Vaccine Passport and scanning the QR code. If I didn't already have one when this was announced I would have run to get jabbed. People who aren't jabbed can do a click and collect with books or ring in their choice and pick it up, but they can't browse the shelves.

Part of the problem is that, in relation to other OECD countries NZ has fewer Intensive care or High Dependency units per head of population. Pre Covid winter flu used to swamp hospitals, even with a strong vaccination programme that was free for those over 65 or vulnerable.

* that could change if/when the virus his poorly vaccinated pockets of the population, but no country-wide lockdown is planned.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    That sounds sensible, @Huia, and hopefully masking and social distancing will suffice, especially once most people are vaccinated and boosted. If you have cases in your neighborhood or think you might have been exposed, please see if you can get hold of an oximeter. We got one here from the pharmacy in 2020 and it was very reassuring when we had winter head colds or chest infections because it showed oxygen saturation levels above 95% and we didn't altogether (at that stage) trust the negatives or positives from local test kits.

When my partner had Covid earlier this month and had trouble sleeping because her breathing was rapid and shallow even when lying face down, we could check to see if her oxygen levels were below 92% which would indicate she needed to get to hospital for more help breathing. She had fevers and muscle aches but her breathing stayed stable. We let friends and others in the village know we have an oximeter so they can borrow it.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Thanks MaryLouise - that's useful to know.

At this stage I have decided to do my usual two hour duty at the local voluntary library on Friday and cover for a friend on Saturday, but I'm undecided about the following weeks. I think I will just have to see how it goes. I'm double vaccinated with a booster shot, but have a couple of factors that could make make me a bit more vulnerable.

I'm also going to ride my bike when shopping, which means I can carry more at a time (so shop less) and avoid using buses - where some drongoes seem to believe masks should only cover chins or foreheads 🙄.

The other thing I need to do with some urgency is make my will, because family circumstances have changed since my last attempt. " Being of (mainly) sound mind, I leave everything to my cat", 😻
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    "I'm suspicious about the paw print at the end of this document. It looks a little feline."
  • rexoryrexory Shipmate
    Huia wrote: »
    Thanks MaryLouise - that's useful to know.

" Being of (mainly) sound mind, I leave everything to my cat", [/i]😻

:-)
  • TukaiTukai Shipmate
    Last week I went to buy an oximeter and a thermometer , just in case. But oximeters (for which demand outside hospitals is relatively low) were sold out already. So of course were RAT's, as a sign at the pharmacy door stated.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    That's where I adopted Aroha from, Galilit and they were so helpful. It's about half a kilometre from where I live. They allowed me to go and sit in the kitten room and Aroha launched herself at me and clung on. So, in effect she chose me. I had intended leaving some to them and to The Animal and Bird Hospital who, over the years have been vets to Tig, Patchy, Sam, Georgie-Porgy fat'n'fluffy and Aroha, as well as a little stray whom I called Claude whom I took to them during the quakes because he has a sore eye. If I couldn't find his staff I was going to fly him to Wellington as Dad always wanted a cat called Claude ( or maybe Clawed), His eye infection was FIV and it was quite advanced so they euthanized him for me. 😿
  • LatchKeyKidLatchKeyKid Purgatory Host
    Just returned home from a wedding in Canberra, and surprised to find no one has yet posted on the Oz day of divided emotions and BBQ breakfasts.

January has been a month of births to 40+ (daughters of) friends, a funeral of LKKspouse's closest cousin whom border closures prevented us from seeing since last February, and the wedding of a friends son.

The wedding had been postponed three times since April 2020 because of Covid. The wedding was planned for old Parliament House and we feared for yet another cancellation after protestors set fire to the doors. The doors were not the problem, it was the water damage from the sprinklers that meant the wedding could no longer be held there. However, the management arranged for the wedding to take place in the National Gallery sculpture garden, with the reception held in the Gandel Room. So alls well that ends well.
  • Mrs BA and I shared an interesting and exciting Australia Day. On the eve, we attended an open-air concert by the Australian Army Band - Newcastle, commencing just before sunset. The first live performance we had seen in almost three years, it was accompanied by yellow-tailed black cockatoos returning to their nests, cicadas in competition with the band and flying foxes on their way to forage. Masking and social distancing was well-arranged and enforced. Interaction between band and audience was somewhat muted by these measures but it was a fun evening.
    Today, yours truly featured in the published honours list in recognition of my community service over almost six decades. This caused much excitement among family and friends. We were joined for bbq lunch by eldest son and family, along with his best mate and his daughter. This was enjoyed in the backyard with a cooling breeze and rainbow lorikeets squabbling in the bottlebrush next door.
    Having caught up on all my posts and messages, I'm off to bed. Quieter day tomorrow.
    Congratulations on the honour, BA - are you now Sir Barnabas Aus? :wink:
    Congratulations @Barnabas_Aus
    @Clarence . How are things with you? The news this morning had flood warnings for your area.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Many congratulations from us also Barnabas. Does you posting here count as a community service?
  • Mrs BA and I shared an interesting and exciting Australia Day. On the eve, we attended an open-air concert by the Australian Army Band - Newcastle, commencing just before sunset. The first live performance we had seen in almost three years, it was accompanied by yellow-tailed black cockatoos returning to their nests, cicadas in competition with the band and flying foxes on their way to forage. Masking and social distancing was well-arranged and enforced. Interaction between band and audience was somewhat muted by these measures but it was a fun evening.
    Today, yours truly featured in the published honours list in recognition of my community service over almost six decades. This caused much excitement among family and friends. We were joined for bbq lunch by eldest son and family, along with his best mate and his daughter. This was enjoyed in the backyard with a cooling breeze and rainbow lorikeets squabbling in the bottlebrush next door.
    Having caught up on all my posts and messages, I'm off to bed. Quieter day tomorrow.

Just saw this; congrats

• SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Congratulations on the honour, BA - are you now Sir Barnabas Aus? :wink:

No @Piglet since the fiasco of an Australian knighthood for Prince Philip a few years ago, they have once again receded into disuse. I may use a post-nominal. The award ranks just above an OBE and below a CBE in the Australian order of precedence.
  • MaryLouiseMaryLouise Shipmate, Host Emeritus
    Congrats @Barnabas_Aus!
  • Gee D wrote: »
    Many congratulations from us also Barnabas. Does you posting here count as a community service?
    As some threads here have given me encouragement towards parish initiatives [not least our current pastoral frustrations], it certainly plays a role in my voluntary work. Whether what I say here constitutes a service I leave to the judgment of others.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    If the powers-that-be knew of your posting, it probably added a point or 2 to the overall reckoning.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    Well done B_A ... heartily deserved recognition, I suspect.

I will genuflect next time you enter the room :smiley:
  • I'm down at Mum's following some storm damage to her house. Nothing too bad, except for a ceiling collapse in a tiled area and some water damage to carpets. Today we deal with the insurance company...
  • And congratulations Barnabas on your honour. Personally, I am in favor of knighthoods, but only for sportspeople. It burns me up that Botham is a Lord and Hadlee a knight.
  • Dunno about that: how about papal knighthoods for (RC) church musos?😜
    @Simon Toad , I hope the insurance company treats you properly.
    Sojourner wrote: »
    Dunno about that: how about papal knighthoods for (RC) church musos?😜

I reckon all cathedral organists ought to be automatically given knighthoods ... :mrgreen:

An Organist's Widow Has Spoken.
  • @Simon Toad , I hope the insurance company treats you properly.

Thanks LKK. They are a bit slow, but they are dealing with thousands of claims. Its accepted pending an inspection, but we are waiting for the "make safe" still. Hopefully tomorrow.
  • @Clarence . How are things with you? The news this morning had flood warnings for your area.

Just a bit boggy around the edges - no serious flooding anywhere. The main problem is that the humidity has caused our smoke alarms to keep giving error messages. Fortunately it is so wet that I doubt the house could catch fire anyway.

Congratulations Barnabas!
  • If a few Oz shipmates could frequent the Canada thread, it would be appreciated. The Canadian Tories just had a, um, Leadership Spill (as I believe it is called) and we're rather rookies at it in The Other Dominion.
    Are your lot thinking about ditching their "leader" as well? There seems to be something going round ... :confused:
  • No, that is reserved for Federal Convention among my lot and that isn't until next year.
    Sorry, SPK - I've just realised I was reading your post as though it was written by an Australian (I was probably mixing you up in my head with Latch Key Kid), and thinking the Australian conservatives (not sure what they're called) were trying to defenestrate their leader.

Do please proceed, and ignore anything I say on subjects I don't understand! :blush:
  • Liberals. Quite confusing for those from the rest of the Commonwealth. No, not that Commonwealth the other one. ;)
  • Piglet wrote: »
    Sorry, SPK - I've just realised I was reading your post as though it was written by an Australian (I was probably mixing you up in my head with Latch Key Kid), and thinking the Australian conservatives (not sure what they're called) were trying to defenestrate their leader.

I'd love to see our conservatives defenestrate their leader, but I'm concerned that might improve their prospects in the upcoming election.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    edited February 2022
    Liberals. Quite confusing for those from the rest of the Commonwealth. No, not that Commonwealth the other one. ;)

The Commonwealth of Australia was constituted by the Commonwealth of Australia Act of the UK Parliament in 1900. Can anyone recall when the name British Commonwealth of Nations was first used - some time after then. Of course, Cromwell's Commonwealth predates them both.

The Australian Labor Party came into existence with the establishment of the Commonwealth. The conservative parties tried a variety of names and did not settle on Liberal until 1944 or 45. As you suggest, it was a bit of a misnomer on foundation
    edited February 2022
    Gentle Hostly Oink

I've split off the posts about the Right or Wrong hymn tunes, and sent them off to Eccles, where they know all about that sort of thing.

Thank you.

Piglet, AS host
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    Liberals. Quite confusing for those from the rest of the Commonwealth. No, not that Commonwealth the other one. ;)

When I was an about-to-graduate-undergrad in NZ and first looked to move to Melbourne in, gulp, 1982, I went to my univerity library, where all the Oz university handbooks were held. Each proudly proclaimed that for Coomonwealth Students fees were waived. I was so excited, and stated planning a Masters at Monash.

By the time the January Snooze came to an end, I was firmly ensconced in a flat in Brunswick, and discovered my mistake. Fortunately I ended up as a candidate for ordination and dragged myself thrugh a BD ...

As it happens I did, a decade later, start a Masters at Monash, though after a Prelim/Hono(u)rs year at Monash I made my first move back to Kiwiland. I completed the Masters Prelim there (here). But then (this gets head spinny) by the time I finished that I was back in Oz (albeit NSW), working remotely to complete the thesis, with long 'phone consultations with my Supervisor in pre Zoom / FaceTime etc days.

Sigh. Life was not boring. I then started a PhD at the University of Sydney, but my supervisor died and I was transferred to ACU Melbourne, and, er, finished the degree in NZ. No fees though :smiley:

• A question for our Australian friends: How often is your national anthem sung in churches, given that it has zero religious content?

I ask this question after viewing a video of your Parliamentary Inauguration Service ( https://www.facebook.com/goaaus/videos/545557276434159/ ), which took place in a Greek Orthodox Church in Canberra, and where the service proper was preceded by the singing of the national anthem.
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    it ain't got much goddy stuff in it
    I have never known the national anthem to be sung. I certainly would not join in. It's a bit of a dirge IMHO.

Anyway, it tends to be sung rather like this Sensitive New Age Cowpersons rendition.
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    ROFL - yup .. that pretty much summs it up. Though I've dined out on This - get past the important 30 seconds though and its potentential for a decade now.

NZ's anthem is infamous in NZ for having its entire Defence Policy in its title
  • Zappa wrote: »
    ROFL - yup .. that pretty much summs it up. Though I've dined out on This - get past the important 30 seconds though and its potentential for a decade now.

NZ's anthem is infamous in NZ for having its entire Defence Policy in its title

I’d forgotten that piece of Adam Hills genius.

The anthem we really need is the one that acknowledges 60000 years. I can’t find a YouTube, so this will do for now https://youtu.be/RY_tl-N93AY

• ZappaZappa Shipmate
    absolutely - I'd move back for that anthem!
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    edited February 2022
    Yes, indeed. It does not contain a word of the militarism so common in many other anthems.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    In good news, rare to this site, the conservative government of NSW has been shown to be in real problems. Substantial swings against it in 4 by-elections resulted in the electorate of Bega on the far south coast being won by the Labor Party for the first time since the seat was created. The seat of Strathfield was comfortably retained by Labor. Labor was never going to win Willoughby, and almost certainly never will, but the swing to an independent there of 18% - that's right, 18% - must have shocked Liberal leaders. Even Monaro showed a swing of almost 7%. Were results like that achieved at general election (and it's pretty unlikely that such large swings be recorded there). Labor would be very comfortably in power.
  • Another Coalition hater who viewed the results with satisfaction. We can only hope.
  • The Labor Party will need to find quality candidates like Dr Holland to ensure that marginal seats can be won and some safe Government seats threatened at both Federal and State elections. After 46 years in our branch [a non-factional group] I despair at some of the captain's picks which have been made. We could have won Upper Hunter with a more eloquent candidate more suited to the campaign trail than union meetings at the mine gate. I fear the captain's pick of an Olympic shooter for the neighbouring Federal electorate may see us lose a seat which has been held by Labor since 1910.

On a happier note, Mrs BA has been investigating the contents of the freezer to see what needs to be cooked before expiry of use-by dates. Dinner tonight was roast duck breasts in a Peking-style sauce, baby yellow and purple carrots in an Asian-spiced glaze, kumara mash also Asian spiced and steamed broccoli and beans. For dessert I had diced rockmelon topped with coconut yoghurt [home-made using the NZ EasiYo product] and passionfruit from a friend's vine. A bit different from the traditional Sunday roast.