Please see Styx thread on the Registered Shipmates consultation for the main discussion forums - your views are important, continues until April 4th.

Between the Equator and the South Pole

Comments

• HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Yum!! Any leftovers??

Yesterday a friend had a job measuring up for some fancy windows in Akaroa - which is about an hour's drive out of town on Bank's Peninsula ( the bit that sticks out on the East Coast of the South Island). He knows that Akaroa is one of my favourite places to visit and that I hadn't been out there in the last few years. Even though drizzle was falling for most of the morning nothing can take away the beauty of Akaroa Harbour (well apart from the cruise ships that berthed there after the earthquakes wrecked Lyttelton Harbour - Christchurch's Port - now rebuilt).

I hope to do a return visit when the windows are fitted, but meanwhile he has maintenance work in both Hanmer Springs ( thermal hot pools) and Arthur's Pass which a small alpine settlement on the road through to the West Coast. Sometimes Kea ( NZ mountain Parrots) can be seen there.
  • Huia, we were on one of those cruise ships three years ago, and I have to agree that Akaroa is beautiful.. So was the drive to and from Christchurch. We are keen to return!
  • Back on line this afternoon after lightening zapped the modem last week. It was fortunate that just a few minutes before the strike we turned off both computers. Such is life in the 21st century
  • Back on line this afternoon after lightening zapped the modem last week. It was fortunate that just a few minutes before the strike we turned off both computers. Such is life in the 21st century

If the lightning had followed power or ethernet cables to the computers it wouldn't have cared if they'd have been on or off in terms of frying them ;)
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    Back on line this afternoon after lightening zapped the modem last week. It was fortunate that just a few minutes before the strike we turned off both computers. Such is life in the 21st century

If the lightning had followed power or ethernet cables to the computers it wouldn't have cared if they'd have been on or off in terms of frying them ;)

The computers were unplugged from power and ethernet
  • KarlLB wrote: »
    Back on line this afternoon after lightening zapped the modem last week. It was fortunate that just a few minutes before the strike we turned off both computers. Such is life in the 21st century

The computers were unplugged from power and ethernet

Ah well, that's a bit more than turned off ;)
  • How did you fare tonight @Dennis the Menace? That was some light and sound show. We were just coming to the end of the parish council meeting in the church hall when it hit. We could hardly hear each other for rain on the tin roof, wind and thunder. Got home to find that there had been a power glitch but fortunately no damage. It would have hit you a bit later as it moved towards the coast from us in the Valley.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Dennis that's what my Dad would have call a "belt and braces" approach.
  • How did you fare tonight @Dennis the Menace? That was some light and sound show. We were just coming to the end of the parish council meeting in the church hall when it hit. We could hardly hear each other for rain on the tin roof, wind and thunder. Got home to find that there had been a power glitch but fortunately no damage. It would have hit you a bit later as it moved towards the coast from us in the Valley.

I am up in Qld for a few days so hopefully all is well back home. We are here to help old friends celebrate their recent marriage. They have been together for 48 years and finally tied the knot, i think we could have influenced their decision. Haven't seen them for a couple of years and as one has several health issues inc the big C so the time spent is precious.
  • Huia wrote: »
    Dennis that's what my Dad would have call a "belt and braces" approach.

Nothing like being practical
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate

Nothing like being practical

True - and thanks for posting about it. I always unplug my computer and washing machine
    when thunder and lightening threaten, but being a technopeasant I hadn't thought about my internet connection.

I shall change my behaviour forthwith.

When marriage equality was passed into law here a friend told me of two of his friends who married after a similar time together. I was happy for them, but also remember an ex boss from a holiday job and his partner who both died before the legislation was passed.
  • LatchKeyKidLatchKeyKid Purgatory Host
    It had been a Slow Train Coming, but too slow for many.

Our presbytery was divided over how the UCA should proceed. At a prayer meeting some anguished over how terrible SSM was, so I followed up by leading the meeting in singing the commonly sung "Come as you are, That's how I want you."
  • It had been a Slow Train Coming, but too slow for many.

Our presbytery was divided over how the UCA should proceed. At a prayer meeting some anguished over how terrible SSM was, so I followed up by leading the meeting in singing the commonly sung "Come as you are, That's how I want you."

Our congregation passed the motion to allow SSM almost unanimously late 2018. The one dissenter who wouldn't attend our wedding in December 2020 was very curious to know 'what kind of vows were exchanged'. The person she asked responded had you attended you would heard them yourself! Poor love, not sure what she was on about.

"All will be well, just come as you are"
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Not heard from you for some time and hope that's a good sign. How is married life?
  • It had been a Slow Train Coming, but too slow for many.

A Dylan reference and one of my fave hymns in one post! :love:
    I have a Spotify Funeral (no hymn) playlist in construction.
    It contains a few BD songs. It will never contain Amazing Grace - too wormy for me.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    On returning from the funeral of a friend, my Mum said she would come back and haunt us if Amazing Grace was played at her funeral.
  • Not quite how you are thinking of it in the title, but if timings pan out (it will be mighty tight between getting home from work and getting in to the fleapit) the Knotweed and I will be seeing South at the cinema tonight: http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/725774/index.html

We are both big Antarctic exploration geeks - I'm still slightly sad that I didn't apply for a job at the BAS many years ago, but if I had got it I'd have never met her, so...
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    It contains a few BD songs. It will never contain Amazing Grace - too wormy for me.

I have mandated "Forever Young" (acoustic version) for mine
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Good choice Zappa.

Today's maximum temperature is forecast to reach 28C. But tomorrow the forecast is 18C. so I can go back to sorting the jungle that is my backyard where, according to my gardening neighbour I have a tree that is considered a noxious weed. I'd get someone with a chain saw to tackle it, but that would cost money and I have to pay the insurance excess on the hearing aid I lost this week.

I might do some baking and bribe my lawn mowing friend as he has about six of them and uses them on a regular basis. Unfortunately my lack of upper body strength is such that I have difficulty lifting even the smallest one which makes it too dangerous to attempt. I have seen some very nasty photos of people who misjudged their skill with a chain saw.

The lucky ones survived.

I kill some with glyphosate*. A neighbour tried to kill a tree (not noxious) by chainsawing it to the ground. Now there are half a dozen trees growing from the stump.

* I know some people object to glyphosate, because of its supposed carcinogenic properties. My dislike is of the seed control by the chemical company.
    Zappa wrote: »

Where do I find that? I seem to have a few versions, but not an acoustic one.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Latchkey Kid the instructions I found on-line were to cut the tree down then paint weed killer onto the stump within 15 seconds - which sounded like a small window of time. The problem is that as well as the noxious tree there is an elderberry. They aren't noxious, but they are difficult to get rid of, The little old cottage next door was originally a farm house and my section was the garden - hence the berry trees. I hate elderberries,
  • BroJamesBroJames Purgatory Host
    They make nice wine. Or if you harvest the flowers you can make elderflower champagne, and you won’t get berries.
    Huia wrote: »
    Latchkey Kid the instructions I found on-line were to cut the tree down then paint weed killer onto the stump within 15 seconds - which sounded like a small window of time. The problem is that as well as the noxious tree there is an elderberry. They aren't noxious, but they are difficult to get rid of, The little old cottage next door was originally a farm house and my section was the garden - hence the berry trees. I hate elderberries,

I cut and paint if the trunk is no bigger than 8cm. Above that it is too hard for me to saw and I drill and fill. I use the largest drill that can fit in the chuck (about 6mm I think) and drill to about 2cm. I fill with 1:1 glyphosate and if the level goes down quickly I refill it. I make the holes about three finger widths apart, and as low down as possible. If I can expose major roots then I make holes s far down the root as possible. This is very effective with Camphor Laurels, and can be effective on such things as Brazilian Pepper trees and Guavas. I have also used it on slash pines. Most of this is done on a landcare site a few of us are working on. It's my responsibility to do this as I am the member with the chemcert accreditation.
  • MooMoo Kerygmania Host
    If you cut the bark off in a ring, the tree will die. I assume the roots will die too. Cut it down when the tree is obviously dead.
  • Moo wrote: »
    If you cut the bark off in a ring, the tree will die. I assume the roots will die too. Cut it down when the tree is obviously dead.

The roots don't die, unless a systemic infection sets in through the wound. The tree above the cut dies. However new shoots spring out from below the cut.
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    Zappa wrote: »

Where do I find that? I seem to have a few versions, but not an acoustic one.

My bad - I meant the "slow version" on Planet Waves
  • Tickets for flying into Perth in late March purchased with all fingers crossed. A two week-three weekend stay in planned. Poor Mrs Curly will be home alone as the three offspring will have flown the coup, if not all permanently.

I'll be home in time to depart 3 days later to Byron Bay for Bluesfest with some mates.

Got some work on at the moment but semi-retirement is looking ok.

mr curly
    @mr curly . Have PMd you about your visit to my area.
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    Latchkey Kid, I'm wondering about drilling the holes ,putting in the poison and wrapping the stump in cling wrap in case of rain or curious cats. Do you think that would still work?

I'm also propagating my favourite mini roses because some of the original plants are not where I now want them to be. I've done it before. I just need to remember to water them.
    It may well work. I never work when it is raining. I try to get each hole filled within 10 seconds of drilling so that it gets taken into the tree. If you are worried about cats you could wrap, but any physical barrier such as a hessian bag would work.

This Glyphosate label pdf show some tree species that it will work with, though I have used it with others such as slash pines. The drill and fill guide is at the bottom of page 6. I don't know the rules for using it in NZ. Here, private home use does not seem to be controlled, but I work on public land and on that and on agricultural land it is.

250ml is enough for a number of trees. I use a soft plastic tomato or bbq sauce bottle to squirt it into the holes. For safety's sake I remove any food labels so that it is not consumed by mistake.
    I wear cotton clothes and plastic gloves when using it. Glyphosate actually has low toxicity. The red dye I add to it to show where I have used it and if there are any splashes on my clothes is more carcinogenic than the glyphosate. The next batch of dye I purchase will not be a carcinogen.

PS. I use a battery powered drill.

I hope this doesn't scare you off. It's just sensible precautions.
  • Gee D wrote: »
    Not heard from you for some time and hope that's a good sign. How is married life?

Married life is great, most of the time we don't think about it, possibly as it will be 42 years in September.

'all shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well'
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Great
  • HuiaHuia Shipmate
    LatchkeyKid, thanks - it doesn't scare me off, I tend to be very cautious around poisonous substances, especially with the local cats in mind, though I can always shut mine inside and the freeloader who hangs around in the garage for a couple of hours.

Also I am going to need to call on help from the bloke who mows my lawns for access to power tools and he, though generous with his time and tools is not the most safety conscious person.

I exhausted myself yesterday and expected to wake up with aching muscles, but instead I woke up feeling really relaxed - as though had spent half an hour meditating. Today's forecast maximum temperature is 18C which is perfect for another day in the garden.

It is widely expected that NZ will announce moving to the next level in dealing with covid today. The radio announcer who reported over 30,000 new cases misread her information though - it was over 3,000. (I know it could reach that in time, but it was such a massive jump I needed a sit down and a cup of tea.
    Woke up to major flooding in north east New South Wales and South East Queensland. During heavy rain last night our down pipes to the storm water outlets banked up and leaves were washed down to block the drain covers. Fortunately we noticed and were able to clear the blockages before any flooding reached the house. Our biggest little town has flooding and we will check when it gets lighter this morning. Lismore's levees were breached during the night rather earlier than predicted for late morning.

Received an alert from the disaster relief chaplaincy network to monitor for messages asking for availability. It's quite likely that all the roads out of town will be flooded. LKKspouse and I met just after the Brisbane floods of 74 and we always look for places out of the flood zone. We are up on one of the hills at the edge of town and are unlikely to be flooded, though the amount of water coming down from further up the hill means we have to be monitoring to make sure the drains are clear.

I didn't venture out to church last night, and I won't be going to a meeting today.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Best wishes from us, and prayers for the emergency workers as well
    @Gee D . Thanks.
    The town on the flat is now being flooded by the river, and water is over the only bridge that connects us to town. The alternative circuitous routes are also flooded and the route out through the hills is to another town which is also being flooded.
    We are not too worried for now. We have power, water and sufficient food. The local ABC radio transmissions by FM and online is breaking up.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    My brother-in-law's sister is in Lismore, but on higher ground that doesn't usually flood. But a friend in Queensland has had her house inundated almost to the roof. She and her husband got out before the flood and are staying with friends, thankfully. She also has a stepson, but I think he is at his mother's place at the moment.
  • DooneDoone Shipmate
    🕯
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    Just found out from my sister's father-in-law on fb that his daughter, her husband and 2 teenage kids did get flooded. They are sheltering in the roof cavity of their neighbour's house with the neighbour and her children. Rescue choppers can only rescue in the daytime and there are 100 rescues ahead of them. Please pray for them and all waiting for rescue. They could hear distressed cattle outside too so a very hard time.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    In a happy update the two families have boated themselves to safely.
    Pictures of lots of little boats make it look like the Dunkirk evacuation.
    Mili wrote: »
    In a happy update the two families have boated themselves to safely.

That's good. Then comes the clean-up.

The road (and its side-roads) into my town has beds and mattresses and other water sodden things on the nature strip (grass verge) and there are vehicles floated into fences and hedges. The farms on the road to another village has cars strewn in fields. There is a Porsche that did not make it across a flooded bridge.
    The major highway is blocked and shops are running out of food. Normal just-in-time delivery each day doesn't work when deliveries are interrupted for more than a couple of days.
  • MiliMili Shipmate
    I worry about all the livestock too, and the possible pollution caused by animals who didn't make it. Hope you are not too affected by shortages and closed roads, @LatchKeyKid
  • SarasaSarasa All Saints Host
    Thinking of you and your community @LatchKeyKid.
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    Mili wrote: »
    I worry about all the livestock too, and the possible pollution caused by animals who didn't make it. Hope you are not too affected by shortages and closed roads, @LatchKeyKid

Given the great flooding on this occasion, it's sadly likely that many cattle did not make it to safety.
  • Mili wrote: »
    Just found out from my sister's father-in-law on fb that his daughter, her husband and 2 teenage kids did get flooded. They are sheltering in the roof cavity of their neighbour's house with the neighbour and her children. Rescue choppers can only rescue in the daytime and there are 100 rescues ahead of them. Please pray for them and all waiting for rescue. They could hear distressed cattle outside too so a very hard time.

We are hundreds of kilometres to the south of the flooding. A friend of mine is a State Emergency Service communications volunteer and he has been manning the phones making follow-up calls to check on victims because the locals are too overwhelmed to be able to update the call database and confirm a task complete. When I was speaking to him yesterday evening after he came off shift there were still 600 active cases awaiting rescue. This would have grown overnight as the water moved downstream.

A former colleague has posted thanks for the rescue of her brother and his family who were brought off the roof of their flooded house by one of those Dunkirk-style little boats manned by locals. The water level was approximately two metres higher than the previous record and the speed at which it overtopped the levee seems to have caught many people unawares.
  • ZappaZappa Shipmate
    My heart goes out to all affected. I believe my Former Town copped a fair bit of unwanted H2O. And the clean-up will be heart-break. I'm so sorry for all affected. :cry:
  • Gee DGee D Shipmate
    There's a sad clip on one or other of the news sites of cattle being swept away, with the message that it was half the farmers herd. Maybe they'll be swept to somewhere they can get a footing and scramble to safety, but from the extent of the floodwater, that looks unlikely.